Dream of Motorhome Ownership Ruined By DVLA!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
After 5 months, still no V5 for my motorhome!

Here is a copy of the email I just sent in to the CEO DVLA

My wife of 46 years passed away in July 2017, buying this motorhome was one of her last wishes for me to fulfill our dream of travel during our Golden Years.

The stress caused by DVLA “losing” 3 applications for transfer of the vehicle to my name has destroyed the dream of motorhome ownership. The delays have also stopped me from planning a road trip to Europe in early Jan 2018. Now, week by week the ferry costs increase and make the trip less viable.

Thank you for stopping me from fulfilling my late wife’s wishes. I am heartbroken already and the DVLA have made it worse for me.

Purchased vehicle xxxx xxx in Aug 2017, dealer said he sent in V5.

I called DVLA on Oct 25th 2017 as no V5 in my name had arrived at my address. Told by DVLA " dealer paperwork must have been lost in the post"

On Oct 25th 2017, I filled in the form V62 and sent it in with new keeper section.

Called on Dec 5th as still NOTHING from DVLA! Told AGAIN "must be lost in the post"

On 5th Dec 2107, sent in a copy of the V62 and copy of new keepers section and a letter. Sent this via Royal Mail as "Signature required" ..... I have proof that is was signed for at DVLA at 8.05am on the 7th Dec 2017.

Called today (Jan 8th 2018) only to be told "nothing in the system, must be lost in the building, will send info to admin".

Your total incompetence has completely ruined my plans to go abroad in my motorhome as I have no V5.

Please action this asap, if someone does not contact me on 0xxxx xxxxxx within 3 working days I will contact my MP and tell the story of this dreadful service to any TV/Newspaper that will listen.

Now, after spending a fortune on improvements and new upgrades I just feel like selling it and moving on in a different direction.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Tibbo I understand your frustration but I promise you once you do have it back and you are able to get away in the van, within 24 hours that DVLA hassle will be a distant memory. Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m really sorry both to read of the loss of your wife and of the fiasco at DVLA. Please don’t give up your plans because I think you will regret not giving it a go and will in the future be thinking “what if”
As you must know from reading these forums, travelling around in a MH is a great way to meet people to just pass the time of day with or to share a beer with as well as a way of having a bit of travel.
You don’t say whether you have been using your MH in UK in the meantime. I am sure that’s ok while the V5 is being processed. Get out, find a rally and start fulfilling your wife’s wishes.
Good Luck:)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Keep at them - if necessary go down to Swansea and throw a tantrum - I would.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I echo the sentiments that Jim & other funsters sent to you. There's nothing quite like getting set up then chilling out on wherever you've made your camp.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Disgraceful service! There doesn't seem to be consistency. Some request are actioned within a few days, other take months. Hope you get a speedy reponse to your letter. Don't give up - as @Jim says, it will soon be a memory when you're on the road. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Sorry to hear of your troubles with DVLA if you can't get a V5 in your name you can travel in Europe with receipt from the dealer with your name on .thats how Brit registered vehicles are delivered by a driver who is not the registered keeper.

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear of your appalling 'service' from the DVLA @Tibbo, I'm sure there must be some conscientious people there somewhere. Hopefully your application will be resolved soon.
For future reference, when you make any contact with them, I find it helpful to get the name of every person you speak to at the DVLA, and make a record of what they actually tell you and what action they are taking etc.
Then, when you elevate your concerns to the CEO or whoever, you can evidence who said what and when.
Feedback, positive or negative, only has value when its evidenced, as opposed to just a general rant which might make you feel better for a short while, but won't improve anything.
Hang in there, it will pass.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hope you get sorted asp and get out on the road. (y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Life can be a real bitch sometimes, and it always seems worse when you are down after a huge trauma. Don't give up. You have to fulfill your late wife's wishes. Head down, deep breath,push through. Don't let a bunch of useless idiots dissuade you from doing a lovely thing. We are with you all the way. Grrrrrf!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In the old days a letter to your MP would sort things out and still may be worth a try especially as some of them expect the next election to be sooner rather than later

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Sorry to hear about your problem with DVLA. Slightly off tangent but when my late husband had a problem with not receiving his renewal HGV licence, we wrote to our MP at the time was David Laws, He was very helpful and put us in contact with the Minister for transport. He is the person you need to get in touch with.Please don't give up your dream, I carried ours on and have been solo motorhoming now for 4 yrs and made many friends on my travels

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
When we got our motorhome in April last year I had to get the taxation class changed to "DISABLED" so off went the V5 and in return I got the V5 for a Triumph motorcycle with completely different reg TWICE

A swift polite telephone call later problem resolved V5 arrived a few days later - the gentleman on the other end was very patient and polite and really couldn't believe the reason why it was done except by someone inputting data incorrectly

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When we got our motorhome in April last year I had to get the taxation class changed to "DISABLED" so off went the V5 and in return I got the V5 for a Triumph motorcycle with completely different reg TWICE

A swift polite telephone call later problem resolved V5 arrived a few days later - the gentleman on the other end was very patient and polite and really couldn't believe the reason why it was done except by someone inputting data incorrectly

I know we get frustrated sometimes but just imagine being surrounded by 'Numpties' and having a Job that entailed you having to be polite and 'nice' to someone at the other end of the 'phone who just wants to kick the sh*t out of someone at your place.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
How upsetting for you.

Our sympathies on the loss of your wife.

Like other posters we feel that when you get it resolved, and you will get it sorted, you will enjoy the freedom of your motorhome. The DVLA are a strange organisation. They supplied my new “over 70” licence within 72 hours but, ten years ago, when I changed to a photo licence! They missed my motorcycle entitlement off the new one. They said I had to take a new test until I provided photocopies of my old licence and my covering letter with the application asking them “not lose my motorcycle entitlement on the renewal”.

No apology just a new, correct, licence within a week.

Good luck

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tibbo

Sympathies but as been said - persevere.

DVLA are no fit for purpose, as has been demonstrated by numerous posts on several forums and on nearly every thread without exception.

Lindyloot's suggestion of writing to the Minister of Transport has merit as the DVLA is an Agency of that Ministry (Dft) which has responsibility to Parliament for its operation.

DVLA does not have its own legal department and relies on the Dft Legal Department, who in my experience do not want to get involved, maybe because they know of the incompetence of some DVLA staff and/or systems, but will do so if instructed from above.

Remember DVLA's primary function is tax collecting on the basis of issuing paperwork and keeping track of registered vehicles. Of course the issuing of papers is necessary for their international travel but that in itself is not revenue generating, but taxation is.

DVLA are not concerned with vehicle safety - that is the remit of DVSA(ex-VOSA), consequently DVLA staff are not needed to know about vehicles, unlike at DVSA, they just push the paper and probably cannot conceive of the harm their inefficiency can do to peoples lives

Don't let the b*stards get you down - or win.

It is your MH and the DVLA are paid via your road tax and other taxes. Maybe you should ask them who is responsible for renewing the VED or Sorning it for this vehicle? - your sadly deceased wife?

This long rant is to make you feel better and to encourage perseverence.

Good Luck.

Geoff

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@Tibbo

These are the people you need to take up your complaint:

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/

At one time you had to go via your MP but I don't know if that is still the case. You do need to have exhausted the complaints procedure so if you have not already done so now is the time to raise an official complaint.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The only sure way is to nuke them from outer space.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear you lost your beloved wife last year Tibbo.

And more recently, the shocking woes encountered with DVLA.

From my experience, it is like a number of public bodies - on some occasions you receive excellent service and on others it's appalling. No rhyme or reason...

Hope you get your registration docs sorted soon, so you can get on with your life and travel.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Contact person that had it prior to dealer they could do it online provided they are happy to do it

OP
OP
Tibbo
Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
UPDATE!!!
Just got a phone call from DVLA asking me to send scans of the V62 and New Keepers V5C/2 from the copies I kept.
Did that and had follow phone call from them stating " the V5 will be issued today"

Phewww I guess the email to the CEO worked :D

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :thanks4:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yee ha! Well done. Persistence pays.

:Grin:

I’m delighted for you. Looks as if 2018 will be better after your tribulations last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back