Download Movies to watch Offline (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice Please
Would like to download movies, to watch of line while traveling and no Wifi.
As I am Novice, please recommend sites for free download and advice of how to download to Window laptop and to iPad.
Many Thanks

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Advice Please
Would like to download movies, to watch of line while traveling and no Wifi.
As I am Novice, please recommend sites for free download and advice of how to download to Window laptop and to iPad.
Many Thanks
Hi and welcome

You have to be aware that downloading copyright material is illegal, and that anyone facilitating that act (or any forum posting links to them) could be construed as facilitating that offence.

Not being a killjoy, but the forum could get into serious trouble. It has not been unknown for less reputable solicitors or sneaky copyright enforcement agencies such as FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) to post up "fishing" messages to trap forums.

Best not to refer to that issue publicly. In any case I'm sure you meant accessing legally available content in any case (y)

I expect you will get some private messages that may be interesting. Check your inbox ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you are looking for legitimate sources then you can buy movies from Apple iTunes or Amazon and make them available for offline viewing.

If you have Sky at home you can use the SkyGo app to download to watch offline. You can do the same thing with Netflix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It is of course legal to download or stream films that are in the public domain, and there are a number of sites available if you do a search on google for "public domain movies download" that have free streams or download, most of these films are quite old now but there are some classics amongst them including most of Alfred Hitchcocks films. It's probably best to view these on a small screen like a tablet as the resolution of most of them are not great but a nice enough way to pass an hour or two if your stuck in the van because of inclement weather.
Try here to get an idea of what's available. https://archive.org/details/feature_films

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Hi, I have a video recorder that I use to download various TV programs at home, up to 200 hours, so loads of choice. I take this with me and plug into inverter for the power and into the TV with a scart lead. This works fine for me. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As mentioned there are several legal options.
BBC iPlayer and other TV apps let you download for free. Netflix, Amazon are pay services that have download.
If you have a PC and some of your own DVD's you can use free programme to convert the DVD to a digital file and take it with you, many TV's now have a USB connection and you can carry a single hard drive loaded with films. If you plan to use an iPad, memory space could be an issue.

So lots of choice plus the "dodgy" options.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Kodi is what I use, go into YouTube and watch a few vids. Kodi is free media player and their are addons which allow film downloads, again all explained on YouTube.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If I was to do this, I would consider using a service provider that had unlimited downloads, e.g. Virgin Media and then use a VPN service so downloads are not blocked and my lap top is seen as being elswhere. I would then transfer my downloads onto a 12 volt device that I could watch in my motor
Ho e without WiFi, for example, Amazon product ASIN

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
http://sumvision.com/?p=product&id=148

If I was to consider doing this, I might use the above box to connect to my TV in the motorhome. I would also consider using an Internet provider like Virgin Media which has unlimited downloads and then using a VPN service so my computer would be hidden and able to download movies etc from a torrent site without being detected and restricted.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You. Cannot transfer downloaded content from your phone or tablet memory. I've tried but I can cast it to a bigger screen to watch. You have 30 days to watch amazon prime downloads .
I record films on my freesat box and I can then transfer them to a hard drive. Sometimes they won't play but they do play if I then transfer them to another little box I have. Can't think of the name now but I'll let you know later.
Oh it's a cyclone 3. They play great on that.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi I bought a hard drive for £25 and loaded it with films from kodi and other sources, it has a USB cable that just connects into the avtex tv in the motorhome , brill for when normal tv is crap which is nearly every night , hard drive can hold loads of films and photos as well find it better than needing iPad

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi I bought a hard drive for £25 and loaded it with films from kodi and other sources, it has a USB cable that just connects into the avtex tv in the motorhome , brill for when normal tv is crap which is nearly every night , hard drive can hold loads of films and photos as well find it better than needing iPad
Are there any formatting compatibility issues?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
12v Humax box use at home record onto the 1 terabyte hard drive and watch in the van
PS don't buy a 12v lead from hit internet as you need 4 amps to start it and none do that.

Joe

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just buy a portable external hardrive (they are the type that don't need a mains power lead but are driven just by the USB cable that you use to connect them to a laptop) of say 1TB for maybe 50 quid or even less now.
Load all the films and series that you want onto it from your PC/home account with Virgin or whoever.
(Some naughty people apparently might do that also by using any one of the gazillions of Peer-to-Peer file-swopping internet sites, but as that is technically illegal, no one in the UK ever does that of course. Not ever M'Lud. Just like no-one ever breaks the legal speed limit)
Then just play any of them by watching them on your laptop whern you are away
We find that using VLC media player programme (it's a free download) rather than the rubbish Windows Media Player, seems to enable just about every video format to play perfectly.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Kodi is what I use, go into YouTube and watch a few vids. Kodi is free media player and their are addons which allow film downloads, again all explained on YouTube.
Kodi works pretty well, but you need to be aware that the courts have now ruled a number of the most popular addons highly illegal. One seller of "pre-loaded" Kodi boxes has been jailed for 4 years, http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...-kodi-illegal-law-12491422?service=responsive, which is understandably tending to frighten off sellers, as has the ban on such products being advertised on e.g. Amazon

The use of Kodi attracts unwelcome attention, as it relies on P2P redistribution processes, so technically any user is also automatically sharing with others, just like in the various filesharing cases. This means the user is both downloading and technically "sharing" with (or uploading to) others, which constitutes the unlawful act of communicating copyright restricted material to the public. There have been many cases where individuals have been legally hounded over the use of such P2P filesharing, and this is an excellent first read for those interested:

Of course, any such system is like a kitchen knife, it can be used to cut bread or it can be used as a murder weapon. There are excellent "Creative Commons" productions, archived material, etc. Unfortunately the broadcaster's attention has been attracted by the number of illegally streamed football matches, films and even live TV, and once people like Sky and ITV get their teeth into things, then they are very unlikely to let go.

Use of VPNs as a protective layer is quite commonplace. However, given that VPN operators are classified as ISPs, they are legally required to retain data which can identify users (although not what they are accessing)The protection afforded by VPN operators is nowhere near as "bullet proof" as many users seem to think, although a lot safer than nothing.

The whole field of copyright law is as arcane as it is boring, some exceedingly dull people make it their life's work and I'm one of them, but for those interested here is a link to the prevailing copyright law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents. Section 20 & section 296 ZB are the most immediately relevant areas

Don't blame me, I don't make the law and don't often agree with it, but I just want people to know the risks and use a bit of common sense if they are going to avoid the pitfalls.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What you say is undoubtable true pyro but as far as I am aware nobody has been done for downloading for their own use only, its sharing with others where the main risk is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back