Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Could anyone suggest how I can remove the bulbs from the eyeball downlighters in my MH. The bulbs look as if they are sidelight bulbs. I have tried twisting them and pushing and twisting, but they wont budge. There is very little bulb protruding therefore nothing much to grip onto. I have even removed the whole light fitting to no avail. I was going to take one out to see if I could get a led replacement, there are leds to fit most types of lamps these days. Any suggestions much appreciated
Gary

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They will be 12v in your MH so they are just pull out/push in so twisting them isn't going to help. If you can't get hold of the edge they can be a pig to remove. You just need to get some purchase on them somewhere and gradually ease them out.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
They should just pull out, the inner bulb and the reflector are usually a single item.

Have you checked for a metal retainer that holds in the reflector at the front?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Can you take a photo for us to see the fitting When I changed mine to LED I simply used a pair of pliers they were G4 pushfits. A bit like pulling a tooth, gentle but firm and avoiding any breakages....Good Luck!

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
There is a reflector, I havent tried taking that out, I`ll give it a go at the weekend. No glass front unfortunately. If they just push in I might be able to prise it out with a screwdriver, will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions, great bunch!

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi Guys
I have had another go at the downlighters, with little success. The reflector wont budge and I cannot get to the side of the bulb to prise it out. I have had the whole fiitting out of the hole and still cant get the bulb out. I think the only way forward is to replace the whole fitting, the existing ones are pretty ancient I would think. Does anyone know where I can buy led downlighters with an integral switch, about 70mm square. Thanks oncve again for all your advice
Gary

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are a number of different "eyeball" fittings with different types of bulb. If it is like the one pictured (this is a double, they also come as singles) then the bulb is a bayonet cap fitting as in side lights &c. Can't remember if they are single of double end connectors. We had some in our Autoquest and obtained LED replacements from Aten Lighting.
double-eyeball-spotlight-gold-500-p.jpg

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
The bulbs that are fitted are caravan bulbs and have a tapered glass bottom where they join the metal bit. You need to be brave and using a cloth push them in and twist. I don't think you would be able to replace them with LED's, I tried but LED's don't have this tapered bit and you are not able to push them in far enough to twist them into the seat.
I got some direct replacements from ebay, 12v 20w rather than renew all the downlighters.

Terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The bulbs that are fitted are caravan bulbs and have a tapered glass bottom where they join the metal bit. You need to be brave and using a cloth push them in and twist. I don't think you would be able to replace them with LED's, I tried but LED's don't have this tapered bit and you are not able to push them in far enough to twist them into the seat.
I got some direct replacements from ebay, 12v 20w rather than renew all the downlighters.

Terry
I had a problem with cheap LEDs from China which were really meant as car indicator bulbs but, as I mentioned, I did subsequently get some from Aten Lighting. See Here.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Get some plastic tube that will be a tight push fit over end of bulb & use that to push & turn. Wear safety glasses . It will also prevent anything getting in your eyes or the bulb breaking a cutting your fingers to pieces.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back