Draining Water tank (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That blue tap is like the one which was on the end of a convoluted pipe clipped to the underside on our Autoquest 100 (water tank was under the dinette seat rather than in the wardrobe).
We had one of them but it was the grey water emptier, but changed it for a fixed one

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our Autoquest had both - grey tap on the grey waste outlet pipe and blue tap on the fresh water drain.
If that's the case maybe ours has been modified, but we have two blue pipes underneath(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If that's the case maybe ours has been modified, but we have two blue pipes underneath(n)
It may be the difference between the dinette layout (fresh tank under dinette seat) and lounge layout (fresh tank in the wardrobe) - or maybe different colours used in different years. In our case it didn't really matter because the grey outlet was at the rear near side and the fresh drain was in the middle of the off side.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I'm a newbie, did have a Caravan about 8 years ago.
Great picture chaser, but my tank is sat flush on a flat surface and I can't get underneath it.
I would be really pleased if I could find a tap like that.
Haven't had time to fiddle today, will see if I can have another go tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the input.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Great picture chaser, but my tank is sat flush on a flat surface and I can't get underneath it.
I would be really pleased if I could find a tap like that.
Haven't had time to fiddle today, will see if I can have another go tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the input.
No, this is looking down at it, can't get underneath ,this pipe is coming out of the side.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I can see around three sides of my tank and there is no tap, the fourth side is flush to the side of the van.
As I have said, I have not had a lot of time to devote to it today.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can see around three sides of my tank and there is no tap, the fourth side is flush to the side of the van.
As I have said, I have not had a lot of time to devote to it today.
Did you sort it out?

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Not yet, have been otherwise engaged, Moto GP tomorrow, so it will be Monday now.
Thanks for your interest.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Right I am just back from a fortnight in Spain (Package holiday I'm afraid, booked before we bought Camper) not a good holiday I might add, both the wife and I had Delhi Belly, Me on the 11th Sept (missed Moto GP) and SWMBO on the 13th, we lost 4 days out of our fortnight, and to top it all off I have come back to Blighty with a bad Cold and feel rotten.
I have got to sort out this water drain thingy from main freshwater tank. I can't believe how the temperature has dropped while we have been away, 6 degrees on the morning of the 23rd I have taken a picture of the only tap i can find and am going to try to upload it.

Attachments

• Water tap. (2).JPG
    Water tap. (2).JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 37
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I am sure that is the boiler dump valve

Unsure if you have said what M/H this is. On our Chausson, we have two plastic pipes under the water tank. They have push fit caps on them. One is for emptying the tank completely, the other is for draining off about 2/3 of the contents for "tare" purposes (whatever that is, I suspect standard weighting)

I intend to replace the push fit caps with push fit taps

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Right I am just back from a fortnight in Spain (Package holiday I'm afraid, booked before we bought Camper) not a good holiday I might add, both the wife and I had Delhi Belly, Me on the 11th Sept (missed Moto GP) and SWMBO on the 13th, we lost 4 days out of our fortnight, and to top it all off I have come back to Blighty with a bad Cold and feel rotten.
I have got to sort out this water drain thingy from main freshwater tank. I can't believe how the temperature has dropped while we have been away, 6 degrees on the morning of the 23rd I have taken a picture of the only tap i can find and am going to try to upload it.

That looks like a drain tap to me...? Lift it and see then check hot tap and then tank....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have taken a picture of the only tap i can find and am going to try to upload it.
That is definitely the drain tap for the water heater.
You should probably have two other taps. on teh ends of convoluted hoses. A blue one like the one in post #29 for the fresh water and a similar grey one for the grey tank.

What year is your Avantgarde 400? It may be that we can find a handbook on-line if you can tell us.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
That is definitely the drain tap for the water heater.
You should probably have two other taps. on teh ends of convoluted hoses. A blue one like the one in post #29 for the fresh water and a similar grey one for the grey tank.

What year is your Avantgarde 400? It may be that we can find a handbook on-line if you can tell us.
It's a 2002/3 It's called a Suntor............Thanks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a 2002/3 It's called a Suntor............Thanks.
OK. Suntor is dealer branding and the can was made by Explorer Group. The nearest handbook will be the motorhome-handbook-pdf 2003 which you can download from Here.
Looking at this photo of a similar one it looks like the water inlet is the black circular cap just behind the washroom window. An interior photo from the same web site shows that the gas fire is below the wardrobe (also behind the washroom window) so the water heater with its drain tape (your picture in post #40) is under the wardrobe. That should mean that the fresh water tank (probably black as it was in our 2003/4 Autoquest 100) will also be located under the wardrobe or the offside bench seat. You will be able to tell by following the route of the water inlet pipe from the offside wall. You should have a convoluted pipe attached to the water tank and held in clips behind the skirt, probably somewhere just in front of the rear wheel and that should have a tap similar to that shown in the photo in post #29.
DSCF1961_1280.JPG

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Thanks GJH and ENWORD. I have that handbook, but it doesn't give any info as to where the drain tap is.
I am going to have to take the top panel off inside the wardrobe to expose tank and then maybe I can see a little more, I've tried getting in there with a torch but it's just to tight...............(Enword I have left a message previous owner)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We had an avant-garde 200 and we drained the fresh water using that yellow toggle valve it takes a while but that's how we did it
Like yourself we couldn't find any other drain valve
But make sure you close it properly @voyager14

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
We had an avant-garde 200 and we drained the fresh water using that yellow toggle valve it takes a while but that's how we did it

Thanks for that, will bear that in mind, if taking the base out of the wardrobe doesn't turn anything up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that, will bear that in mind, if taking the base out of the wardrobe doesn't turn anything up.
I hope you have got another outlet because I can imagine it certainly would take a long time just using the hot water drain.
You may have to get down on the ground and look underneath if you can't see anything in the wardrobe.
If it does turn out there is no dedicated outlet you may find that it would be quicker to run the cold water taps so that the contents of the tank are "transferred" to the grey tank and empty it from there.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I hope you have got another outlet because I can imagine it certainly would take a long time just using the hot water drain.
You may have to get down on the ground and look underneath if you can't see anything in the wardrobe.
If it does turn out there is no dedicated outlet you may find that it would be quicker to run the cold water taps so that the contents of the tank are "transferred" to the grey tank and empty it from there.
Sound like a Plan.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Remember your only draining water which you haven't used we only half filled our tank in winter and we didn't really drain a great amount off
We just opened the valve before we headed for home it was always empty by the time we got home
Don't forget to open all the taps

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Hooray, I've found it, "Eureka" and all that.
I took the side panel off inside the wardrobe allowing me to see the tank better.
Immediately I could see which was the overflow, so ruled that one out, then I followed the other one that went out through the floor back towards the tank and right behind and below the rear of the heater I could feel something, with the aid of a mirror and torch, I could see it was a tap, I can just get at it by putting a hand down either side of heater and with a thumb either side I can open it, what a great sound to hear running water, I was so excited, I had to have a lie down. After draining everything to make sure I had covered all points, leaving the tap open, I put the side panel back on and am able to reach tap as before. Thank to every one for all the help and assistance, I hop I can help others in the future as I gain more experience.

Attachments

• Water tank (4).JPG
    Water tank (4).JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 33

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back