Draught skirt (2 Viewers)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
So we have our new awning but have yet to try it on site. We don't have a rail for the draught skirt to go on. How do you all get around this ? Plus the problem of the electric step being in the way. Do you get a lot of draught if you don't cover the step area ?

Lin

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe it depends what the awning will be used for (daytime space vs overnight sleeping etc) as to whether draughts will really be an issue? We have not used a draught skirt as yet, so can't speak from experience. However, I have heard that some have a caravan type rail fitted, or use poppers/Velcro or similar to attach instead. Maybe they somehow route the skirt behing the step?

I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will provide feedback soon... ;)

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I fitted a rail where the sill panels meet the van body. I bought a 4 metre length then cut it to fit both sides of the door. Made a cut out in the skirt where the step is and tuck it behind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Lin,
I fitted a caravan awning rail on our MoHo as we found it almost mandatory to fit a skirt with an awning or windbreaks as the dogs could not escape. The added bonus is that no wind blows under the van to 'inflate' the awning - nice and cosy then too.
We cleaned the side of the van with Sikaflex activator and applied a stripe of Sikaflex on the back of the rail. I temporarily screwed the rail to the van with tiny screws. After a day or two I removed the screws and voila - done.
I toyed with the idea of cutting and faffing to accommodate the electric step but we found that once the skirt is under the awning carpet, which seals off the area from drafts, we found it better to just have a small step external to the van - much better too.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
It all depends on what fastenings is on your draught skirt. Some come with poppers/studs or Velcro or Piping which needs aluminium rails fitting to side of van (similar to side of a caravan to attach an awning.

On my van the draught skirt has piping and I have aluminium rails pop riveted to the side skirts and a cut out for the step. I then have 2 additional pieces which are then suction cupped above the wheels as the draught skirt only covers half of the wheel.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Lin,
.....I temporarily screwed the rail to the van with tiny screws. After a day or two I removed the screws and voila - done.

I'm curious as we have a draught skirt with our new awning which we could fit - if you have already put screws into the van body to support the rail whilst the adhesive goes off, why then remove them? Did you have to fill/seal the holes?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I'm curious as we have a draught skirt with our new awning which we could fit - if you have already put screws into the van body to support the rail whilst the adhesive goes off, why then remove them? Did you have to fill/seal the holes?

Hi, the screws were put into the lower body skirt, not the actual body structure - it's a fibre glass 'trim' for the want of a better word. The reason for removing the screws was that, although the rail has countersunk holes in it, the screw heads would scratch the skirt tubing, sometimes jamming the skirt on sliding it through the rail.

Although the holes were tiny and they really didn't need filling, I did 'dot' Sikaflex to the screw holes from the rear/underneath the van - the van fibre glass 'trim/skirt' is single skinned. (y)

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Try Lilly pad leisure they do one no holes to drill or rail

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
MTE5NDg0MDYzNzIzNjUyNjIz.jpg

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks for all the advice. Particularly like your idea Brian. Don't really have the option of a separate step as our automatically comes out on unlocking the door.

Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back