Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi could someone please explain, in plain English how to get the Aires download file , downloaded and opened in a readable format? So far have only managed to download this in a format which is all signs and symbols.
Thanks Wee John
::bigsmile:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
They are Hieroglyphs chuck.................Jim wrote it in his teens :ROFLMAO:

Boo

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Wee John,

When you want to download anything your computer MUST first have the software to open it, for example to download, open and view a Word Document you need Word on your computer.

Having just said that I have just tried to download the Autoroute Pushpin files of French Sites including Municiples, I have Microsoft Autoroute 2006 and I got a message saying 'an un named file had bad format'

Now I 'think' that means that the Sites file has been made on a newer version of Autoroute a 2007 or 2008, you can open files the other way a 2005 file on 2006 software but not the other way around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Downloads

I appreciate the humour and all that, but I would like to download the file on the aires etc, but cannot get it downloaded in a readable format on either my laptop or house computer, so can someone please suggest a step by step guide to achieve a successful download.
Not much use having this information on this site, if it cannot be downloaded easily! So there!:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi john.

i just opened it in a notepad document.

clicked the download then clicked the 3rd file from left....says "RVfulltiming sites"

this then opens in notepad, check out the thumbnail.

gives the site location and gps co-ords.

the ov2 file is to download directly to a satnav i think.

if you aint got notepad it wont open except in code.

hope this helps.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I appreciate the humour and all that, but I would like to download the file on the aires etc, but cannot get it downloaded in a readable format on either my laptop or house computer, so can someone please suggest a step by step guide to achieve a successful download.
Not much use having this information on this site, if it cannot be downloaded easily! So there!:

After downloading the aires you need to extract the files, for each type there will be a bmp file looks like a little pic of motohome and an ov2 file which appears to be a book,

There are 4 pairs of files these need to be added to your sat nav in the map file, once there you can enable them.. if you open the ov2 file the info will mean nothing to you;but when installed into your sat nave the aires will show up on route

Regards

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Downloads

pappajohn/sinbad1
many thanks, I appreciate the meaningful help. I appear to have been more successful following those guidelines.
Heading shortly to a National Trust site for a few days, so will have more time to fuuutter! with sat nav.
by the way , is it expensive to "hire a glyphs
":ROFLMAO:?
Bye and thank you
WeeJohn[/FONT]

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
downloads in the dumps

Hi just annot get the files to download in nothing other than meaningless letters and symbols. Pity this info is there yet not easily got at!
wanted to download aires and municipal sites to tom tom, but just cannot, beyond my ability!:cry:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi just annot get the files to download in nothing other than meaningless letters and symbols. Pity this info is there yet not easily got at!
wanted to download aires and municipal sites to tom tom, but just cannot, beyond my ability!:cry:

You need to connect your tom tom to your pc then add the files using tomtom home if you have not got the software click here select the appropriate download.

Or if your tomtom has a SD card use a card reader to connect to your computer browse the contents of the sd card open the folder GB_plus_m and add the files you have downloaded. ie you will have 2 files for each Aires and municipal a bmp file and ov2 file.

When your card is replaced in your TT then you will need to tick to show on the map

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
If you download files for a TomTom, you should get a text file ending in .ov2 and an icon ending in .bmp. Thes two files have to be copied to the folder in the TomTom (or card) that has the maps in it.

Activate the POIs by using the TomTom menu for POIs.

The main problem is that there are many makers of software and each tends to use their own type of file to import the information. Autoroute can hold much more information about the site in its "other Data" fields. Most sat nav systems just have a name, longitude, latitude and icon.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Downloads

Hi folks, many thanks, I found the linked page on another thread on TOM TOM downloads very helpful - at least easy to understand- will give it a go later on again!
Agghhhhhh computers, like women- a wife especially, hard to understand!

:cry-smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Agghhhhhh computers, like women- a wife especially, hard to understand!

:cry-smile:

Ah yes, but you can switch your lappy off ..

it also has lots of memory but no imagination... women have plenty of imagination but no memory... :roflmto:

good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back