Draining fresh water from Bailey Advance (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
I’m new to motohoming, and recently bought a 3 year old Bailey Advance 66-2. I’m having trouble emptying the fresh water tank (which I want to in order to get rid of potentially ‘stale’ water, but which will be more important when it comes to preparing the van for winter). As i understand it, I should just have to open the drain tap at the bottom/side of the tank, and it should empty underneath the van. Well some of the water appears to be coming out, but only a dribble, and the gauge is still showing 10% full (and I can see by undoing the cap that there’s still a lot of water in there). Does this suggest that the drain pipe is blocked? Or am I doing something wrong?

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
The Baileys have rubber plugs to drain water access is via the floor open the lid then you will see a round plug open hand in job done !

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Not sure about the advance we have an autograph. To empty the fresh water out of that we have to pull the bung out of the tank from inside the tank. The waste is from a lever on the pipe out side the van.
And common problem with bailey is how inaccurate the gauges for waste and fresh are, I would just look, you know when its empty, there non in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I have a 66-2 and I’m not aware of any bung.
The tank drains through the valve at the bottom right hand corner, a little blue tap. The water drops onto the top of the waste tank which is beneath it in the chassis. So water drips down off the waste tank in various places depending on how level the van is. ( So if your expecting to see the water draining neatly out of a little tube underneath the van, it won’t, it will be in a series of dribbles off the outside of the waste tank)
Obviously this leaves a small amount of water in the tank, you can of course drive up your levelling wedges to tilt the van back to aid the last dregs of water out through the valve. Personally I can see the point, mine has only a tiny amount of water left in, a few absorbent paper towels would probably remove.
One piece of advice I would give regarding this water system is, check the tank for any swarf left in after manufacture, ie where they have drilled holes for the pipe work. This swarf and anything else that may get into the tank is sucked up by the internal pump and into the pressure switch, which then needs cleaning out, so as your tank is empty, now is the time
to check for debris and remove it.
Edit: just noticed it’s a 3 year old van, so probably debris already removed, so ignore last paragraph.

OP
OP
DaveHobson
Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Thanks all. No, there’s no bung on the Advance 66-2 - it’s the small blue tap, as described by RidersOfRohan. Your reply was really helpful - I was indeed looking for a neat stream of water, and the water dripping randomly made me think that something was wrong. But the issue that I now have is that the water dribbles out really slowly - is that normal? There’s still a lot of water in the tank - a few cms deep.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you think there maybe a blockage try shoving a turned on hose, up the waste pipe

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I had reason to investigate a similar slow drain from the fresh water tank on a 2019 Bailey Advance i had. If, like mine your blue drain down tap is of a push fit design its worth removing it to clean it. I found mine was choked up with the black plastic shavings left over debris from when the black plastic tank was fitted. Use an old towel to soak up the rest of the tanks water before removing it though

OP
OP
DaveHobson
Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Thanks bridgedino, I’ll have a look at that - if I can ever get the tank empty!

OP
OP
DaveHobson
Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
I had reason to investigate a similar slow drain from the fresh water tank on a 2019 Bailey Advance i had. If, like mine your blue drain down tap is of a push fit design its worth removing it to clean it. I found mine was choked up with the black plastic shavings left over debris from when the black plastic tank was fitted. Use an old towel to soak up the rest of the tanks water before removing it though
The outlet pipe was indeed partially blocked - thanks for taking the time to alert me to this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think you only have one post left so use it wisely or may be consider paying the £20 per year to be a member here being a member means you can use the search facility and acces to more advice

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When we want to empty the fresh tank after each trip, we just run the taps to empty it into the grey.

A couple of times per year we sterilise the fresh tank with Puriclean. Which does a double duty when we run it through into the grey tank and let it sit there for a bit too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back