Downsized from motorhome to campervan. (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We have downsized from a Bailey with a fixed rear bed to an IH PVC. We love it and would never go back. Went through all our stuff and got rid of so much, quite liberating really. Oh and we call ours a camper!

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We downsized the same as Lesley (Wicketter) from a Bailey to a twin single beds Pilote. We have now been to places we would never have took the coachbuilts.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sold our Hymer S700 2 months ago. I am now looking to downsize to an Auto-Sleeper PVC next year. I had an Auto-Sleeper before the Hymer. Both seemed well constructed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sold our Hymer S700 2 months ago. I am now looking to downsize to an Auto-Sleeper PVC next year. I had an Auto-Sleeper before the Hymer. Both seemed well constructed.
We are now on our sixth m/h.

The only one we had serious trouble with was an Autosleeper Ravenna (coachbuilt). The build quality was so atrocious that we parted company within 18 months, suffering quite a loss on trade-in. Problems included 5 separate gas leaks in the 18 months as well as poor work on fittings and fixtures.

A pity, as I had always regarded Autosleeper as good quality and aspired to one. Perhaps we were just unlucky!

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We downsized from a Bessacarr e795 (7.6m) to a Vantage Cub (5.4m) and it was a step too far! We then upsized slightly to the Autocruise Rhythm (6.21m) and love it. The Rhythm came with extra storage (top box and gas cupboard (as it has an underslung gas tank) so is perfect for us.
2016 08 Vantage Cub.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Obviously this thread has attracted mostly downsizers but with some current upsized, or those who have upsized at some point.

But it may be worth putting some points on an alternative view.

Our 7m. N+B Arto(2003) is a first MH (I stick with motorhome as one day it maybe a nearly full-time home).

Size

Internal
- We have 2 king-sized beds(used when Basia's Mother has been with us, and this year when we had friends we were taking to their rental MH in Brittany); a table for 4 comfortably or a squeezed 6; large garage for 2 bikes or later a scooter, plus lots of equipment and food/wine overflow storage(useful for when wilding for days in W.Scootland/Pyrenees and for the friends big boxes of linen and kitchen equipment for the rental). I cannot imagine living with less space - especially if we long-term; we already carry summer and winter clothes as our 'season' is split with storing MH away and flying back. Only time EHU cable has been used is at friends' houses.

External

Many people have mentioned easier to drive - not a worry for me as I used to drive 7.5t tailgates. In fact with our 3m height and large windscreen we find many vehicles, even trucks, will pull over to let us through - probably look like a coach to some.

Access to places that a PVC can go? We are not city visitors(Cathedrals/Museums etc.) but we can park outside and cycle in. We prefer to wildcamp/Aires etc. where 7m. and 2.3m width is no problem.

There is the odd low bridge we have to avoid, but rarely. The 3m. height allows for the huge panorama screen which makes the front lounge more like a conservatory and gives us mountain-top views on the road.

Build quality

Whilst I appreciate that there are some PVC converters who do achieve good quality, and can do because they are not hitting the 3500kg ceiling, there are coachbuilts and some 'A' Class which skimp to meet the weight. Above 3500kg it is not such a struggle(depending on chassis)

A lot of the recognised quality Continental builders only offer a good range in the larger MHs and some do not offer smaller ones at all(N+B did not till very recentl) So those seeking downsizing are more restricted in choice of quality build.

Style of use

As I said we do a lot of wild camping, so ability to carry 120lt water, 80lt waste-water, 80lt diesel for a week off-grid, and all the food/clothes and books etc for weeks away - we fly home with hand baggage - so we would be pushed to live that lifestyle in anything much smaller.

There are different reasons for choosing different sizes, but I just thought I would put some points in the thrread, not so much for those who have taken their decision, but more for others who may read the thread to get a view on the subject.

Enjoy whatever you have chosen.

Geoff

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Any head-height issues in a PVC?

I'm still debating downsizing our old coachbuilt to a more modern PVC, at 6' 2" will I be bashing my head on the roof vent trims or anything??

OP
OP
mikeandmary
Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure about that in our Autocruise Accent. It's away from home in storage so can't even check head room at the moment but, will check before Xmas and let you know.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008

I'm still debating downsizing our old coachbuilt to a more modern PVC, at 6' 2" will I be bashing my head on the roof vent trims or anything??
Our Rhythm is ok - but when we were looking we found some were limited if they had a raised floor in the back - I remember a Globecar that looked great in terms of layout but I couldnt stand upright in the rear lounge.

OP
OP
mikeandmary
Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
The Accent has the same raised floor at the rear, same as the Rhythm. It’s awkward for me and I’m only 5’11”. Also, there is a step up at the front between the driver and passenger seats, also a bit awkward.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

If you want Height then look at the Globecar Campscout Revolution like we have. Its based on the extra high top and gives as much headroom as a coachbuilt, with the benefit of extra height you get extra large high level storage including a massive over cab cupboard big enough to use for human trafficking :xrofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@mikeandmary just remembered that I've got an Autocruise Accent 2012 handbook/manual kicking around somewhere - have you got one? If not let me know.

Deleted User
We hired a coach built van, 7.2m before we bought our PVC. We loved the room in the coach built when on site, however, we wanted a van for touring, usually only staying for one night at any location and often travelling long distances in a short period of time before we start exploring. For us, the PVC won hands down, its driveability is in a different league, smooth, quick, stable and economical at motorway speeds. Given we are out in the van all day we only cook and sleep in it so we leave the bed made up and use the front dinette to eat, watch TV etc. It works great for us, however, if we used the motorhome as many others do eg drive to a site and stay there for days on end we would probably want a coach built for the extra space, width and height, not that that is going to happen in our particular case just not our cup of tea

OP
OP
mikeandmary
Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
@Reliant
I agree with you, I find ours to be easier to drive, smoother ride, more stable, less rattles and averaged 32mpg on our first trip over a few hundred miles on A and B roads into Wales. And it’s got the comfortmatic gearbox. To be fair, the motorhome was quite economical as well, averaging 30+ but it was the width of it that made me nervy and you couldn’t hear yourself speak for the rattles. Blimey, you’ve got me off on one now.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

You will need to check that carefully for yourself. I am 6' tall and have just sufficient headroom in our Rapido pvc.

Changing from a coachbuilt to a pvc, the one thing that caught me out is the lower headroom access from the habitation area to the cab. It was just a case of remembering to duck my head a bit lower when moving between the two areas. Bumped my nut a few times, which assisted my memory after a while... ;)

Plenty of headroom for driving.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There is no doubt that it’s horses for courses.

We have done the large coachbuilts, and enjoyed them. There is definitely more room in them than in the PVC. However, we tend to use the m/h as our only form of transport when living in France and the extra width has caused problems in parking on occasion but, the biggest problem has been approaching village Brocantes through very narrow lanes with traffic coming towards us and behind us. It has created havoc sometimes.

The PVC is very comfortable, quiet on the road and easy to drive in narrow lanes. Big it isn’t. But that is ideal for us now. It will enable us to visit some of the “Plus Beaux Villages de France” that h@ve been difficult in the coachbuilt.

I held a HGV licence for many years so driving large vehicles doesn’t bother me. That wasn’t the reason for downsizing, but the smaller vehicle does give us more freedom.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There's been a positive and encouraging response from these downsizers. We've never owned a coachbuilt to compare, but came up from smaller campervans. So to us, our 6 metre van is huge. Yes, it's easy to fill it up with stuff, but I can't say that storage is a problem.

Together with friends also with pvcs we attended some single-make rallies (mostly with 6-wheeelers) and some of the other ralliers have disdainfully referred to our vans as "those little things". It didn't make us feel too welcome. Is there snobism in motorhoming, or are we being uber-sensitive?
@Dorwyn Yes there are always those, but its all relative as those that decry yours are also seen as "those little things" by others :xcool::D so dont let it bother you that much :xThumb: I have a foot in both ends, our other is a landrover camper , and its quite entertaining some of the conversations that you hear in either group :sneaky:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I never comment on other people's choice of MHs - unless it is equal or better quality than our N+B, but then the comments are complimentary:)

[Might have scored an own goal there, because if I meet any of you and do not comment you might be insulted - good job we wild camp alone a lot:LOL:]

Geoff

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
We have a PVC a 7meter sprinter an s&l conversion . we spend around ten months away mainly in Spain. front lounge so lots of space plus a rear wash room with shower !fabulous build quality plus much better on wet rally fields rear wheel drive with traction control ! We down sized from an 8 meter caravan and range rover ! Never looked back

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Recently downsized from 9m A Class to a 6.4m Globecar. It’s early days and I’m not totally convinced just yet. However it is much quieter to drive ie no rattles at all and I mean none. Feels very nimble and head room as good as the A Class as it has the extra high roof which few PVCs have. We use ours all year round and I’m sure a PVC is earlier to live with in better weather than the 3 winter months I’ve had ours so far.

So far so good, but the jury is currently a majority vote and not a unanimous one.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a PVC a 7meter sprinter an s&l conversion . we spend around ten months away mainly in Spain. front lounge so lots of space plus a rear wash room with shower !fabulous build quality plus much better on wet rally fields rear wheel drive with traction control ! We down sized from an 8 meter caravan and range rover ! Never looked back
Very interesting. Didn't know you could get a 7m PVC. What is an S&I conversion or do you have a link?
Cheers.

jeffgolding

Free Member
Sep 7, 2008
Funster No
Hello,
We went the other way and changed from van conversions to a coach built.
We had a timberland and two Vantage Neos, we got fed up with the inevitable pinch points and the narrowness especially when sitting opposite each other, banging knees together, also at 6.4 meters was a pain to park as it overhung car parking bays.
We changed to an Autosleepers Nuevo, at 5.7 meters long fits easily into most parking bays, we just fold the wing mirrors in. It is truly a tardis, ample storage, we sleep as two single beds, using the front seats turned around, Being an end kitchen there are no pinch points, and it is a beautifully made van.
We are now waiting for a new Stanton, auto Mercedes as I have dodgy knees, same as the Nuevo but on the merc, in our opinion the layout and quality just can’t be beaten

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hope it's ok mikeandmary but a slight change of subject.

With all the experience you have now if you were looking for another PVC today, based on either Ducato or Sprinter from 2010 onwards, with a fixed (or permanently set up rear double bed) and a forward dinette, which model would you go for and why?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
There is no doubt that it’s horses for courses.

We have done the large coachbuilts, and enjoyed them. There is definitely more room in them than in the PVC. However, we tend to use the m/h as our only form of transport when living in France and the extra width has caused problems in parking on occasion but, the biggest problem has been approaching village Brocantes through very narrow lanes with traffic coming towards us and behind us. It has created havoc sometimes.

The PVC is very comfortable, quiet on the road and easy to drive in narrow lanes. Big it isn’t. But that is ideal for us now. It will enable us to visit some of the “Plus Beaux Villages de France” that h@ve been difficult in the coachbuilt.

I held a HGV licence for many years so driving large vehicles doesn’t bother me. That wasn’t the reason for downsizing, but the smaller vehicle does give us more freedom.

@maison, is that your Dutch barge?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I wish!:xlaugh:

No just a pic I took while out walking the dog near our French home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back