Down Under (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone hired a motorhome in New Zealand or Australia? We're doing a month in each early next year and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done either or both. Nothing booked yet.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes, to Australia , it's not cheap.
We used http://www.britz.com/. They may be different now , but I wouldn't recommend them. We went about 8 years ago.
We had to pay extra for outside chairs , extra cushions bedding , table etc. The first one we were given , we refused, really old tatty and grubby.
The only other available in our budget wasn't ideal , but after such a long flight.......
It was cleaner when we gave it back let's put it that way. A trip to the local store bleach for the drains etc.......
It was September and October when we went . The heater got used every night. It was very cold. We even had frost on a morning and it wasn't winterised, didn't have a silver screen. Lovely and warm through the day. Campsites were great. We didn't wild camp. But stayed all over the south of Australia .
Petrol used to be cheaper on a Wednesday for some reason. We found food a lot more expensive too. Campsite prices weren't that bad. Plus there are loads of gas bbqs all over the place. For anyone to use in parks and at local attractions.

We had a great time though. It did the job. Made us realise that although we'd been granted a permanent residency visa , we wouldn't be emigrating.
Then when we came back home , we sold our year old caravan and bought our first and present Motorhome.

We'd love to go to Canada . It's on our wish list.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
New Zealand is very expensive as well. We go every year to visit one of our sons who lives there and prefer to hire a car and use guesthouses, motels and hotels which we find works out far cheaper. Most places have cooking facilities so you can self cater if you want. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We have travelled both New Zealand and Oz . We bought a car in NZ and as davidbaldam above we used a variety of hostels/motels/etc , we arranged a guaranteed by back price with the selling garage but in the end sold it privately net cost was 50 nz$. We also hired a bike rack and bought 2 Marin cycles and assessories which we loved so shipped them home by sea container and they are currently on the back of our motorhome in Spain.
In Oz we bought a small camper and i mean small as you spend so much time outside it . We bought all our equipment at op shops(2nd hand)and then either dumped it or passed it on when we sold the camper net cost 200 au$
Yes we dont mind roughing it a bit and every now and again checked in more upmarket ,we were in our 50,s at the time . There is a company called Travellers Autobahn who hire and sell campers with guaranteed buybacks have a look on there website

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to all . Some food for thought. Hiring is about £3000 for the month in NZ for something small, so need to check out other options.

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
We rented a motorhome in NZ about three years ago from "Apollo" who were based quite close to Auckland airport. We had booked a 4 birth but on arrival were given a six at no extra cost. It wasn't cheap but hiring a motorhome worldwide is always an expensive thing to do. We also booked a ferry crossing from North to South Island return which drew our breath at the cost but was well worth it, can't recall the exact cost but compared to a UK to France crossing was a great deal more. Camp sites were great and no need to book ahead (March), fuel was a reasonable price and the natives very friendly. Would recommend it as a way of seeing both islands.

Attachments

• Apollo NZ.jpg
    Apollo NZ.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that. Think I've heard that the ferry crossing is expensive. One idea is to do just the south island with a mh then hire a car and do B&B in the north. Need to do the sums. Buying and selling in both NZ and Oz sound cheapest options but don't know if we'll have time, with just 4 weeks in each country.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
try "Wicked Campers" in aus we had one for 3 months cost about 2 grand very basic but spent most of the time outside . make sure you have a fridge or at least a plug in eski . (y) STAN

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Agree with all the above. Very expensive. We did a car and B&B and stayed with a few friends. Nz is beautifull but a bit laid back in its nightlife. Oz is awesome!!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Buying and selling will be your cheapest option but arranging will be your problem with time restraints of one month , you could try and arrange online .
We also hired a Wicked van in Brisbane for 3 months but as said previously they are very basic usually graphic/graffiti painted all over the outside ours was covered in boobs and bums and i used to hide with the van out of sight while the wife checked in . They all have a different motto written in big letters on the back ours was
I DONT COOK
I DONT CLEAN
I DONT PUT ICKY THINGS NEAR MY MOUTH
typical Aussie humour my favourite was(not pc)but funny
KILL A JAP
SAVE A WHALE

One thing you should be aware of is how early it gets dark in Oz around 7pm so if your on a campsite it is very early to bed and early to rise.
Have a look at BBH hostels in NZ they have a good reputation we always got a private double with communial .cooking facilities and you meet so many other travellers

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
I live in Adelaide (Oz), so can't offer any personal experience re hiring campers, but I would not touch a Wicked, for a variety of reasons.
I suggest that buying and selling would not be a proposition for such a short visit.

Where and when do you intend to travel in Oz?
A month is a very short time, so you will need to be very selective. Many visitors from Europe tend to try to see too much and spend all their time driving.
Also, the time of year you will be travelling should be a major consideration in terms of what areas you visit.

Happy to help where I can....

Cheers,
Peter

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We had 6 weeks in the South Island - hiring motorhomes - United/Apollo campers and using Baches (holiday homes)
Wasn't too expensive - I think the advice about not trying to see too much is valid - I would say for us that a month is not nearly long enough just to travel one of the islands - New Zealand is just great for campervans and just a great place to be - Australia was hot beyond belief!
Enjoy your time there

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would recommend (if you have the time) buying a new motorhome here in UK and transporting it to NZ. You claim the vat back straight away and it can be landed ready to go for when you get there. There are a lot of companies that will do this for you and NZ make it easy to import vehicles as we don't have any manufacturing industries that get upset at imports, unlike Aussie. Then you have your holiday and sell it when you leave. Check out prices on www.trademe.co.nz for costs. I would suggest just doing South Island if you only have a month. Happy to help in any other way if you visit while we are there. We will be there from oct this year and come back to UK in May. When we go back to NZ for keeps we will be taking a MH and selling it in NZ. Colin

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the info. We've decided to book a mh for the south island of NZ and car plus B&B in the north. We also have friends we can stay with there. Got to be a mh in OZ though! Our plan is one month NZ, fly to Brisbane, 1 month motorhome driving as far as Adelaide, fly to Perth for one month with our daughter. Coming together slowly......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back