Downsizing - Who's done it? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Ok, we are off to the NEC tomorrow to look at a V- Line 635.
We currently have a Burstner T740 sovereign which we had from new last year, and we have been thrilled with it.
However, we have found over the year that the size, 7-49m long and the width, does sometimes cause issues when going along narrow roads etc.
We don't really like sites, only small 5 van sites etc, and tend to do Brit Stops, pub stops and like to wild camp in rural areas etc.
So, we are thinking about downsizing to a PVC, as it seems more user friendly for touring etc, and very much like the V-Line's.
This is causing us lots of headaches as we love our Burstner, and just wonder if people have downsized and regretted it.
Thinks like storage, do you still find enough space in a PVC to say tour Scotland, which is on our to do list.
Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Afraid I only seem to upsize but for short while while without a wife I did have a pvc and was amazed at the storage in it. The shower was too cramped to be useful though and there were no permanent beds.
As you tour in the UK where the weather is iffy you might find it a bit cramped if you're stuck inside for a while.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's difficult to advise in some ways as it really depends on how much cr@p kit you need to take with you! You also have an island bed I think so you need to consider if you're happy to make a bed up every night and put it away again each morning.

We downsized many years ago from a 7.3m Rimor to a 6.0m Chausson Flash 04 but found it too 'chubby' so changed to our first PVC which was an Autocruise Accent and have now gone up a bit to a Globecar FamilyScout L PVC at 6.36m which meets our needs extremely well giving us loads of storage and a fixed transverse bed plus an 'L' shaped lounge.

We found that the width of the Rimor was fine but the length was occasionally an issue, but despite the Chausson's length only being 6.0m we found the width 2.3m cause us headaches! Hence our going to PVCs at 0nly 2.1m width.

I know of some people who have made the change to a PVC and hated it so do make sure you consider all the changes (sliding door etc) compared to a coachbuilt. It may also be worth considering one of the narrower shorter coachbuilts that are out there.

There are also some narrow 'a' classes too from Hymer, Cathargo etc depending how tight are your purse strings!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Changing from an island bed to a transverse will save a lot of that 7.5 down to 6+ metres - but you would have to be comfortable with one of you clambering over the other to get out! [Not a problem for a solo traveler :whistle:]
I'm about to get a WildAx Aurora with a fixed bed - huge storage underneath. More than my current coachbuilt.

Given the cost of changing and the cost/possibility of getting "it" wrong, especially as you are uncertain - I'd strongly recommend hiring one for a week.
Yes it's expensive, but not nearly as expensive as making a mistake.

I know you're not looking at WildAx particularly, but hiring an Aurora (or one of the other models) for a few days might help.
http://www.northernmotorhomehire.co.uk/

WildAx will be at the NEC - though they don't bring an Aurora Fixed bed, just the Leisure variant.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You will be tripping over each other right from the off. All the storage space is taken up with batteries, water tanks and the like, and no side lockers to use.

Plus you will lose an absolute fortune swapping after 12 months.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
You will be tripping over each other right from the off. All the storage space is taken up with batteries, water tanks and the like, and no side lockers to use.

Plus you will lose an absolute fortune swapping after 12 months.

No! Standard vehicle battery under cab floor as all Fiat 2007 on. 2 x 100 amp habitation batteries under drivers seat, neatly contained and out of sight presenting no obstacle at all.

No! 100 litre water tank custom shaped and insulated to fit in unused space over off side wheel arch.

No! Open rear doors to find huge storage space, under fixed transverse bed, large enough to take 2 electric folding bikes, chairs, tools, water carrier, cables, blocks, brushes, and much, much more!

No! It depends on how you buy and what you pay in the first place.

We have bought/owned 9 brand new vans now. The first was a hight top VW Autosleeper Trident. Next was a large Foster and Day coachbuilt on a Merc 208D, (rubbish engine). This was followed by 2 more high top PVC's.

Latterly, we have had a 7.2 metre, 6 berth coach built from the Dethleffs family, with rear garage, built on a mark 7 Transit. Lovely van but decided to downsize after 2 years of ownership.

We then downsized to a Autocruise Alto on a 6 metre Pug and did NOT miss the space at all. In fact we found the Alto lovely to drive and indeed live in. We didn't, however, like the build quality which was seriously lacking.

After one year, we changed to a Globecar Familyscout L which was a fantastic van with masses of storage, garage, L shaped lounge and based on a Fiat 6.36 metre heavy weight chassis. Indeed, there is more room/storage in this PVC than many larger coachbuilts.

After 2 years we changed again. So pleased were we with the Globecar Familyscout L that we bought another new one. We have never missed downsizing in fact doing so has been of great benefit in many, many ways.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Our previous MH was a 740 Cheyenne and we experienced the same issues with narrow lanes and car parking when visiting towns and cities. We've downsized to a Hymer Van 562 (similar to Burstner Travel Van etc.). It's 6.68m long (incl. nudge/towbar) and just 2.18m wide and so is much smaller than the Cheyenne. We plan passing each other inside carefully :D2 but it has a swivel cab seat, half dinette with extending table, inboard fresh water tank, twin beds which are joined at the top half (some makes convert to complete doubles), a bathroom (with swinging wall to form the shower) and, to overcome storage issues, a huge garage. For us it is a more attractive downsizing when compared to going down as far as a PVC and is barely larger than a long wheelbase Transit. But it's a personal choice.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Medium size coachbuilt to small PVC.

Easy for a minimalistic person like me, the less clutter the better but for those who need to carry clothes for all seasons, vacuum cleaners and a 24 place dinner service, it's a tough call.
It's that word Compromise again. Just how much are you prepared to go without in order to be able to drive and camp anywhere you choose?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The size difference between a delivery van and a C-class is really not much outside but inside it makes a huge difference.
Have to disagree with Brian.

We have owned a couple of coachbuilt vans circa 2.3m wide + long arm mirrors. OK, but not a lot of fun exploring out-of-the-way places down narrow lanes, and accessing small country villages and towns comfortably.

Last summer we downsized to a Rapido V68 Van (PVC) which is 6.36m long and just 2.05m wide, with much more compact mirrors. It's a dream to drive and vastly more relaxing to travel in. Also feels confident on the motorway at higher speeds than the coachbuilts we've owned.

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_vans_vans_v68.chtml

The Rapido is certainly not perfect - all vans are a compromise to some degree - but it has the biggest fridge I've seen in PVC and extremely comfortable fixed twin single beds in the back, so no need to disturb each other during nocturnal trips to the bathroom.

The narrow profile takes a little getting used, in terms of living space, but we love the big sliding door on the side and the large barn doors on the back. Great for letting the outdoors in when the weather is fine. Storage is generally excellent with plenty of room; the only real challenge is the small wardrobe.

Not planning to go back to a full-size coachbuilt anytime soon...

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I like the look of that Rapido in the 360 display. We looked into PVCs a couple of years ago, but I tended to struggle for head room in a lot of them. Maybe when we haven't got 3 dogs we may contemplate again in the future...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Difficult to advise another on preferences, I have thought about doing just what you are contemplating but have come to the conclusion I would bitterly regret it after the first trip. Wy don't you hire a PVC and try it out, it might cost a few quid but a lot less than making a very big mistake.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
No! Standard vehicle battery under cab floor as all Fiat 2007 on. 2 x 100 amp habitation batteries under drivers seat, neatly contained and out of sight presenting no obstacle at all.

No! 100 litre water tank custom shaped and insulated to fit in unused space over off side wheel arch.

No! Open rear doors to find huge storage space, under fixed transverse bed, large enough to take 2 electric folding bikes, chairs, tools, water carrier, cables, blocks, brushes, and much, much more!

I agree with what ludo says, we have been motorhoming 12 years now 2 second hand vans and next month our 4 th new van a Globecar Campscout with that much storage it's unbelievable.
We're down sizing from an Auto Sleeper coach built which we tow a camping trailer with.
When we get the Globecar I can get rid of my trailer as I will have plenty of carrying space in it, much more room for my bottles of Rioja wine.

John.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I like the look of that Rapido in the 360 display. We looked into PVCs a couple of years ago, but I tended to struggle for head room in a lot of them. Maybe when we haven't got 3 dogs we may contemplate again in the future...
I'm exactly 6' tall and the headroom is very adequate for me. Oh, and the beds are long too - I sleep in the shorter one, as it happens. I've noticed headroom can be a bit of an issue in some van conversions.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A smaller Burstner might suit. You only need a van to meet your particular requirements. We have a Nexio and love it obut you might be OK with the Ixio.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We downsized from a large Bailey with fixed rear bed to an IH PVC van. We really loved the Bailey but found it a chore to drive as it was extra wide. We did loose a bit on the trade up ( down) as the van was only 2 I/2 years old, but no regrets. We love the freedom of the smaller van and we have got rid of so much "stuff". Back to basics for us! And the new van fits beautifully on the drive.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have done just what your thinking about, we had an Adria Matrix which is the exact same length and width as your current van from the outside the look identical. We have gone for a Globecar/Possl which is 6.36M long.

We had a few reasons for changing mainly due to the fact our daughter was heading off to uni and it would be just the 2 of us 90% of the time. Another reason being Lorraine wasn't keen on driving the bigger van on her own and due to my shift work she can be stuck at home all weekend, now she jumps in the van and drives to Edinburgh to pick Sophie up and spend sometime with her.

We also like to wildcamp or freeload so the smaller van is ideal for this and again due to my shifts we dont always have a full weekend so its nice and easy to jump in the smaller van and nip down to the lakes for the night.

At first we thought this is small have we made a mistake, now we know we haven't. As for storage we have fixed singles at the back with garage underneath so loads of space for junk sorry necessary stuff. We preferred the front lounge layout with fixed beds as I find the comfiest seat in any van are usually the cab ones, plus we have the seat belts if taking Sophie with us.

We've had the van a year now and toured a good bit up here and the north lakes with no issues, done 3 nights wilding last weekend in the lakes. Last summer we did some of the Swiss and French Alps where we collected Sophie and her Boyfriend at the end of their Inter railing trip, so for 1 week we had 4 in the van we did use the awning so only 2 sleeping in van and we managed ok although i wouldn't want to spend a month with 4 on board.

We have also been skiing to Glenshee and Glencoe again wildcamping in temps of -9 with no issues and all stuff dried in toilet/shower.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Yes sometimes in life you have to downsize. :D2
From this.
IMG_4294.JPG

To this
DSC_0005.JPG

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have had 3 PVCs, now on my 3rd, a WildAx Constellation. Lots of storage space, very comfortable and a roomy front lounge. We have been away for 5 weeks in it, no problem, and will be doing Scotland in May, and a 2 month trip to Southern Italy in autumn. Only drawback is making up bed every night, but WildAx Aurora has a rear bed, so there is a choice. Like the fuel economy too, on our New Year Uttoxeter trip it averaged 41.5 mpg...

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

We have bought/owned 9 brand new vans now. The first was a hight top VW Autosleeper Trident. Next was a large Foster and Day coachbuilt on a Merc 208D, (rubbish engine). This was followed by 2 more high top PVC's.

Latterly, we have had a 7.2 metre, 6 berth coach built from the Dethleffs family, with rear garage, built on a mark 7 Transit. Lovely van but decided to downsize after 2 years of ownership.

We then downsized to a Autocruise Alto on a 6 metre Pug and did NOT miss the space at all. In fact we found the Alto lovely to drive and indeed live in. We didn't, however, like the build quality which was seriously lacking.

After one year, we changed to a Globecar Familyscout L which was a fantastic van with masses of storage, garage, L shaped lounge and based on a Fiat 6.36 metre heavy weight chassis. Indeed, there is more room/storage in this PVC than many larger coachbuilts.

After 2 years we changed again. So pleased were we with the Globecar Familyscout L that we bought another new one. We have never missed downsizing in fact doing so has been of great benefit in many, many ways.

A fixed transverse bed in a PVC ??... I have one in an A Class, and im under 6ft and its still too small. and if its a fixed bed , you cant sit on it , so its dead space while you are awake.

I have had PVC's done to my own spec, never enough room, and my dad downsized to one, i am not a fan.

I guess i like space, and comfort, rather than having to be wedged in .

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Some great replies, thanks to you all.
I know everything is a compromise, but the difficult part is that I do actually love the Burstner, it's just I find it a bit stressful taking it down a lot of the roads near the coast. As I said earlier, we are not big site fans, and like to explore some of the smaller coves/places, which does sometimes pose issues when trying to get access to the places etc.
We are new to MH'ing, so I know it would be impossible to get it right first time, but hearing other people's experiences and advice really does help.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Downsized from a 32ft RV with a 12ft x 3ft slide out making the lounge/kitchen/dinette area 14ft x 11ft to a 24ft caravan.
Still room to move but just not the same.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We wanted a PVC-sized vehicle for getting down narrow lanes, etc and opted for a small, low profile with similar dimensions. In our case a Swift Rio, but Burstner do the Brevio range.

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We wanted a PVC-sized vehicle for getting down narrow lanes, etc and opted for a small, low profile with similar dimensions. In our case a Swift Rio, but Burstner do the Brevio range.
Yes, we have looked at the Brevio's, but somehow, they just didn't do it for us.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
we have found over the year that the size, 7-49m long and the width, does sometimes cause issues when going along narrow roads etc.
I think a lot of it is attitude. It seems to me that there are the more nervous 'car' drivers who tend to think I need to keep out of everybody's way; I'm in the big vehicle, I'm taking up more than my fair share of road, I should get out of the way. And there are the confident 'lorry' drivers who tend to think that as they have the bigger vehicle they need others in more manoeuverable vehicles to give them space.
I belong to the first group; but oh how I wish I belonged to the second!
Anyway, after 3 lovely years in a coachbuilt, I'm now downsizing too - one of the many reasons being the same as yours.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
A fixed transverse bed in a PVC ??... I have one in an A Class, and im under 6ft and its still too small. and if its a fixed bed , you cant sit on it , so its dead space while you are awake.

I have had PVC's done to my own spec, never enough room, and my dad downsized to one, i am not a fan.

I guess i like space, and comfort, rather than having to be wedged in .

No! Bed 6ft 6in long and 5ft wide, king size in fact and very comfortable with Merino wool topper.
DSC04887.JPG

No! You can sit, sprawl out, sleep in the afternoon with the rear doors open if you like. And, no making the beds up for the night and no need for space to store pillows and duvet during the day after dismantling the bed and converting it to seats. So, no dead space! Furthermore we have a largish "L" shaped lounge with 6+ seats in our PVC.

DSC04866.JPG

And, no joint leaks as with coachbuilt/A class, solid, strong, whole Fiat body.

DSC04858.JPG
20130413_123720.jpg
20130413_123606.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
ludo, that's very interesting. Which model us it, and do they still do it?
Any chance of a photo of the bathroom?
Many thanks
I've got the same model, thanks to Ludo telling me how wonderful his is! It's a Globecar FamilyScout L but unfortunately it was only made for a few years 2013-15 I think, so not available as a new order but you can pick them up second hand ... we love ours for the reasons Ludo has mentioned in both his posts.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi Nigel, we did the same last van round, from a 7.5m coach built to a 6.36m IH RL. Like yourself it wasn't the length but the width and the overall driving experience. We are now changing to another IH, but an N class, we like the fixed rear panel and the non sliding door, more like a mini a class, but exactly opposite to many others!! Lol!
We also spend lots of time on Brit stops, stellplatz and aires, we have a 140amp battery, 100w solar, battery master and an inverter, which along with a decent sized gas rank makes us fully independent.
Downsides, you need to be reasonably slimmish to use the shower comfortably and you have to make the bed up, we use duvalays.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A 2014 model for sale here:

Broken Link Removed

Video here:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back