Dreaded black streaks on white sealant (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone any tips on removing black streaks off the White sealant ,
Where the van cab meets the habitation roof over the front window I have tried all kinds of cleaner the last being SILKY but no joy at all , any tips / advice would be appreciated as it is getting on my nerves.
Thank you in anticipation.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Black Mould Remover 750ml
Broken Link RemovedSeriously does what it says! Spray on and leave for a mo...wipe or wash off.

Carolyn and Kev

OP
OP
Tyrefixer
Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you
Carolyn and Kev will give it a try,
Tyrefixer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Ear bud dipped in neat domestos bleach. Just run it along the silicone lines and leave. Just like treating a little bit of black mound on bathroom sealant. Works a treat on our MH. Couple of days it’s all white again.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Buy a tube of cheap toothpaste and a stiff toothbrush.
Works a treat.
Chemicals will attack the sealant and cause big problems in the future.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Over the years i have tried all of the above methods with varying degrees of success but, the best thing i have found is the magic eraser pads. These work really well on the sealent and also are great on any of the white plastic seals and locker door handles

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Over the years i have tried all of the above methods with varying degrees of success but, the best thing i have found is the magic eraser pads. These work really well on the sealent and also are great on any of the white plastic seals and locker door handles
With our without cleaners?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
With our without cleaners?

Magic pads are fantastic for certain marks but they will damage some paintwork. They contain chemicals already. Just use them damp. Test on inconspicuous area first.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Magic pads are fantastic for certain marks but they will damage some paintwork. They contained chemicals already. Just use them damp. Test on inconspicuous area first.
Only planning to use it on blackened silicone

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Only planning to use it on blackened silicone

Not suitable for that. I would use HG Mould Away. I use it for shower enclosure silicone and mildew on walls. etc. If that doesn't work, IMHO, nothing else will do you'll have to replace the silicone.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not suitable for that. I would use HG Mould Away. I use it for shower enclosure silicone and mildew on walls. etc. If that doesn't work, IMHO, nothing else will do you'll have to replace the silicone.
It’s exterior silicone blackened by brake pad dust

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It’s exterior silicone blackened by brake pad dust

HG Mould Away is a bleaching agent. It may work on brake pad stains. Magic sponges work on surface marks. No harm in getting the sponges - I use them to removing marks on masonry paintwork (mainly interior) - it reduces the need to retouch paintwork.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Magic pads are fantastic for certain marks but they will damage some paintwork. They contain chemicals already. Just use them damp. Test on inconspicuous area first.
Need to be careful with them they are far more abrasive than they look. Try cleaning a stainless steel saucepan with then then look at all the scratch marks afterwards.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
As I said, I only use them on the sealant and plastic trim and they work great, would never dream of using them on paintwork as they are a mild abrasive.

OP
OP
Tyrefixer
Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry for belated reply. Thank you all for your comments

The black marks seem to be under the surface and I am being told it is not silicone as we know it , I asked my M.H supplier what they use , and they suggested Silky but no joy I'm afraid. I must admit I have not tried
Domestos so will give it a go.
Thanks again

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Sorry for belated reply. Thank you all for your comments

The black marks seem to be under the surface and I am being told it is not silicone as we know it , I asked my M.H supplier what they use , and they suggested Silky but no joy I'm afraid. I must admit I have not tried
Domestos so will give it a go.
Thanks again
That's no good. Starbright black streak remover from a chandlery not cheap perhaps live with the streaks

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Aldi caravan cleaner.neat or black streak remover. Wet first then stiff tooth brush. We have an irritating area on our Exsis t where the cab joins the body, just behind the doors. Picks up all the diesel/oil/brake dust. Definitely think Hymer could have designed the join betternto be tear facing. Once cleaned, I gave the sealant a good application of Autoglym silicone polish. It won't stop it getting grotted up again but it does clean off more easily.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I always use "Ever Build PVCu Solvent Cleaner" I get it from Tool Station, it is the stuff that window and conservatory fitters use and so far I haven't found a mark or stain it cant remove.

My main advice though is use it very sparingly as I have found a very small amount goes a very long way and as always test it on a small area first as it is solvent based and whilst I have not had any issues with it that is no guarantee you will not.

The other good thing about it is that it is well cheap.

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
believe it or not while cleaning the side of our motorhome from some BBQ splashes I found that Antibacterial wipes (I use them to clean all my BBQ stuff) are very good at cleaning the white sealant to as new. Try it and see.

OP
OP
Tyrefixer
Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry for delay in thanking you all , but have not been to fit, all ok now so
Thank you again

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
believe it or not while cleaning the side of our motorhome from some BBQ splashes I found that Antibacterial wipes (I use them to clean all my BBQ stuff) are very good at cleaning the white sealant to as new. Try it and see.
worryingly baby wipes work on most things not just tender bums

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back