Dreamer Living Van (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Is the lack of gas bottle storage not going to be an issue with multi occupancy? Not going to last that long if using in winter surely?

Mind you, I've no experience with pvc's hence my question?
Our van had 2 bottle capacity as supplied from Globecar.
We converted it to underslung gas tank. Freeing up the gas cupboard for storage.

Upvote 0

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Anybody got any thoughts on the Dreamer Living Van?

2 adults, 2 children (12 & 10), 2 labradors...couple nights wild, couple nights campsite.

I would re-plate to obtain max payload.
You will struggle in a panel van, with four people. My wife and I struggled, just the two of us. One person at a time can stand and walk around. Wide angle lenses make vans look enormous. Only way is for all four of you to go and check it out and take your time weighing up what to do when. Then see if it is viable. Looks good in the brochure though. Could work well for two then the rear would not have to be made into a bed each night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
We are deliberately looking for the smallest van that we can squeeze everything into.

Rear lounge allows for 100% day use (useful on worse weather days...however we tend to be out in all weathers), then 100% night use.

Payload I think will be OK with re-plating...bigger problem is practicality of storage space (volume), perhaps okay with towbar and something on the roof.
Six of you out in all weathers!! I doubt you will have enough room for all the wet clothes and no room to actually get out of them.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Six of you out in all weathers!! I doubt you will have enough room for all the wet clothes and no room to actually get out of them.
When the front bed is down you have zero space. We have a Campscout Revolution and it works for 4 people but as others say theres no room for everyone to walk around at once. It works for us and we still have masses of storage. The overcab locker is massive.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Looks OK but all of you in any PVC just doesn't look practical.
I don't think uprating to 3850kg would be enough you will need it on the Maxi chassis.
totally agree, we are looking at PVC's bed set not for us2, I room will be a problem for 4 and 2 dogs , I did however like the Diesel heating wish we could find that on more vans

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
At a pinch you could do it in the Campscout Revolution.
Two double bunks at the rear for humans and the large area under the beds for the dogs. Plus you can plate up to 4700 kg with correct tyres and suspension.
Go back a bit and you'll find they want a rear lounge so they have crossed the Revolution and similar off the list. I just think it's a bit mad to think that 4 and 2 dogs can make it beyond a week's holiday at a stretch.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I would agree, but their insistence on a rear lounge puts any PVC out of the question and anyway would you really want to be party to trying to persuade them to put 4 people and two good size dogs in ANY PVC for an extended period? They need a total rethink and a decision to go for a much bigger coachbuilt.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I like the Dreamer Living van with a rear U shaped lounge but the spec. I think specify a transverse rear lounge bed has anybody got this model if so could you use the vehicle as 2 single beds instead of infilling and making a transverse bed ?

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2018
Funster No
Hi, I have had a Living Van since September and used several times. There are only two of us and we normally make the bed up in the rear lounge. I suspect this is due to long dark nights and the TV location ! I imagine in summer we will utilise the drop down more. We did try using the lounge as 2 singles, my wife was fine but even after a bottle of wine I struggled to get comfortable with feet overhanging the side ! It really does only take minutes to setup so not a problem

Upvote 0

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
OK my first post so go easy on me guys! Hi 🤓
We’ve had ours for about 18 months now coming from an old Bilbo converted T4 van the Dreamer feels great space and quality wise. Just the two of us plus small Border terrier so space and storage is plentiful. The end lounge is a real plus, I looked at a couple of WildAx vans and some pop tops but for us this seemed best solution with bonus of Kingsize double bed when end lounge converted but not really practical to use as twin beds unless you’re child size. Drop down bed has comfy memory foam mattress and works well space is generous with lighting and usb points.
The wardrobe/shower configuration is design genius, tend to use site showers though or rear external shower if been surfing/Scuba. Diesel fuelled heating works well and cuts down on need for gas. Lighting and fittings have high quality feel to them. Separate toilet basin room good. Bit like a Swiss Army knife this van gives so much from a relatively compact unit.
The 160 bhp engine mated to 6 speed manual is a peach pulls strongly and good torque gives up to mid thirties mpg. As a van conversion it’s a good size for smaller roads and car parks etc easy to place and handles solidly and predictably.
Not many downsides really but if I was nitpicking I would like a slightly deeper under floor storage space perhaps but to be fair it ticks all the most important boxes. Four wheel drive? Possibly or just some different tyres would be enough for what you need to do.
I guess for a family of four it’s a bit tight but can work especially if you are coming from smaller vans. Equally if you are downsizing from a A class etc it’s a van that offers space and quality with few compromises.
Yes it is a bit strong on price but is Rapido qualify and we picked ours up as a used 6 month old one just before the world and his Mrs decided they wanted motorhomes so ours was priced in the fiftees with only 3000 miles on it with loads of extras on it so happy with that. Anyway they seem well put together with decent residuals. Will keep this one for quite some time hopefully.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
We’ve had ours for about 18 months now coming from an old Bilbo converted T4 van the Dreamer feels great space and quality wise. Just the two of us plus small Border terrier so space and storage is plentiful. The end lounge is a real plus, I looked at a couple of WildAx vans and some pop tops but for us this seemed best solution with bonus of Kingsize double bed when end lounge converted but not really practical to use as twin beds unless you’re child size. Drop down bed has comfy memory foam mattress and works well space is generous with lighting and usb points.
The wardrobe/shower configuration is design genius, tend to use site showers though or rear external shower if been surfing/Scuba. Diesel fuelled heating works well and cuts down on need for gas. Lighting and fittings have high quality feel to them. Separate toilet basin room good. Bit like a Swiss Army knife this van gives so much from a relatively compact unit.
The 160 bhp engine mated to 6 speed manual is a peach pulls strongly and good torque gives up to mid thirties mpg. As a van conversion it’s a good size for smaller roads and car parks etc easy to place and handles solidly and predictably.
Not many downsides really but if I was nitpicking I would like a slightly deeper under floor storage space perhaps but to be fair it ticks all the most important boxes. Four wheel drive? Possibly or just some different tyres would be enough for what you need to do.
I guess for a family of four it’s a bit tight but can work especially if you are coming from smaller vans. Equally if you are downsizing from a A class etc it’s a van that offers space and quality with few compromises.
Yes it is a bit strong on price but is Rapido qualify and we picked ours up as a used 6 month old one just before the world and his Mrs decided they wanted motorhomes so ours was priced in the fiftees with only 3000 miles on it with loads of extras on it so happy with that. Anyway they seem well put together with decent residuals. Will keep this one for quite some time hopefully.
Many thanks for posting very useful information. Still waiting for ours having ordered last August! The 2022 version has semi air suspension not sure if yours does. If so how do you find it?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dreamer
Thanks for the review, really useful. Great to hear you're pleased with your decision, I'm hoping the wait for our delivery will come to a conclusion soon. What extras do you have and what would you not live without?

Upvote 0

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, no ours doesn’t have air suspension. I’d like to try one that has though to experience the difference and would possibly spec it if price was reasonable. Wonder if it could be retrospectively fitted?
Extras on ours were a tow bar which and Thule side canopy and came with a tv/dvd which sort of works depending on location!
It has twin leisure batteries too which the chap at Highbridge thought was an extra.
The tow bar is handy for the bikes on a Thule carrier or if we ever decide to tow a small car so I guess that’s a useful accessory.
Hope yours arrives soon and you enjoy it as much as we are ours! 👍
0D05062E-CD6E-49E1-93AD-8F752E66E90E.jpeg

Attachments

• AF383D80-329C-42E6-BFD6-E02A0E2AAF5A.jpeg
    AF383D80-329C-42E6-BFD6-E02A0E2AAF5A.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
Got me thinking about air suspension so a quick Google revealed that there’s a range of aftermarket kits available from a few hundred quid. Looks very simple as a pair of inflatable units slot in place of the bump stops between the chassis member and leaf spring, they also act as a bump stop. Quite a simple job really for any reasonably competent DIYer or mechanic. Possibly get it all fitted for less than £500 including kit. Think I might do this mod.

Attachments

• C7FB3FC5-D162-412E-8442-B5EFDC26DD5F.jpeg
    C7FB3FC5-D162-412E-8442-B5EFDC26DD5F.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Apparently now comes as standard but won't be able to confirm until it arrives. There is a running thread on semi air suspension and reviews are very positive.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Got me thinking about air suspension so a quick Google revealed that there’s a range of aftermarket kits available from a few hundred quid. Looks very simple as a pair of inflatable units slot in place of the bump stops between the chassis member and leaf spring, they also act as a bump stop. Quite a simple job really for any reasonably competent DIYer or mechanic. Possibly get it all fitted for less than £500 including kit. Think I might do this mod.
Yes but is a fairly simple job for a DIY mechanic. I just couldn't be botherd with crawling around under the van so got mine done at https://www.uk-towbars.net/. Around £600 for the basic kit fitted.

Upvote 0

Snilleblixt1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet

To6y, I would love to see some reviews from you if you’ve now received your living van, as my family have exactly the same set up; 2 adults + 2 kids (11&14) + 2 Labradors!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

To6y, I would love to see some reviews from you if you’ve now received your living van, as my family have exactly the same set up; 2 adults + 2 kids (11&14) + 2 Labradors!
Well that's going to be snug but probably workable but you are going to need the heavy chassis to get the payload you will need. As soon as mine arrives I will be happy to review it but we are merely 2 and no pets and opted for the heavy chassis. However unless you have an order in I hear that Dreamer are discontinuing the Living van after the 2022 orders are fulfilled which amazes me quite honestly. So pre owned will be your remaining option. Rapido do have other PVC options however.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Well that's going to be snug but probably workable but you are going to need the heavy chassis to get the payload you will need. As soon as mine arrives I will be happy to review it but we are merely 2 and no pets and opted for the heavy chassis. However unless you have an order in I hear that Dreamer are discontinuing the Living van after the 2022 orders are fulfilled which amazes me quite honestly. So pre owned will be your remaining option. Rapido do have other PVC options however.
How much extra payload do you get with a heavy chassis as the base vehicle weighs more. Also we had a heavy chassis on a Fiat ( not a van conversion) and we thought the ride was hard

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The wardrobe hingeing into the shower is ingenious but may not be practical if you actually use the shower as we do. It looks like the shower cannot be used if the rear bed is made up, which wouldn't suit us as I have my morning shower while swmbo is still in bed. Also at night the loo appears to have no partition from the rear bed, though this may not be the case. The layout looks fine for two but more than a bit cramped for four.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
The wardrobe hingeing into the shower is ingenious but may not be practical if you actually use the shower as we do. It looks like the shower cannot be used if the rear bed is made up, which wouldn't suit us as I have my morning shower while swmbo is still in bed. Also at night the loo appears to have no partition from the rear bed, though this may not be the case. The layout looks fine for two but more than a bit cramped for four.

The shower can be used with the rear bed made up and also with the front drop down bed in use that is if we are talking about the Dreamer Living Van. The across van toilet shower area is screened from both front drop down double and rear made up double there are folding doors either side of the cross van shower toilet cubicle which is the genius of the layout in a PVC!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back