Downsizing. Do you have to be small/thin/agile to make a pvc work for you? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
me 6'4" built like the proverbial red brick outhouse
Brenda 5'2" and cuddly
we have owned a few pvc vans and loved the freedom, but hated the very limited space. if one of us needed to move down the van, the other had to sit down. hard to find a standard bed in a pvc over 6'. It spoilt camping for us in many ways

now we have an 8.5m tag axle and explore using the tow car

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I'm 6' and better half 5'6" and we weigh in at 31st between us, at 73 and 67 we're no spring chickens ether.
Earlier in the year we spent 6 weeks in the Algarve along with our cockerpoo, we have a fixed transverse bed 1.2 wide which narrows to 1.00 which we had some reservations about but found it very comfortable, this allowed for a large shower/toilet, full cooker/sink unit + a compressor fridge, the driver and passenger seats swivel to face a tv on the side of the high positioned fridge with a seat under, a removable pedestal table compleats the sitting area.
We have never regretted down sizing, and a extra advantage is it can be used as a second vehical at home.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We bought an Autotrial Trigano 650 Pvc to try it
it took one night away
Its coming up for sale
brilliant as a day van or single person over nigh
dont let anyone fool you into thinking your getting anything like a usable double

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
me 6'4" built like the proverbial red brick outhouse
Brenda 5'2" and cuddly
we have owned a few pvc vans and loved the freedom, but hated the very limited space. if one of us needed to move down the van, the other had to sit down. hard to find a standard bed in a pvc over 6'. It spoilt camping for us in many ways

now we have an 8.5m tag axle and explore using the tow car
Just shows how we are all so different in our preferences and ideas.We had a 7.5 mtg van with a fixed bed,,my better half hated it.Must admit our small Symbol has a better lounge and kitchen than our large one.Horses for courses..BUSBY?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC, it replaced an 8.5m frankia.
We can do everything we did in the frankia but only one thing at once. Bed wise we are bigger in the PVC and have more than enough storage with the extra high top giving a massive overcab locker and larger roof level cupboards.
There are lots of PVCs out there that other owners love and we just couldnt cope with, so it's all down to the layout.
Our van is like the swiss army knife, very versatile and has lots of different functions.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We dowmsized from a 7m. coachbuilt to a 6m. PVC 3 years ago. Loved the easier driving and parking up, and just got used to the smaller internal space. The fixed bed was actually slightly wider than in previous van, but over time we still found it a bit narrow, especially if using it for 8 weeks at a time. We could take everything we took in previous van, but often what we wanted involved taking out other stuff first. It had a very clever toilet/shower arrangement (Rapido V55), but as we used the shower for additional storage, and both had to be out of bed if the shower was to be used, it was a bit less spontaneous than we wanted. And yes, the corridor conundrum.
So, we have just changed back to a 7m. coachbuilt with big single beds, a big garage, and a shower that will be available whenever. Only just got it, not been away yet, so we'll see how much we miss the compactness when driving. Fingers crossed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just gone 'the other way' ... having had three PVCs we've now got a slimline a-class, a Carthago Compactline i-138, that at 2.12 is only slightly wider than a PVC at 2.05m which is why we went for it; there isn't another a-class range that is so narrow. We loved the ability of being able to take the PVCs along narrow country roads etc and did NOT want to restrict how we holiday so did not want a 'fat' MH.

Whilst we loved the sliding door on the PVC bringing the 'outside in' it is one thing we have had to forego but the cab/seating area in the MH is very light and bright, with plenty of windows so hopefully we won't miss it. The layout of our new MH is very similar to the second PVC we had, a Globecar Familyscout L, with a small 'L-shaped' front lounge and transverse fixed double bed (ludo ;)) but with the added benefit of a front transverse bed too so if we sometimes want to sleep separately we can, something that wasn't practical for us in the Familyscout. Our last PVC, a Globecar Campscout, had twin single beds which were great but obviously giving over the extra length to these meant the front seating was just a half dinette which, although it worked fine, was a bit of a squeeze with 3 dogs under our feet.

One thing to consider about PVCs is that, although we found ours nice and snug, the insulation levels aren't as good as a coachbuilt/a-class MH and for me became a major consideration as the cold affects me more than it used. As we want to go to colder countries (Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc) not having to be worried about being cold is with our new MH is a big plus ... unless you really feel the cold and suffer from issues with it, it is very difficult to understand just how concerning this can be and it has prevented us from doing trips in the past, hopefully no more!

There will be things we'll miss about the PVC of course but with our new MH we feel we've got the one that best meets our needs now and hopefully without us having to make any changes to how we 'holiday'.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
After upsizing from a VW T4 the 5.4m PVC we have is probably the shortest Ducato that has the layout with a rear fixed transverse double bed, usable centre washroom, and front dinette. The main compromises are the slight taper at the foot of the bed and the restricted knee room at the table. The bed is fine, but the knee room means SWMBO sometimes complains that we should have bought a 6m PVC.

We are both quite compact, which helps. I think it is roomy enough.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sue and I love our 7.5m van where we have lots of room to spread out, oodles of storage and most importantly a decent amount of space in the shower and loo. This doesn't stop us though occasionally looking enviously at pvcs and their owners, thinking about how much easier they must be to drive (especially for Sue), how many more out of the ways places we could visit, how much simpler they would be to maintain etc., etc.

The main problem with us though is that compared to pretty much all of the pvc users we see both of us would appear to be too big, as well as being less nimble than most and a bit on the clumsy side. How much of a hindrance in reality is size, both height and girth (!) to the enjoyment of a pvc? We understand that the way we use our van would have to change, maybe a bit more eating and relaxing outside or under an awning but really, almost without exception most of the pvc owners we chat to are small to normal sized folk who seem to lead much more active lifestyles than us with lots of cycling, hiking and exercise based hobbies. We enjoy cosy nights watching satellite tv in the van in France eating chocolate and drinking wine with a leisurely stroll into town maybe for the odd meal or drink. Constantly pushing past one another and squeezing through gaps to use under sized facilities whilst bumping one's extremities on hard sticky out bits doesn't sound like our idea of fun! Any bigger folk on here happily using pvcs? I should have said, I'm not enormous (6 foot tall and 19 stone) but not Wayne Sleep sized either!
Im 6'2 14 stone My wife is 5'10 and 9 stone we have a 5.4 metre HymerCar, from what I can tell equipment wise it has most of what a larger MoHo has, it is cosy we mainly cook rather than go out and yes we do sit outside when its warm.

It certainly has less space than a larger MoHo but as others have said try before you buy but looking at your post I suspect you may have already ruled out a PVC, Good Luck with your search.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Depends where you want to be going , IMO once you are too big for one parking space , you may as well fill 2.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
As suggested above,definitely hire.

My wife and I are not exactly thin. We considered a PVC first. We finally ruled it out but not for internal space considerations, it is manageable. But there is a rich offering of motorhomes between a 2.3m wide, 7.5m long MH and a PVC. It is not a binary choice.

We settled on a Hymer ML-T 560. Slightly wider than a PVC, 6.74m long, way, way more comfortable and practical. Much better insulated, fully winterized, etc...

There are others, even more compact motorhomes that offer a level of service that is simply impossible to achieve in a PVC.

Now to each his own, if a PVC is what one wants, go for it. That big door on the side is a great asset!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As my wife has some mobility problems we also wondered about this before we downsized two years ago.

You will certainly find a “pinch point” between the front cab area and the lounge/sleeping area but that is not a major problem. Passing each other is virtually impossible but one at a time is fine.

We rationalised the situation by appreciating that 95% of our time would be spent either sitting in the front lounge area, (very comfortable with swivel cab seats etc), or in bed, which we leave permanently made-up to assist with my wife’s difficulties. Only while passing through the pinch point, or cooking, would that area be used.

That has been borne out in experience since then.

Although we spend as much time outdoors as possible we also did that with our Coachbuilt m/hs. In poor weather, or winter time, we find the cab dinette is fine for eating, although I did make a smaller table for use as the original one was large and heavy.

We are intending to replace our PVC next year and it will be with another PVC. We are intending to change from a 6m van to a 6.4m one, not because of the internal space but to have more accessible storage for everyday items. Although our PVC is “Tardis like” in its ability to swallow items too many lockers are underfloor or under the bed area . That’s fine for the things we use later in a long trip but we would like the ability to have more things in the easier access lockers.

However, we have never considered going going back to Coachbuilts. The ease of driving, parking, manoeuvreing in tight spaces and the much reduced danger of water leaks has fully converted us to the PVC way of life.

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why are all the posts in this thread massive? Havnt read them all so might be repeating stuff, but we downsized from a coach built to our converted ambulance, and find we have actually got more space that we use , whereas we had four or more seats in the old one they were cramped up to get them in , same with beds we had two beds where we only need one and both were again smaller, now although we have to pull out a slide to make the bed, it's massive when up or when in we have two full size seats.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
and no whoosh bang door

Haha - that made me laugh - but the 'whoosh bang door' is a big attraction for us.

We have just sold our Frankia A Class and ordered a Murvi Morello, largely because after 3 months hiring a PVC in Australia and New Zealand at the beginning of the year, we realised that the flexibility of a PVC was a massive attraction, as was the wide open side door.

Massive front lounge and a brilliant kitchen. Nothing at all obstructing the side door. Sure, there's a 'pinch point' towards the rear, but that will exist in virtually all but the most enormous vans, and an individual's size (or lack of) is unlikely to eradicate that completely. Many PVC layouts wouldn't work for us at all, and we looked at virtually every layout available.

How you use a van is very personal, and however much advice you get, you would (IMO) have to try one to know the answer for you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As suggested above,definitely hire.

My wife and I are not exactly thin. We considered a PVC first. We finally ruled it out but not for internal space considerations, it is manageable. But there is a rich offering of motorhomes between a 2.3m wide, 7.5m long MH and a PVC. It is not a binary choice.

We settled on a Hymer ML-T 560. Slightly wider than a PVC, 6.74m long, way, way more comfortable and practical. Much better insulated, fully winterized, etc...

There are others, even more compact motorhomes that offer a level of service that is simply impossible to achieve in a PVC.

Now to each his own, if a PVC is what one wants, go for it. That big door on the side is a great asset!
2.22m wide, a PVC is 2.05m wide, so that's 17cm more, nearly 7 inches. Certainly not as wide as a lot at 2.30m or even 2.35m but still too fat for us! :giggle:

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
2.22m wide, a PVC is 2.05m wide, so that's 17cm more, nearly 7 inches. Certainly not as wide as a lot at 2.30m or even 2.35m but still too fat for us! :giggle:

But there are others, like the one you chose.

Look at an Exsis-T, at the point where the cabin joins the coach build part. You'll notice de width difference is very, very slight. The Exsis-T has the same width as an ML-T with an actual body width of 2.12m. 1.5 inch wider on each side.

What Hymer communicates is the total width including the little bits that stick out. While they are at it, they should communicate the width including the mirrors. Would make as much sense.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We too have an Adria twin 640. It does get cosy when “passing” but you get used to it. The benefits outweigh the squeeze for us, but each to their own. Definitely try one out first, it works for us though.
Phil 6 ft. Gill. 5.4 ft.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have you actually tried a compact coachbuild?
When we first returned to motorhoming, eight years ago, after a six year absence , we had a compact coachbuilt. We bought it and kept it for two years then bought “bigger”.

We were over 3500kgs so, at 70, I would have needed to renew a c1 licence. A friend of ours had renewed his at 70, bought an A class over 3500kgs, then failed his medical at 73!

We decided at that time to revert to sub 3500kgs. On looking around we revisited “compacts” and looked at PVCs.

We decided that the advantages of a compact did not outweigh our reservations regarding possible water leaks due to methods of body construction and preferred the more solid shell of a van conversion. That doesn’t mean that PVC’s are the correct choice for everyone, we are all different.

A long answer to your question.

The short answer..... yes, we have considered “compact” motorhomes but a PVC does it for us.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have a Chausson Flash 10 Coachbuilt and never really worry about the width of the van at 2.3m. If the mirrors can get thro so can the rest of the van. It's only 6m long so that helps.

However, while liking this van very much and would not change it in normal circumstances, IF we came into a small amount of money I'd get a 6.3m PVC made to our spec. All of the fitments in the Flash 10 have proved to be workable and durable and by living with them I can see how they could work in a PVC. The extra 0.3m of length would compensate for the reduction in width and would still give a separate toilet and separate shower, plus full size fridge, floor to ceiling wardrobe, 4 travelling seats and beds for 4. I'd expect the seating area round the table would sit between 4 and 6 people.

The only reason for me to go the PVC route would be I'd be incorporating my ideas into my vehicle rather than living in a van designed by someone else.

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We downsized from 7-4mtr Bailey to 6-3mtr ih no regrets and we don't have the dread sliding door so best of both worlds

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Just been looking at the interesting Wildax Elara, which is a fair bit longer than the usual pvc. Anyone on here got one?

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Just been looking at the interesting Wildax Elara, which is a fair bit longer than the usual pvc. Anyone on here got one?

7 meters, full iron, it is bound to be heavy. If you're with a C driving license, no problem. Also, it won't be massively maneuverable with that very long wheelbase.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

I checked the figures on an Elara and if you add a few extras then you'll have virtually no payload available at 3.5T

Lovely vans but very heavy beasts.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
After upsizing from a VW T4 the 5.4m PVC we have is probably the shortest Ducato that has the layout with a rear fixed transverse double bed, usable centre washroom, and front dinette. The main compromises are the slight taper at the foot of the bed and the restricted knee room at the table. The bed is fine, but the knee room means SWMBO sometimes complains that we should have bought a 6m PVC.

We are both quite compact, which helps. I think it is roomy enough.
We went from VWT5 to 5.4pvc and share the driveway so a wider unit not in the running (unless next door promise to get out of their car through the tailgate every time). Notwithstanding the inevitable Motorhome shuffle, it’s good to stand up even when too rainy for the pop up roof to be popped up... we have thought about removing the table and using the fold up table as and when, it haven’t done so (yet). no regrets, we got what we asked for, (visited, stared into and sat in loads of vans) and it’s what we wanted, but 130bhp Fiat is (much) less rewarding to drive than 190bhp VW.
who said horses for courses? Spot on. We are all different, with differing needs.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
As has been said, although we all use the same vehicle group, the needs and demands of each of us is vastly different.

The honesty of that assessment is what will drive the right decision.

My choice is driven by wallet size , pretty much , I will have the biggest thing I can get for my money , which will pretty much be a £25k A Class

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I checked the figures on an Elara and if you add a few extras then you'll have virtually no payload available at 3.5T

Lovely vans but very heavy beasts.
Payload from 330kg according to their website, plus the Mercs are not a paper exercise to up plate!

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
We went from a 7.5mt to a 5.99pvc and found the pvc fine did a 5 week trip this year no prob I am nearly 6ft 16ish stone just get the layout correct as always after having 5 caravans and one other motorhome the pvc is the best

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
5ft 3”. SHMBO 4ft 8”. Still would like more room in our Starlet 2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun