Downloading TV and Films (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
What sites do people use for downloading films and TV programmes that are not time limited like iplayer?

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Have a look at get_iplayer to download BBC programmes without a time limit. You have to fiddle about with it to get it to do what you want but it's very versatile and rewards a bit of hard work. I tend to download stuff on unlimited broadband (at work - sh!) to watch at home or in the motorhome where there is a download limit. In rural northern Essex, fibre is part of the diet rather than a technical innovation and we have a wireless internet provider who is unwilling to provide an unlimited connection.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We have one of these filled with Films and TV series--

Link Removed

And one of these to convert all the various formats and a remote control --

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sumvi...687082?hash=item2c94c7dc6a:g:eCAAAOSwZjJU7JyJ

My Sumvision won't play everything, stuff that I have recorded onto hard drives from freeview and freesat and I have never found anything that will convert them to mp4 either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Another option - no stealing is involved - buy a HUMAX HDR2000T freeview box - and transfer recordings via USB to pc- convert to Mp4 on to a portable hard drive - and when on site connect this to your TV - very straight forward - we took the HD to Germany and France this summer and never used it - sitting in a chair looking at the sky is much better (y)

How do you convert to mp4? I have loads of stuff on hard drives that I can only play back through the freeview/freesat box.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We all prefer free to paying for something.
How do you convert to mp4? I have loads of stuff on hard drives that I can only play back through the freeview/freesat box.
@matamoros Videolan or VLC is very good for playing and converting. Open source: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

That is a link you will thank me for :)

Instructions:

• Convert from the Media menu. Click on the Media menu in VLC, and then click on Convert / Save.
  • Select video(s) to convert. ...
  • Select the file name for the converted video. ...
  • Select video format for the conversion. ...
  • Advanced Settings (Optional) ...
  • Conversion: Videos saved in the target format.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
We all prefer free to paying for something.

@matamoros Videolan or VLC is very good for playing and converting. Open source: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

That is a link you will thank me for :)

Instructions:

• Convert from the Media menu. Click on the Media menu in VLC, and then click on Convert / Save.
  • Select video(s) to convert. ...
  • Select the file name for the converted video. ...
  • Select video format for the conversion. ...
  • Advanced Settings (Optional) ...
  • Conversion: Videos saved in the target format.

I had VLC once but it wouldn't play the files I have, no idea what format they are, but I didn't know that it would also convert, I will look into that(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Another free piece of conversion software is Handbrake
clear.png

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If you get VLC from that link, you'll have the latest version, which is much more flexible. I've even used it to stream RTMP

Don't know Handbrake, but it looks good

Whilst on the subject (not suggesting anything that might be in any way "dodgy"), this is a handy link Link Removed

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My Sumvision won't play everything, stuff that I have recorded onto hard drives from freeview and freesat and I have never found anything that will convert them to mp4 either.

According to my son who seems to every thing about spurious video download's, that there is a program called Internet Video Converter that will? I have had a few failures but not many.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
According to my son who seems to every thing.

Don't they always? :) My daughters know so much I'm surprised they had any need to go to school, let alone uni. In fact, they know so much more than I, I am surprised that they need me to subsidise their lifestyles by housing them, paying for their holidays and generally preserving (what they foolishly believe) will be their inheritance.

I really don't know how I managed until they came along

Internet Video Converter seems another good one. I prefer to keep to VLC largely because I know it to work, and it is updated frequently with the latest codecs

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
What sites do people use for downloading films and TV programmes that are not time limited like iplayer?
Psst. Bet you wish you'd never asked, don't you. I've got a headache now but I've got 20 packs of paracetamol I bought from the car boot.
Did I say that out loud? Oops

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have flirted with media conversions in the past as technology advances. In the main I found it a tedious process with variable results.
I have recently decided to keep it simple, been trawling charity shops and eBay for DVDs to store up for any rainy cold evenings in the camper. A couple of pounds each. I had a Netflix free subscription for 6 months with our new TV in January but have not kept it on as the films I wanted to see were not on it. The DVDs I have been buying would be pay to view on SKY so no point in trying to convert and store for later viewing.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What file type are they? My records in .rec file type, which I can play on my Android tablet with MX player app.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
What file type are they? My records in .rec file type, which I can play on my Android tablet with MX player app.

I have not got my hard drive to hand at the moment but I know that is not the file type, I think they may be .dvi or something similar.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have not got my hard drive to hand at the moment but I know that is not the file type, I think they may be .dvi or something similar.
I find converting files takes an age, and you don't know if there's been any errors until you watch the film/show. !)

Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Android Tablet, Showbox and a HDMI lead to connect it to the Avtex

Load it up before we go and if we travel out of range of Astra 2, I tune into Astra 1 to get the news and we bung something on via the tablet if we are having a night in

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Forgot about Showbox. Bit wary of downloading anything from them to view content, if I recollect.

Regarding the .rec files, I believe that they will play in VLC, or you can convert them. On essence I believe they may be flash based, with the headers stripped off to prevent use outside of their own player. I could be wrong

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back