Draining white water for winter. (1 Viewer)

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
I've got a 2007 Swift Sundance 630G which I've not had long
(Newbie all roun)
I read that I should empty all the fluids over winter but no idea
And can't find instructions on how to empty the white water and the water heater.

Any ideas other than turning the taps on.

Ta

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Welcome Patcherelli, I'm no expert on your MoHo but some people do just run their taps. Most however find the bung in the bottom of the fresahwater tank and drain it that way.

As regards the heating you'll probably have a little yellow button which just needs lifting or lowering and watch it pour out.

If I'm wrong someone will soon be along to point it out......Griff

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most tanks can be gravity drained with a purpose provided low tap. But if you can't find one or don't have one, run the hot and cold till empty, check all taps don't flow and make sure your waste is emptied (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This Handbook may help. I know it's Bessacarr but they are part of the Swift group so probably similar arrangements. The fresh water tank will either have a plug accessed by unscrewing the top cap or a drain valve accessed from outside. The grey water tank will probably have the latter. The hot water tank will have a drain valve as mentioned under Equipment Details.

My own general notes Here.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
After draining, open top of Water tank and wipe the remaining water out, Blow thro your taps, unscrew shower head and blow thro
Leave all taps open, and if you can, cover your water pump and boiler, thick towels or pieces of an old Duvet maybe .
The water release mech. should be on a pipe exiting from your tank, In between that and your boiler there should be a thingee with either a red or yellow bit on the top you need to lift these to the upright possie

Regards Rangitira

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Patcherelli,
There will be loads of advice following my post, but as a general rule, you need to open all the basin and sink taps (including the shower tap) and open any drain valves that you see. That way, you avoid most air locks.

If your heater is filled at the same time as the main water tank, look for the main 'dump' valve. These are frequently pained yellow, concealed somewhere and are 'odd' in as much the lever needs to be pointing vertical. If you don't know where this drain cock is, look under the van for a tell-tale piece of tube which extends down from the floor somewhere.

As you've got a fairly modern van, the fresh (white) water drain will be on the exterior ??? close to the grey water drain.

I use a "Floe" unit (that's the company name) which purges the whole system and gets rid of any water loitering in the pipes. This unit is connected in-line and uses air from a foot pump or a small tyre inflator to pressurise the system.
Works for me.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Heating I would venture you can leave as is, if it gets really cold the frost release valve will automatically dump the water.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No-one has said it but Blow Job is essential.

If you don't down the shower valve in particular some water will be trapped inside and will freeze and crack the valve. I know this to be true.

Gravity alone is not good enough.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Is your heater under the floor of your wardrobe like mine, where inside the wardrobe, there is an access lid ?

If so there is a yellow lever in there which you either have to put in the vertical position , or, it maybe should be horizontal. Whichever, change it, then quickly nip outside and see if your van is having a pee :whistle: then you have succcess. (y) Follow that with giving your shower tube a blow job ( remove head then blow) that should empty that pipe , repeat with sinks, obviously open the taps hot, then the cold. Works for me :)

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Found the yellow lever on the water heater but still perplexed by the water.
Think i'll go for the taps on and blow job option.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
No-one has said it but Blow Job is essential.

If you don't down the shower valve in particular some water will be trapped inside and will freeze and crack the valve. I know this to be true.

Gravity alone is not good enough.
Now what's gravity got to do with a blow job? Answers on a postcard please!!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Found the yellow lever on the water heater but still perplexed by the water.
Think i'll go for the taps on and blow job option.

You didn't get a dribble underneath the van, not far from the levers general position then ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back