Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The Context - I have a Truma Combi E/6E UK version heating boiler in my Autosleeper Symbol. This boiler has a frost dump valve that drops the boiler contents non electronically when the temperature reaches 3 degrees.
It also has a manual dump facility too; the water tank also has an electric heater fitted too. Through the winter it is my intention to use our mh about once a fortnight or so dependent on the weather.
My mh is stored on our drive and connected to the mains!

The Problem - As I intend off site use during these periods I wonder if I should drain and refill my Truma and water system to avoid frost damage. Is this necessary? Or can I leave my water system filled?

Norman

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I would definitely drain.It only takes one freezing night & you forget & you may be looking@ an expensive repair:unsure:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Drain it you know it makes sense I use my van every day but in the winter if I am not going to be staying in it I drain it down.
it is only a case of closing two valves and filling it up usually fill it when at the garage while filling my tank.
when we go away for weekends it takes min

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am living in my van this week so I will be keeping every thing full but when I am on my way hone I will open dump on hater and tank and dump disconnect pump and drain.
I don't worry to much abut a bit of water in pipes as long as its clear of tamps and pump.
I just usually blow down tap and shower hose to clear most of the water as we hook up the van and have frost protection.
It only takes fivee min to get water back on board it we go away.
bill

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hmm this is totally different to my experience, am I doing something wrong?
I have my MH on the drive and hooked up. I have the heater on minimum. So if we get a cold night the heater comes on therefore can't freeze.
Interested to hear if there is a problem with this??

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We drain ours every time we come home from a trip and put it back in storage. Leaving the taps open. We also open all the cupboards .
We also clean it all and Hoover it.
Doesn't take long . We use the Motorhome every other weekend sometimes more , all year round.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
mines dumped till we use it again, fill up try before we go away

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I drain down,but no longer leave taps open because one year 'somebody' switched 12v power on resulting in a burnt out water pump :eek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have my MH on the drive and hooked up. I have the heater on minimum. So if we get a cold night the heater comes on therefore can't freeze.
We do exactly the same, heating is on low ( 10ËšC) through the winter anytime when we aren't using it. The dump valve is next to the Truma boiler so is kept nice and warm. Then we just fill the water tank and go.
One thing I would worry about if I kept draining everything is the in-tank water pump being dry and seals shrinking. We have thermostatically heated water tanks too, so we never fully drain the fresh water tank till we are going to use it again, then we drain fully and fill up immediately.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not a problem as such but you are heating an empty van when there may be no need. Fine for those who can afford it but not a solution otherwise.

I used to leave an oil filled radiator on during the first few years we had a van but then decided to see what happened without it. The answer was nothing - and that was the 2010/11 winter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Always drain down, it's not just the boiler, but the pipes, water pump, taps etc, that can freeze and split if it gets cold enough ... not worth the risk of having a flooded van!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I do the same, however I recently posted a question in relation to damp reading report for my first hab check by dealer and a number of experienced funsters replied not such a good idea to leave heater on
see recent post under damp reading

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya i also put winter windscreen washer fluid down all plug holes to stop the traps from splitting they can be a real pain to replace

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
After tugging for 30 years I knew all about winter prep and drained everything, BUT, I forgot that water sits in the pump and it cost me a new one in the first winter in 2011 , now I drain everything before leaving site and leave everything open on the drive home, no problem since

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Our van is parked close to the house so it's quite easy to keep it warm by either leaving the heating on low or plugging in a small oilfilled radiator.

The only time I'd drain ours down in the winter is if we are going to be away overnight and not taking the van.

If we're away in the van in the winter we wouldn't drain the system each night but leave the heating on a low setting, so if we leave the heating on a low setting or use oil filled rad. while on the drive why would I feel the need to drain down then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back