Draining water system down for winter (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I use an oil 800w oil filled with a time clock. Works a treat through winter. IF exceptionally cold (ie below freezing, I remotely turn on the heating for an hour of so...

Why would you, fresh air moving through the motorhome is your best friend, using heat is a sure way to create condensation, simple physics, warm air and a cold surface equals condensation.

Drain all water, remove all soft furnishing, open all cupboards to allow air movement.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Why would you, fresh air moving through the motorhome is your best friend, using heat is a sure way to create condensation, simple physics, warm air and a cold surface equals condensation.

Drain all water, remove all soft furnishing, open all cupboards to allow air movement.
We use a Silverscreens external cover. No condensation on cab windows. There is natural fresh air infiltration through the roof lights. The background heating from the oil filled radiator holds a temperature of 6deg C. Ideal for frost protection. Controls the dew point of air humidity a treat.

If we want a quick winter trip we can and do. Never had any problems with this approach in 5 years and 2 different Motorhomes. No condensation, no problems. :D2

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Good luck for the future years with your system, you of course correct in that roof lights allow a flow of air through, also if you own a British built motorhome ie Autotrail the habitation door well allows a good flow of air into the motorhome. Ducato cabs are also famous for being very draughty, check out around the 240v inlet plug, fresh water inlet and see how much of the insulation has been removed.
The battery also vents outside through some rather large holes in the floor, how they can describe these vehicles as being fully winterised is a mystery to me.
One thing I would mention is a cold surface isn't always the windows any cold surface will produce condensation when introduced to warm air hence the very importance of opening all cupboards, fridge etc to allow maximum air flow.

Lastly and possibly the biggest worry of having a small heater in the motorhome is little furry animals will love a cosy place to spend the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back