Drilling holes through Van to fit extra Awning lighting (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok bought two Fiamma LED awning lights.
was going to drill and bolt to underside of awning.
Then run wiring inside awning case drill one hole through awning case + van just above outside light and spur lighting off current outside light.
This hole and wiring will enter van in front cupboard with TV wiring.
Have got sealant to fill hole.
Hole will be approx 8~10mm dia.
Has anyone done this ?
Any tips advice
Thanks
Jim

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi Jim not put awning lights but drilled a few holes for solar cables to enter van .Cleaned area (fiberglass) with acetone drilled required hole 10mm dia passed cables though suitable skin gland fitting.cut cables to suitable length on inside of van
Then sealed drilled hole and skin fitting with sicaflex and let it set fixed cables to required terminals and secured . job done. Worked for me and cables out of site and no ingress of water etc.(y)

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Jim not put awning lights but drilled a few holes for solar cables to enter van .Cleaned area (fiberglass) with acetone drilled required hole 10mm dia passed cables though suitable skin gland fitting.cut cables to suitable length on inside of van
Then sealed drilled hole and skin fitting with sicaflex and let it set fixed cables to required terminals and secured . job done. Worked for me and cables out of site and no ingress of water etc.(y)
Thanks
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a long LED light strip under the awning casing. It is wired into the existing LED light over the hab door thereby avoiding the need to drill any holes.
The cover popped off the light and it was a doodle to wire it in and the cover still fitted over the skinny backing for the LED strip.

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a long LED light strip under the awning casing. It is wired into the existing LED light over the hab door thereby avoiding the need to drill any holes.
The cover popped off the light and it was a doodle to wire it in and the cover still fitted over the skinny backing for the LED strip.
Did think about doing something similar but would have bit of cable running from awning to light think it would not look good.
Jim

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Did think about doing something similar but would have bit of cable running from awning to light think it would not look good.
Jim
Yes true. In our case the LED strip runs the full length of the awning so there is no cable visible, just LED strip

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
No real issues fitted two Fiamma lights maybe should have fitted three.
The light end cap design is not great modified one end with dremel hand tool.
Fitted lights to awning drilled two 5mm holes 60mm from each end.

then drill fitting holes in awning body

bought some rubber grommets from halford to protect wiring

drill hole for wring wring running inside waning body to front light then into van.
grommets fitted

fit wiring

fit front bracket and drill for wiring i wanted front light cap to cover hole into van to insure weather seal.

Drill hole into van I wanted this to come into front cupboard that has out side light and 12v supply close to hand.

sealant used

lights fitted and test with 12v battery

going to spur off one of points in picture below have order fiamma switch with dinner will post final pictures when that arrives

This took me about 1.5 hours to do 1st time if doing again 40mins!
Regards
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back