Drinking water hose type (1 Viewer)

Andy_P

Free Member
Oct 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dehleffs T6500
Exp
Total newbie (but been under canvas for 40years+)
I'm just deciding on alternatives for filling the fresh water tank on our first-timers' new MH.
I've already got a 25 litre water carrier and have bought a whale pump so I can fill the container from a standpipe and transfer from it (albeit slowly) into the main tank if necessary.

Now I need to decide what sort of longer hose to get.

Firstly, I'm assuming that campsites will be OK with me filling the MH direct from the tap if I can park up beside it for a while.
Is that right, or is it 'bad form'??

Next, I cant decide between a length of normal, round, food-grade hose or a lay-flat type.
I've been looking at these two (the round one seems cheaper than buying the bits separately from eBay and putting it together myself...)

Round:
https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/food-grade-hose-non-toxic-hosepipe/

or flat:
https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/10m-32ft-flat-food-grade-fill-up-hose-pipe/

I was thinking 10m would be plenty, could I get away with 7.5m?
Are the flat ones likely to kink badly? Are they less likely to retain water when coiled up than the round type?

But now a friend has shown me his flat hose, which is stiff 3-channel stuff like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunner-METRE-ROLL-GRADE-CARRIER/dp/B0013T5X0E

Quite a bit more expensive... so now I'm even more conflicted!
Any thoughts?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The length depends on how close to the Bourn you can get and which side the filler is, I have a 3m & a 10m that can be coupled together & a 20m roll flat (off the cassette to save space) for emergencies. Various hose connectors to suit all taps.

This is my collection.
Hoses collection.jpg

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you are lucky a site will have a motorhome service point. Great the fill tap will be accessible and you'll get nice and close. Many sites aren't that easy the tap will be on the side of a toilet, a fence post tucked away somewhere round a corner. Give yourself flexibility if you are going to get a hose out and have a decent length.

As for material, ideally it should be drinking water quality. But, if you flush it through of old water before putting in your tank (a good idea with any hose where some residue will have been there for a few days off the last fill), water won't have much time to absorb anything for the few seconds it's running through the hose.

Type of hose comes down to space v convenience. I can get kinks in even a standard non flat rolling type garden hose. Anything with tubes will retain water so a container to store the hose in is a must. For me, I'm finding a collapsible watering can and collapsible bucket is all I need and haven't used the hose once this year. But then 60l tank capacity doesn't take much effort to fill and gives me an excuse to stretch my legs for a couple of trips to the tap.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've already got a 25 litre water carrier and have bought a whale pump
A 25litre container will be very heavy when full and bulky to store when empty, you will probably use it once and never again, unless you also have a trolley to transport it.
When I started, I purchased an aquaroll and a pump. After using it only once in the first year it's now somewhere in the garage. I also have a hose which I think I've used twice. I now mostly use a 10 litre plastic watering can which is not too heavy when full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
He has far too much money ---
All you need are these.

You will notice none of it is 'Food grade'

View attachment 438748

Yep, non food grade, all that's needed is a short flush before filling the tank. ALSO and NOT Least we do not drink from the tank. To us it tastes of plastic so prefer to fill fresh bottles from local DW tap as required. UNLESS in the current situation we fill up at home, ditto drinking water supplies so as little contact with the outside world as virtually at home in lock down.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Our old van tank used to taste of plastic but this new one seems OK.
We still use recycled 5 lr water bottles for drinking though - for some reason :Eeek:

Yeah know what you mean our new is the same BUT not going to drink from it. Water bottles (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
We add aquasol to the water tank on each fill and it gets rid of the 'plastic' taste, been using it for a few years in the UK and abroad and no issues drinking from the tank 👍

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We're in the ordinary hose camp too. One about 10' long use it a lot a cassette wind up one used once or twice a year. No watering can or container just drive to the tap as our tank is 130 litre and we move every couple of nights we have never needed a watering can.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Can’t use a watering can on mine, it has a special fitting with a little hole, so has to be hosepipe job. Post a pic tomorrow. Might see if I can change it so that I can stick any old hose in it.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Auqaroll or hose!!!!! Auqaroll anytime and always.
To much faffing with hose.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Food grade / none food grade. It’s up to you.
I thought “do I want to use some of my spare garden hose or having spent >£20k on my motorhome will I worry about another small expense for some food grade hose that will only be used for filling the water tank?”

I bought some for pack food grade hose.
We use the water in our tank for showers, washing up, and drinking water
But only inside UK so far.

We’ve also got a flat pack 20lt bucket we use with a submersible pump for topping up.

If our MH had more storage I’d try fit in an Aquaroll for drinking water and one of those gray water things for the other end...

edit: <£20 = http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=202739012540

Last edited:
Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I use two cheap plastic 10litre watering cans. Two provides balance when carrying (and fewer trips).
We drink that water, do not detect any taste, and have survived for many years.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Food grade / none food grade. It’s up to you.
I thought “do I want to use some of my spare garden hose or having spent >£20k on my motorhome will I worry about another small expense for some food grade hose that will only be used for filling the water tank?”

I bought some for pack food grade hose.
We use the water in our tank for showers, washing up, and drinking water
But only inside UK so far.

We’ve also got a flat pack 20lt bucket we use with a submersible pump for topping up.

If our MH had more storage I’d try fit in an Aquaroll for drinking water and one of those gray water things for the other end...

edit: <£20 = http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=202739012540
Personally I would always go for food grade hose. Here is what Hozelock say about their superhose.I have highlighted the two important parts. That may have health consequences.

• Do soak the hose in water twice for
• Do soak the hose in water twice for a recommended 5-10 minute period before first use to avoid any transfer of colour onto clothes or other garden objects.
• Do make sure connectors are fully tightened fully onto the hose before each use. (see fig.4)
• Do hold the nozzle whilst emptying the hose of water after use and dispose of waste water responsibly, by using it to water your flowerbeds or pots.
• Do connect Superhoze to a mains tap water supply. Superhoze will not work if connected to a header tank or water butt.
• Do use Superhoze for general, domestic garden use such as watering flowers and plants, outdoor cleaning tasks e.g. car or caravan cleaning.
Don’t:
• Do not cut the hose.
• Do not leave the hose pressurised in direct sunlight.
• Do not stretch the hose without water.
• Do not allow the hose to freeze.
• Do not drink from the hose.
• Do not allow children to play with the hose unsupervised. • Do not use with pressure or jet wash products.
For more “Hints & Tips” on troubleshooting and how to use
a recommended 5-10 minute period before first use to avoid any transfer of colour onto clothes or other garden objects.
• Do make sure connectors are fully tightened fully onto the hose before each use. (see fig.4)
• Do hold the nozzle whilst emptying the hose of water after use and dispose of waste water responsibly, by using it to water your flowerbeds or pots.
• Do connect Superhoze to a mains tap water supply. Superhoze will not work if connected to a header tank or water butt.
• Do use Superhoze for general, domestic garden use such as watering flowers and plants, outdoor cleaning tasks e.g. car or caravan cleaning.
Don’t:
• Do not cut the hose.
• Do not allow children to play with the hose unsupervised. • Do not use with pressure or jet wash products.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use an expandable hose. It never kinks, just store it in a mesh laundry bag. It expands to 50ft once it is connected, and when finished it wriggles around expelling the residual water. I think it was £15 at a show. We carry a range of adapters to fit any tap connection. We also carry a funnel and container if needed, although it never has been.

Upvote 0
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Personally I would always go for food grade hose. Here is what Hozelock say about their superhose.I have highlighted the two important parts. That may have health consequences.

• Do soak the hose in water twice for
• Do soak the hose in water twice for a recommended 5-10 minute period before first use to avoid any transfer of colour onto clothes or other garden objects.
Don’t:
• Do not cut the hose.
a recommended 5-10 minute period before first use to avoid any transfer of colour onto clothes or other garden objects.
Don’t:
• Do not cut the hose.

A well constructed sales pitch

Upvote 0
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
I’m not selling anything and wouldn’t buy that product just buy a food rated hose

I wasn't inferring that the sales pitch was from you, I was commenting on the Hozelock sales pitch.
I have a water filter installed in the cold water feed to the kitchen tap so are not concerned about the water hose I use.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
12ft blue hose, loads of connectors and a 10ltr container. Never been suck anywhere - why carry more....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back