Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Today I am looking at 3 Motorhomes under 6m. My present ride is just under 11m. I have had 6m vans before but I think I might be getting a bit claustrophobic this afternoon::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
6mtr Thought you already had a toad Jim:RollEyes:
ps thats quite wide isnt it

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Good luck, I can imagine trying to look beyond the loss of space will be tricky having got used to it.

Bit random, and nowt to do with me but there is a 23 ft Trail Light on flea bay at the mo, single sofa slide and 4 berth (dinette and sofa)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Good Luck Jim, I think youre gonna need those rose coloured spectacles:ROFLMAO:

But if youve been there before then thats not so bad.

How many berths do you need.

Because if you get an A class with pull down bed, that two berth, and get a model that has a dinette and a single sofa on the other side, which gives you the ability of another two possible three, usually the dinette will have two seat belts, making it possible to only carry another two.

If six metres your target, look at Hymer B584 with two sofas,(no seat belts though) or B544 which is slightly longer, but usually a dinette or two sofas but the possiblity of two seat belts. The thing is they hold their price.

Panel vans are good though, parking in normal spots, but the insulation lets them down.

Good luck,

Pat

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim no need to say this to you but others may read,just make sure the layout is right for feet up lounging :thumb: We went from 6 berth down to 2/3 and it was the best move ever.:thumb: So much so that we have stuck with it for the last 4 yrs without wishing to change :thumb: :Doh: I tell a little lie the boss does not wish to change :ROFLMAO: me I would do another with the same layout tomorrow, but like she says why:winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If I could afford it do it today.

Now it's only me a 35 ft bus is way to big especially now Bruno has given up travelling with me as well.

Was over your way yesterday looking ay Rolling Motorhomes (what a dump)

I may sell the caravan and buy as cheap left hooker for now.

Dream is to own and A class Hymer or Pilote

A newer nicer one of these would be great http://www.rollingmotorhomes.co.uk/index.php?option=com_rdautos&view=detail&id=60

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Thats a nice little van for 9k, low mileage too

I liked it but was a dawg.

The supposed boss could not care less and told me every vehicle there was on sale or return, no trade in's taken at all even a caravan. no finance either as most vans nearly 15 years old, and his portacabin and he smelt awful:Doh::RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We are small at 23'9" ..and still an RV

Four berth, slide usual yank equipment ..and 23' 9" ... Plus we have all the grunt with a 6.8 ltr Ford V10 Triton on. Ford E350 super duty chassis.... 55 mph at 1800 revs all day long.

You will miss the A class Jim... But we have all the kit in the B class...

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Downsizing the van = downsizing the fuel bill = upsizing the bank account = win win :thumb:

Word of warning... you will get plenty of flak from the 'big boys' at the next meet.. if they let you in :roflmto:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Maybe but looking at them last year at the Windsor show, I thought they were very good value for the money, mind you for £35,000 you can get a very nice static !

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have a look at a Hymer 534 Jim,its under 6 mtr and very spacious.
Good visibility all round with a U shaped lounge and drop down bed.
Perfect for 2 people lounging,but hard to find a good one,those that have them keep them.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Our van is 5.5m. Plenty of room for two. I should think the main difference you'll notice is not having a fixed bed.

Ours is 5.99 metres with a fixed double and big garage.....plenty of space::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Today I am looking at 3 Motorhomes under 6m. My present ride is just under 11m. I have had 6m vans before but I think I might be getting a bit claustrophobic this afternoon::bigsmile:

6M that is huge.... Be positive, the benefits are many. I went from a large A class to a Kontiki then to the toy that I drive today. There are of course disadvantages..... but I can’t think of any just now. :party2:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jim;...........Today I am looking at 3 Motorhomes under 6m. but I think It might be getting a bit claustrophobic ::bigsmile::Eeek::Doh::winky:

Mmmmmmmmm Yep................. I should coco Jim

Mel :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nah, he can just use them as windbreaks like the rest of us with proper sized vans do :ROFLMAO:

Or as sun shades .. like many did with us in France ... especially in supermarket car parks..

we would park as far away from the main door as possible, do our shopping , usually a big stock -up, full trolley .. come back to find some tosser had parked up hard against the hab door ... leaving no space for the trolley .. :Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Me thinks its a panel vans he looking for.

JJ got him thinking:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Or as sun shades .. like many did with us in France ... especially in supermarket car parks..

we would park as far away from the main door as possible, do our shopping , usually a big stock -up, full trolley .. come back to find some tosser had parked up hard against the hab door ... leaving no space for the trolley .. :Doh:

What? You mean it isn't true that the French have universal high respect for motorhomes and make everything easy? :roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

6mts might be OK for the dog, but where is the family sleeping.

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jim has found a superb Link Removed on eBay - and at just the right price as well.

All he needs to do now is persuade Sian that there is room for her clothes :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What? You mean it isn't true that the French have universal high respect for motorhomes and make everything easy? :roflmto:

ooopss my omission... . I should have said a GB tosser ... the French are much better mannered.. they would ask first .. :roflmto:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Jim :thumb:

Well as you know I've downsized twice now

First time 36ft A class 1 slide to a 31ft C class 3 slides and now 7mtr Hymer A class.

Benefits are the usual ones;
Fuel, fill up is about a third of the RV.
Size means we can go just about anywhere we want with virtually no planning especially with the narrower width.
Quality of build is so much better than the newer Rvs mind you that probably applies to newer euro vans as well.
Driving is the same as a A class Rv only slightly lower but still got that nice high ride feeling if that makes sense.
Payload 1100kgs is huge compared to most under 7.5 ton Rvs, ours has a huge garage which carries my 650 Kawasaki easily so no more trailers or bike frames and fully loaded including all tanks we still have 300kgs left. Double floor so usefull lockers and insulated tanks.
Insulation qualities are amazing and one thing that has really surprised me, its so much warmer than the Rvs and so much easier and cheaper to keep warm. Obviously thats partly due to the size and no slides.

Disadvantages;
Space space space. Ours is not a small van but internal space does take some getting used to after an RV. Its early days yet and we have'nt used it enough to say for certain its for us. We have a couple of mods planned to make more of the space but will wait to see if we like the van before spending money on alterations. Its not claustrophobic and its very comfortable but you can't just move around like you can in a RV. This applies to all rooms lounge, kitchen, bedroom & bathroom.
Black tank, this is the thing I dislike most, the Rv type black tank is so much better than a cassette:cry:

Conclusion
Well its early days and after 4/5 years in Rvs and somewhere in the region of 100'000 miles its a big change but first impression is very good and I think the benefits outway the disadvantages so far. One things for sure I can't see us going back to an Rv unless the yanks change their attitude on fuel:Doh: can't see that happening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back