Drive away air awning (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Joint Ad
Hi. We are newbies and in fact so new we have only owned our Ducato camper for less than a month. It is left hand drive as we live in Spain. We are looking to buy a drive away air awning. However, almost everything we have found to be suitable, seem to be in UK or if in Spain, either out of stock or shipped in from UK but of course since Brexit, will now attract astronomical extra charges for import duty taxes etc. We have seen some on EBay, FB market place and have even considered purchasing one in the UK, when on a visit and bringing it back as checked in sports goods. The problem we are finding is that almost everything we look at in the UK have the “entry corridor” on the left hand side for which is obviously more suitable for UK rhd vehicles. However, my question is more about people’s experiences about parking up on site in a European country. Do you have to reverse onto plot or is it acceptable to drive in forwards. The reason I ask is because we are looking at forward facing awnings rather than the sideways looking ones. So, therefore if we bought a UK version of an awning such as the Vango Gallia which has a side on connection to the camper, if driving forward onto plot, then it wouldn’t be a problem whereas if we had to reverse onto plot, the “front” of the awning would actually be facing to the back of the plot which would possibly be a hedge! I hope all of that makes sense. Thank you in advance for any advice.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t have any knowledge of the awnings so cannot understand your issues Re positioning but after 8 years of camping on the continent I cannot recall ever having been told which way I have to pitch the van.

I often drove on as we were quite long and allowed our lifting bike rack more room over the open end of the pitch. I have also pitched many times side on in either direction.

It is not like here with CAMC pitching rules and there is no apparent fire regulations Re spacing like we have here. Sometimes the pitches are narrow and access narrow so that would dictate which way you could get onto it easiest with the trees & hedges which are often numerous compared to the UK. Hope this helps 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning and w2f

We recently bought a Rally Air Pro DA awning and the entrance to the corridor and be made to suit, i.e. 'back' & 'front' - whichever way you look at it :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back