Karrie

Free Member
Mar 15, 2019
Southsea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone - we're very new to motorhoming, picking 1st one up next week. Could u let us know please if it is safe to drink the water or do u have to buy bottles of water all the time? Any advice would help.Thank you.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Brita removes bad tastes, but not germs.
Those using such filters are evidence that it may not matter what you drink.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've never sterilised our tank - it gets drained down for the winter or if we're not going to be using it for a while, but that's about it. It gets used for cleaning cleaning teeth and for cooking and making tea and coffee.

We won't buy bottled water so we use one of Link Removedfor drinking water - which sits very nicely in the fridge door. It gets refilled whenever there's a fresh water tap around.

I quite like the idea of the Aqua Sol stuff that was mentioned....not for the sterilising properties but because it says it makes the water taste better....I hate it when my tea tastes funny! Though I'm not sure if I can be bothered adding it to the tank each time we refill.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Best advice I ever had was that you should "treat water like food". i.e. you can't just let it stagnate kn the tank for days and weeks and then go away - you wouldn't do that with a packet of ham.

Regularly changing, filling and emptying the water is important

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Germs build up resistance and for youngsters it’s crucial. Lots of evidence that in the first 5 years of life the more viruses and bacteria kids are exposed to, the better their immune system develops and the less chance of them developing serious diseases in later life.

For older people it’s not that simple. Their immune system is declining and what might be a breeze for a child to throw off can cause complications in a pensioner.

The bottom line is that everybody has a different approach to risk and that’s why the advice on here ranges from the extra cautious to forget it and just enjoy yourself. At the end of the day, you have to go with what suits you as a person.

I quite agree with what you say but if you read my blog, second to last sentence states "SENSIBLE CAUTIONS". Hypochondriacs are by definition not sensible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Best advice I ever had was that you should "treat water like food". i.e. you can't just let it stagnate kn the tank for days and weeks and then go away - you wouldn't do that with a packet of ham.

Regularly changing, filling and emptying the water is important

Next time you buy a bottled water product look at the Best By Date. Most are over a Year not days/weeks.

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I've heard that myself. Two trips to Spain but I still don't know why.
But it begs the question how come the Spanish don't have a problem even their young and old. Anybody know the the answer to that?

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
So from what you say everybody in Spain only drinks bottled water. Sounds an expensive and bad place to live to me.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I think people drinking bottled water in Spain is probably more from habit than from necessity. The EU sets pretty stringent quality standards for drinking water....according to this article from the European Parliament "more than 98.5% of tests carried out on drinking water samples between 2011 and 2013, met EU standards". So unless there are specific local issues then the tap water in Spain is more than likely perfectly safe to drink.

Upvote 0

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Hi everyone - we're very new to motorhoming, picking 1st one up next week. Could u let us know please if it is safe to drink the water or do u have to buy bottles of water all the time? Any advice would help.Thank you.
We buy bottled water it’s so cheap then just use tank water for washing

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
I can't speak for everyone, but I lived in a fairly rural area and everyone drank bottled water or water from local sources, not from the mains. The cost of water in Spain is a lot less than the UK.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Next time you buy a bottled water product look at the Best By Date. Most are over a Year not days/weeks.

Yes, but of course that is properly sealed, not sloshing around in a tank with fresh air and whatever else it contains. :)

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
we dont drink the water from the vans tank (never in any of my vans) but not for fear of germs but for the taste

i have encountered massive variations in taste on my travels, from metallic to just weird, even on big commercial sites....some are so metallic i could actually smell it as the water boiled and went through quite a lot of kettles before i realised it was the water

as for germs, i would think there would be more germs in the hosepipe most people use than in the tank

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
Total newbie (with Swift Escape 674), please forgive my ignorance. Do most people fill water tank from household hose then drive off to a campsite with full tank?

Do they then empty before leaving campsite (onto grass pitch)?
(Same for grey water?)

Someone said “empty hot water tank before winter” - is there a separate release for hot water tank?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Total newbie (with Swift Escape 674), please forgive my ignorance. Do most people fill water tank from household hose then drive off to a campsite with full tank?

Do they then empty before leaving campsite (onto grass pitch)?
(Same for grey water?)

Someone said “empty hot water tank before winter” - is there a separate release for hot water tank?
There are long threads on here about how much water to travel with, if you're going to a site you may fill up there. Don't drain your water, especially grey onto a campsite pitch. It will turn it into a smelly bog for the nexxt user.

Upvote 0

Buzz Baby

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since September 2017
We happily drank the water from our tank before reading about all the gross things that can grow in there. We flush it out when we can, but for drinking water we use a 5L container of water either from home (tea and coffee then taste like they always do) or from mains drinking water on site. We have been recommended to use white wine vinegar for cleaning the tank as it leaves less of an aftertaste. Any comments?

Upvote 0

Deleted User
old post i know, but.
Given the millions all over the world drinking water from sources we'd run screaming from because of what is, in part marketing, to get you to buy "pure" clean bottled water.. ill continue to drink from my onboard water tank.
I lived full time on my boat for 3 years, when i first cracked open the water tank inspection hatches (which were sealed shut and clearly had not been opened in decades) it was pretty grim in there. I cleaned them out best i could by hand, no chemicals, and repeatedly flushed through. Drank nothing but water from the onboards tanks and it tasted better than from any household tap (presumably because the chemicals the water boards add dissipate over time in a holding tank?).
I always run the water through the (non food grade) filling hose for a good while before filling my tank, but other than that I still seem to be alive.
I'll be employing the same approach on my motorhome. I may chuck a steri tab in at some point in the future though because I now have a plastic tank, (the boat tanks were rusty metal).

Upvote 0

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
We drink water straight from the tank, no problems. However, the ice cubes for the G&T's are made from bottled water - standards shouldn't be allowed to slip!

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We drink water straight from the tank, no problems. However, the ice cubes for the G&T's are made from bottled water - standards shouldn't be allowed to slip!
I have an ice making machine for this very task onboard! (still filled from the tank though even when im using the Fever Tree good stuff!) :D

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
We have used a Nature Pure water filter in all our motorhomes - just use it for drinking and water for tea, coffee etc as it strips out any nasty tastes and also any nasties but other than that we aways use the tank water for teeth cleaning, washing up etc and don't worry about it.

You can see the filter at this link
We have been using Nature pure for about 10 years, maybe it is cheaper to buy bottled water, but then you have to remember to get it then find somewhere to store it

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have always drunk from the tank in both the vans we have owned since 2006 and are still here.
We do use a Brita filter jug though as we found that there can be off flavours in some supplies, particularly at shows and rallies.
We did look at fitting a Nature Pure filter in our current van a few years ago but it was impossible to fit it without major surgery to cupboards.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back