drinking water tap in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Seems like a good solution except as posted here a concern about the pressure needed - not that it’s the time but the thought of messing up the Motorhome pump which is critical for everything else. Also our filter cassette at home does get inefficient after about 4 months, you may need to replace the filter every time you go away as it will hold whatever it is it filters!
I don't think the issue will be the pump and its lifespan being shortened, (I carry a spare anyway ;) like most critical OEM bits) but you do have a possible valid point about clogging in time. However it only effects the cold water flow at the sink no where else and so what if it takes 5 seconds longer to fill the washing up bowl, most of which is hot on full flow anyway, that is negligible. I can say that we used it for a month from mid June and no discernable flow reduction. The one we have at home lasted 3 years before the tea started to get tainted. I too have had other solutions in boats and Rv's but all have their drawbacks. I particularly liked the 3M whole house filter we had on the Yankee but filters were £80 a pop, hard to get, huge and only lasted a year at best. Sally did like the chlorine free hair wash though!

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Seems like a good solution except as posted here a concern about the pressure needed - not that it’s the time but the thought of messing up the Motorhome pump which is critical for everything else. Also our filter cassette at home does get inefficient after about 4 months, you may need to replace the filter every time you go away as it will hold whatever it is it filters!
Good point but I'm thinking about fitting a separate tap so I'm not filtering everything.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have used the tank water since we have been motorhoming and Caravanning before what’s the problem if making tea or coffee don’t you boil the water, we also make cold drinks with the tap water.
only wash the tank out with fresh water once a year I find the chlorine a good cleaner

Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
Onto our third motorhome over a 25 year period. Always kept the fresh water tank clean and my whole family have drunk the water from it (hot & cold) with no issues.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although we've never had a problem with the water from the freshwater tank, as I'm quite careful as to where I fill it from, we still carry bottled water for cold drinks - not bothered about hot as it's boiled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have used the tank water since we have been motorhoming and Caravanning before what’s the problem if making tea or coffee don’t you boil the water, we also make cold drinks with the tap water.
only wash the tank out with fresh water once a year I find the chlorine a good cleaner

There are quite a few people selling this kit so we can't be totally on our own in wanting to improve water quality for personal use.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Jon. I hope both you and Sue are well. Congratulations on the new van, although I did admire the old one.

As I know that like us, you travel to some strange and far flung places, where European style, sterilized water cannot be guaranteed, fitting a purifying filter makes loads of sense. In our last 2 vans and this current one we have relied on the 3M filters to keep us safe. In Morrocco, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, some remote parts of Spain and Portugal we have drank from the filter tap and been confident we were going to be ok.

On the current van we have two filters, a Nature Pure in the bathroom ( it came with the van) and a 3m filter on the kitchen cold tap. Both are good but neither are good at filtering desalinated water. The water is safe to drink but it does not make a good cup of tea.
I hope this helps.

Sandra

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We're on the coast so it's handy to get rid of our plastic bottles in the sea 👍😎

View attachment 416022
😁
I suspect the Irony in that post is lost. I walk the dog regularly on Local Beaches. And after the last big winter storm the amount of debris, including uncounted dozens of "one shot" plastic bottles, as well as in recent times, discarded Chinese Virus masks. shows the level of ignorance and complete disregard for the countryside.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jon. I hope both you and Sue are well. Congratulations on the new van, although I did admire the old one.

As I know that like us, you travel to some strange and far flung places, where European style, sterilized water cannot be guaranteed, fitting a purifying filter makes loads of sense. In our last 2 vans and this current one we have relied on the 3M filters to keep us safe. In Morrocco, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, some remote parts of Spain and Portugal we have drank from the filter tap and been confident we were going to be ok.

On the current van we have two filters, a Nature Pure in the bathroom ( it came with the van) and a 3m filter on the kitchen cold tap. Both are good but neither are good at filtering desalinated water. The water is safe to drink but it does not make a good cup of tea.
I hope this helps.

Sandra
Thanks Sandra

Happy travels to you both.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a nature pure but managed to source a couple of the proper filters from the states for 1/2 the price the rip off git in the UK charges

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We have a nature pure but managed to source a couple of the proper filters from the states for 1/2 the price the rip off git in the UK charges

John, have you got a link to where you got yours please?

They are very expensive in the UK even for a rich southerner like me.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
When you go into a cafe for a cuppa are you sure they have filtered their water.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I always try and drain the water before I refill. If the water supply looks a bit iffy, it gets a wipe with an anti-bac cloth first. Quite happy to drink from the tank, after all each tankful of water comes dosed up with chlorine.

For those of you who are worried about the tank water, what do you do about cleaning veggies or your teeth, and how do you wash up? You can get an excellent dose of dehli belly from fruit and veggies washed in not so clean water.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I suspect the Irony in that post is lost. I walk the dog regularly on Local Beaches. And after the last big winter storm the amount of debris, including uncounted dozens of "one shot" plastic bottles, as well as in recent times, discarded Chinese Virus masks. shows the level of ignorance and complete disregard for the countryside.
It’s not a new problem tho. ☹
I had the good fortune to be able to go beach combing on Jan Mayen but wasn’t expecting so much man made plastic waste in 2003.
Even found a bog brush & later a sealed tin of food in the flotsam

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
In the Concorde we have a inline Jasco filter factory fit that l replace annually, l also filter the water as l fill the Tank, therefore,it gets filtered twice as normal and we use water direct from the Tank have done for donkeys years and we are still here.
I’m a Coffee aficionado and Mrs Littlewheels knows more about Tea than Bettys in Harrogate and the Queen who loves her Tea.
Water Filter for Jabsco Filter Amazon product ASIN B00CZAE2AWSimilar to this.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=363059313945

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This is the type l fill through.
63296B90-2807-45E0-B389-27F4F56C4FA6.png

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It’s not a new problem tho. ☹
I had the good fortune to be able to go beach combing on Jan Mayen but wasn’t expecting so much man made plastic waste in 2003.
Even found a bog brush & later a sealed tin of food in the flotsam
As far back as 1976 give or take a year. We crossed the Pacific from Panama to Kobe. I started getting Alarms from about 2am, (I had the graveyard watch), Low pressure on the seawater pumps, standard Practice change to the Upper/Lower Sea suction, depending on which we where steaming and open up and clean the Intake filters. I was pulling out tons of Man-made debris, every and anything that would float was being sucked in. When I spoke to the bridge, the 2nd Mate told me we where steaming through a large area of flotsam It extended as far a he could see from the bridge. Come 4am watch change and first light I went up top for a look myself. It extended to the horizon as far as we could see. This continued for 2 days. Every few hours approx about twice per watch we would change over and clean the suction filters. The garbage was bagged and presented to the Japanese Authorities on arrival. They just shrugged they already knew all about it. That area is now allegedly many hundreds of square miles.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I always try and drain the water before I refill. If the water supply looks a bit iffy, it gets a wipe with an anti-bac cloth first. Quite happy to drink from the tank, after all each tankful of water comes dosed up with chlorine.

For those of you who are worried about the tank water, what do you do about cleaning veggies or your teeth, and how do you wash up? You can get an excellent dose of dehli belly from fruit and veggies washed in not so clean water.

I'm not worried at all - I'm just considering an improvement and looking for suggestions from people who hold the same view of which there are clearly a few on here.

£200-£300 on a water filter for the motorhome and an occasional filter change doesnt seem very much to get years of better tasting tea etc.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect there are 2 issues here. Health and Cleanliness, and Personal Taste. All UK water as supplied by water authorities meets laid down health standards, and supplied to a clean storage containment will remain healthy for several days at the very least. A regular cleaning regime for said containment/pipework/pumps will allow that to continue. And is no different to the manner we dealt with Potable water on Merchant ships. In my case back in the 1950`s to 1980`s. (There are few supermarkets supplying bottled water in Mid Pacific?)

Personal Taste however is exactly that. and is to the individual. I am currently reading a book. and at one point the protagonist is outlining the stages of "training" for sommeliers. One part of which is testing the number of "taste receptor's" on the tongue, a number which varies greatly from person to person, something I did not appreciate, which means that in general whilst some will not differentiate between sources others find them too coarse. I Personally have no issue and over a 50plus year Camping lifetime have only ever bought bottled water out-side of the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back