Drawbacks/advantages of an American RV over a European motorhome (4 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can get in some underground car parks
They'd be happy with you if the lpg leaked. Don't know about the UK or France but here in Spain it is totally illegal to enter any type of underground car park with any type of lpg carrying vehicle including cars adapted to run on it or even just carrying a cylinder, empty or full, in boot for changing at a garage.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
One thing that is handy on a USRV is the tow ball receiver. A standard 2" receiver that accepts a vast array of tow brackets. All interchangeable.

Craig
Would it take a motorcycle bracket? I'm assuming there would be quite a lot of axle weight to go at.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We had RVs for ten years.
Fantastic comfort and space.
The downside was breaking down once in Belgium and once in France and finding someplace to sort it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Would it take a motorcycle bracket?

Some Dutch friends of our seem to carry their Harley on the rear, that's 270kgs. They do have a large A class. and I doubt it's actually on the towbar, more an extension out of the rear of the RV, with no wheels, so the weight is being taken by the RV.

The downside was breaking down once in Belgium and once in France and finding someplace to sort it out.

We travelled 1000s of miles and in eleven years never missed a beat, so as in all of these things it's luck of the draw. UK/Euro are just as reliable. though if needed parts are probably easier to find :)

Mick

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
They'd be happy with you if the lpg leaked. Don't know about the UK or France but here in Spain it is totally illegal to enter any type of underground car park with any type of lpg carrying vehicle including cars adapted to run on it or even just carrying a cylinder, empty or full, in boot for changing at a garage.

That makes total sense, but I have never seen a sign anywhere that says that, mind you I can count on one finger the times I have been in one. Not that I would probably ever park in one again, as there are none where I live now.

As for cars running on LPG my mate has had one for years and always parks in them. I must pass on your information to him so he can check.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That makes total sense, but I have never seen a sign anywhere that says that, mind you I can count on one finger the times I have been in one. Not that I would probably ever park in one again, as there are none where I live now.

As for cars running on LPG my mate has had one for years and always parks in them. I must pass on your information to him so he can check.
The biggest problem I can see for a petrol/LPG MH is you can't go on the tunnel.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Would it take a motorcycle bracket? I'm assuming there would be quite a lot of axle weight to go at.

The maximum permissible vertical weight at the tow hitch on ours is 500lbs.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
What about the smaller type rv has anybody owned one of those what where your thoughts on these

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Using the ferries only is hardly a problem is it? So it takes a couple of extra hours as we usually go Dover Dunkirk, in any holiday getting over the qe2 bridge is a bigger problem for us.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
What about the smaller type rv has anybody owned one of those what where your thoughts on these
We had a Coachman Mirada 35' and when we decided to down size we still went for an RV, we bought the Winnebago Minnie Winnie. It was the perfect solution for us, still got the luxurys of xtra space large shower even has 2 leather sofas. Obviously there was a compromise, and that was that we lost our dining space. Turned out to not be a problem at all. In fact the 2 leather sofas more than made up for it. Plus we upgraded the TV added a sound bar put in a brand new satelite system. Not a dome as they dont always do the distance and not the 85cm dishes as they are no good in bad weather. We went for the cytrak system by Oyster shaped differently and frame work is very very hardy so will withstand gusting winds etc. Still got the large bedroom and plenty of wardrobe space. Full fridge with a seperate large freezer (inc ice maker) all in just 29' +another 3' for bike rack, under 7 tonne with LPG conv on it. In fact I cannot think of one reason as to why we are selling her, oh yes i remember The Husband said so...

OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Thanks All. Having looked at all your replies, and also done some more research, we’ve decided to go for the European A class option. There are two main reasons for this. The first is that we want to keep under 8 m which excludes most (although I know not all) of the American RVs. Secondly, we need to transport a couple of expensive bikes and it seems that very few of the American RVs come with a garage.

Thanks for your comments and contributions though. They have been very useful.

Chris

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
One thing that is handy on a USRV is the tow ball receiver. A standard 2" receiver that accepts a vast array of tow brackets. All interchangeable.

Craig
I have different attachments for ours which I leave on, so slide in a "A" frame, a bike rack or a carrier depending on what I want

It is impossible to determine if a European is better than a Yank or vica versa, we have tried for years, but have had more RV's than European vans. Lyn and I bought our first motorhome when we were 28 and have always had one:

New Autohomes "Highwayman"
12 month old "Swift Kontiki"
New Gulf Stream "Conquest"
12 month old Rexall "Airex"
New 32' Georgie Boy "Royale"
New 34' Georgie Boy "Royale"
New 36' Georgie Boy "Royale"
New Benimar "Europe Top" LHD
New Benimar "Europe Top" RHD
New Dethleffs Globetrotter XXL
New Condor "Spirit"
New Winnebago "Minnie Winnie"
New Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
New Thor "Windsport" (current but 12 months old so who knows lol)

So I have been lucky enough to buy 14 motorhomes since I was 28 (now 58) The reason that I put new or not, was so you realised that I got the option to "order" what I wanted and still didn't necessarily like what I got :doh: So nine RV's and five Europeans motorhomes

If pressed, I would say that the size is easier on the majority of European vans, especially if you can't drive or ar a nervous driver, and that European vans can used to be a lot more tastefully finished and subtle, although that has changed a lot and the Yanks are getting less ostentatious

Value for money and space it is hard to beat an American van. I hear a lot about build quality, and I agree with some of the smaller lighter RV's the build quality can be dire, but, If I look at the first three vans on my list, vans that I owned and used, and had to pick one of the three to live in for Six months, a 1988 Autohomes Highwayman on a Talbot Express, A 1989 Swift Kontiki on a Fiat or a 1990 Gulf Stream on a V8 Ford Diesel, knowing what spec they came with from the factory, I would choose the Gulf Stream in a flash despite knowing that build quality wasn't great, but I would guarantee that it will all work still!

Mind you I always say, at the end of the day they all do the same thing, and if you don't believe me try describing what we do to a Martian!

Looking at the number of motorhomes I've bought I am bloody glad that I don't do motorhome shows anymore :laughing:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've been around the block too. Plenty of experience of different makes and marks.

Auto-trail Pullman
Swift Royale
Bessacar E495
Winnebago Brave
Auto-Trail Scout
Auto-Trail Arapaho
Georgie Boy Landau
Hymer B544
Four Winds Dutchmen

Given that experience I'll say this

My current American van will be 10 next year, Let's say I was approached by one of the big prestigious makes. Morrello, Neisman, Carthago etc and they were desperate to loan me for ten years any van up to a value 155k for the publicity I could give it. (Cheap advertising if they are reading this :D) .

But on the strict condition that all my motorhoming had to be done in that motorhome for the next ten years. That I could not camp in any other van. :Eeek:

Thinking about it, I would be able to sell my RV and release a chunk of cash, that would be welcome, but I'd turn them down. None of those companies make a van that suits my present requirement, that is two fixed beds with a floorspace large enough to lose a German Shepherd.

So right now, the only German thing that I want is the dog. It's not an American v German thing, its just layout. I've always bought vans with the layout I want, never really caring who the maker is. Our present layout means our van is wider than most, but thats a small price to pay for the layout. When we can make do with a smaller layout we'll switch back to German in an instant.

p7291996-jpg.70715

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back