Downgrading weight & DVLA (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We purchased a private mini bus to convert to a camper for the family to use, tried to do everything legal. V5 says 3.850kg but also PLG. Rang DVLA and also VOSA for advice on downgrading to 3.500kg so younger members if the family could drive the vehicle but got conflicting advice. Vehicle conversion now completed, sent all details to DVLA with photos showing interior & exterior of vehicle, we have filled in one window with tin as fridge vent in that area, other side & rear windows we have put mirror film for privacy but have left the sliding windows as original. DVLA say interior is everything that is needed but can only give description as van with side windows on V5. This now causes a problem with insurance as we told insurers from the outset what our intention was & have sent photos in to them, so insured as a camper. If we change this to van with side windows then I don't think it should have toilet, shower, water heater, oven, etc, etc as permanent fixtures for insurance purposes.
Regarding weight DVLA originally said before they could change the V5 they needed a photo of the original weight plate on the vehicle showing the VIN number & a weighbridge certificate of the completed conversion which is 2.500kg. I sent that to them but they are now saying the weighbridge certificate should show 3.500kg I tried to explain that if the completed weighbridge certificate said 3.500kg that would leave no payload. I was politely told by the DVLA person that HE was a caravaner & fully understood payloads and DVLA changed weights on numerous vehicles daily & what I needed was a weightbridge certificate showing 3.500. So I now have to try and put exactly 1.000 kg into the vehicle & have it weighed.

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Following on from my post above can anyone give me a sensible suggestion as to how I can get an extra 1000kg ( equates to 157 stone) into what is an ex minibus but kitted out as a camper therefore has little floor space. Not sure I could fit 10 extra men in at nearly 16 stone each. Don't understand why DVLA need a gross vehicle weighbridge certificate. I am asking to downgrade so don't need brakes etc changed just 3500 on V5 instead of 3850.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think you should ring the DVLA and speak to someone else ,as he is wrong.I would give SvTech a call and get advise off them .i used them to upgrade from 3500 to 3850 just a paper exercise .Not same problem as yours but they will advise you or do the paperwork for you they do charge but also may save you the grief .there tel number is 01772 621800 Gareth or Steve ,.Good luck .LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the simplest way to load 1000kg is with 25ltr water containers piled up through the van. or a rugby team sat inside

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Vehicle conversion now completed, sent all details to DVLA with photos showing interior & exterior of vehicle, we have filled in one window with tin as fridge vent in that area, other side & rear windows we have put mirror film for privacy but have left the sliding windows as original. DVLA say interior is everything that is needed but can only give description as van with side windows

On my PVC DVLA said the same thing as I had glass all around the van so I covered up some of the glass with vinyl wrap the same colour as the van and they accepted this and I am now a motor caravan
IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
@taffybloke we have blanked some windows out with mirror film but that wasn't accepted, then we suggested taking out the fixed windows but leaving the sliding for ventilation - no still would look like a mini bus. I then said there is nowhere in the rules to say how many windows a camper must or must not have and most panel van that are converted, even some of the ones for £50,000 etc have more than two side windows. Answer I cannot comment on that. Obviously I don't want to upset them but we are beginning to regret starting this. It was only so the younger members of the family could experience the Aires etc in France. We already have our own van as we bought a new Citreon Relay in 2012 & did our own conversion, had no problems with DVLA over that but we did fit the Seitz windows. If we accept van with side windows not sure if our insurance is legal - if we insure as a camper & V5 says van with side windows then we are in the wrong. If we insure as van with side windows then surely it is not suppose to have permanent fixtures like fridge, cooker, toilet, gas fitting, water tanks etc. Still trying to work out how we can fit another 1000kg in before we go back to the weighbridge, did need a ton of gravel last week but that's all laid now & not going to rake it up. Gone are the days when you could speak to someone face to face & have a reasonable outcome. We are trying to be legal but getting nowhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never believe ANYTHING you are told by DVSA.
Alway ring back and speak to someone else or ask for a supervisor.
When they had local offices I talked a funster through the process of uprating.
At the office he was told No, you can't do that.
He returned next day, spoke to a different desk jockey and walked out 1/2hr later all updated and just waiting for the new V5.

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
The problem is they now record all calls so possibly read back what the other person has said & just go by that. Going on holiday over Easter so may just leave it and have a rethink. May be a very cheap van with side windows up for sale shortly.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As above post said
A call to SV will at least give you some real answers from a real person who has plenty of experience with weight changes.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@taffybloke Obviously I don't want to upset them but we are beginning to regret starting this. . Still trying to work out how we can fit another 1000kg in before we go back to the weighbridge, did need a ton of gravel last week but that's all laid now & not going to rake it up. Gone are the days when you could speak to someone face to face & have a reasonable outcome. We are trying to be legal but getting nowhere.

Do not worry about upsetting them , They are there for your benefit & most are just reciting from a paper. Any input they have to pass on. Never believe anything they state.
As has been said take no notice of trying to add 1000kgs to the weight as the person is talking utter s***e

The problem is they now record all calls so possibly read back what the other person has said & just go by that. Going on holiday over Easter so may just leave it and have a rethink. May be a very cheap van with side windows up for sale shortly.

That's what they tell you. Hopefully they do . Tell them you are recording your side & see what they say. Explain to them what a complete shower of ***** they are & ask for a supervisor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back