Down to earth with a bump. (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not sure where to post this ...

Had a lovely first continental trip .... sincere thanks for the invaluable advice that we picked up on MH fun threads since we joined last year. We overnighted at Rookesbury Park sailed Portsmouth / Bilbao had 2 nights at San Sebastian, then 4 wonderful nights at Beynac, Camping Le Capeyrou ... great site in the Dordogne, not long enough! kayaked the river twice, cycled to Sarlet and swim in the lovely swimming pool, then moved to Panourama Du Pyla at Arcachon for 5 nights cycled, swam, visited Cap Ferret then one night on the dock side at Bilbao. Had the awning out practically all the time and cooked wonderful meals on the Cobb. No major MH size issues but did see a camper washing out his toilet with the drinking water hose.:Angry::Eeek:

Thanks to the people who suggested a shorter trip milage wise you were right ....... Wouldn't have been anywhere nicer if we had driven further. Only paid about £50 in essential tolls, driving pretty relaxed. Met some lovely people on our trip of all nationalities, very impressed with the France that we saw and we were starting plans for our intended Scandinavia trip in August.

Got home Wednesday, child minded youngest grandson Thursday then and went to see 2 other grandkids Thurs evening, noticed 5 year old Jess's gums very pale hadn't seen her for a month because they had been on holiday and come back with a tummy bug which we hadn't wanted to catch just before we set off, so we had just facetimed. I said that she looked anaemic and that she didn't look at all well, she had been on antibiotics for 2 weeks already. Mum took her to the Doctors again friday, who referred her straight to the Hospital. Within a few hours she was diagnosed with Leukaemia, yesterday she was transferred to Leeds and Chemotherapy starts this week...we are absolutely distraught.

Please please please everyone look very closely at the people who you love and if any alarm bells ring get them checked out ASAP this type of situation has happened to us twice now ....my son having type 1 diabetes at 15 and practically being in a coma before enough alarm bells rang for us to take him to A and E at 2am and say we think he is diabetic. We had taken him to the doctors earlier that day and been given forms to take to the Path lab for routine blood tests just hours before but he was running out of time fast. He was seen by the triage nurse and all hell broke loose when she took his blood pressure and sugar. Son is now 23 insulin dependant but very stable and fine.

It is so easy not to really notice changes under your nose until serious situations take a hold, with both son and granddaughter we should have twigged sooner ..... Weight loss, appetite loss, pale complexion, fatigue, hating school, severe thirst for diabetes, bruising and general malaise for the leukemia.

We are just devastated and can't bear the thought of loosing her.
Please could anyone who has any faith say a prayer for her she is so precious. She has a brother who is 7 and his life will be affected terribly by this too. She has already had blood transfusions and they are talking about bone marrow too so if you don't already do this please give it serious consideration.

All plans shelved and totally unimportant for the moment ....... Please Look twice at the ones you love.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
So sorry to hear this, can understand you must be all traumatised, childhood Leukaemia is treatable and they have no further problems, look at Gary Linikers first son, who had it when very young.

Thinking of you.
Best wishes to all.
Margaret

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Sorry to hear about your grandaughter, keep thinking positively. My daughter is a registered donor with the Anthony Nolan trust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Jan

Delighted with the start of the thread, devastated with the end bit

Don't really do religion but will think of you all

Take care, hopefully things will get better quickly now they know what's wrong

David and Bev x

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I am very sorry to hear that your granddaughter is so poorly it sounds like your family are going to need all of your love & support.

We nearly lost our daughter when she was 13 months old due to an undiagnosed heart defect so I can sympathise with your situation.

I'm sending all my best wishes your way

Helen

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We will be as positive as possible, for the first time in my life I am too scared to google things, we are just concentrating on making her and her brothers days as fun filled and with as little trauma as we can. Just crumbling when we get home, this is our worst fear.

I know that there will never have been a better time advancement wise and will just put my hope and trust in that and do our best.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am really sorry.

I too was enjoying your thread until the sad bit.

Good luck to everyone.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hold on to the thought that childhood leukaemia is one of the more curable conditions these days. Not 100 percent guaranteed but the odds are definitely in her favour.

Wishing her a speedy and complete recovery.

Tim

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
So sorry to hear about your grandaughter but try to take comfort from the very positive posts re recovery. Know how we would feel. Sending very best wishes.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We are so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how painful this is for the family. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Mags

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So sorry to hear about your little granddaughter, we wish you strength to get through the next few weeks and positive thoughts for a good recovery.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Saying a prayer for your precious granddaughter Jess and will keep her in my prayers. You are all in my thoughts and hope you can keep strong for her. Love to you all. BB

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm so sad to hear your news.

My friend's son, aged just 5, was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia the same month as Gary Lineker's son. He was poorly, there were bad days BUT he made a full recovery after a bone marrow transplant. He's now an adult, fit and healthy.
That was over 20 years ago. The treatments have improved even more since then.

http://www.clicsargent.org.uk Clic Sergeant is a brilliant organisation which will offer a lot of support to your family. They were a tremendous source of support to my friend during the difficult times.

Thinking of you and your family tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sincere thanks for all your wishes, prayers and expressions of hope i really think they all count. We are in the hands of a team of truly wonderful people who give their best on a daily basis so we will try and do the same.

Here she is at Eyemouth With her brother I think we visited all the lifeboats from Amble to St Abbs that weekend and a very kind chap let them sit in the lifeboat there with the helmets on.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
you have done everything for your family and can do no more but being supportive, wishing your granddaughter a good recovery and family happier times ahead.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So sorry to read this. Things like this put everything in perspective. I am sure she will make a full recovery and soon be back on tack.

Sandra

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I too am really sorry to read your terrible news. :Sad:

I too was enjoying your thread until the sad part about your little grandaughter.

She looks a very frail little girl in the photograph but quite healthy.

I am truly sorry you've been given this diagnosis but as others say treatment and recovery have taken giant steps forward in the last few years.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
My thoughts are with you and yours.
Please stay positive and look to the future.
It is devastating to feel helpless in the face of childhood illness. She will need all the love Grandparents can bring.
I am sure that she will receive that.
Best wishes.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I am so sorry that Jess's so poorly.

Well done you for spotting it and I'm sure with the expert care she will be receiving, she'll bounce back.

{{HUGS}} to you all.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good news today in that she has ALL Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia this is the most common type and success rates are around 90%, her treatment will be over 2 years and after an initial few weeks in hospital she should be able to come home. They start chemo tomorrow and we just hope that she responds well and that the other test results are positive.
She has had a truly awful day with continual procedures and blood sampling which of course she cant really understand but at least we are on the road with it all now.

Thanks once again for all your kind wishes.

Keep enjoying yourselves while ever you can.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Children are extremely resilient Granjan and she has an extremely good chance in making a full recovery and she has a family that love and care for her very much.

sending you all big hugs xxxxx

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hopefully thats your prayers answered and that the recovery will be a total success.

Im a registered donor via Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust, and I would urge any and everyone to do the same, you never know you may save a young life!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm too old now, even when I was younger I still couldn't because of my diabetes.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Good luck to your little grand daughter and to all of you. Truly ghastly for you all, have been on the Anthony Nolan register since the 70s but unfortunately have not been needed. It will be an ordeal for you all but thank goodness for your loving family.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good luck to your little grand daughter and to all of you. Truly ghastly for you all, have been on the Anthony Nolan register since the 70s but unfortunately have not been needed. It will be an ordeal for you all but thank goodness for your loving family.

I could be wrong but chances are you're not on it any more. When I tried to join in my 40's I was told I was too old.

Tim

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So sorry to hear of your Grand daughters illness, I hope all goes ok for her.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
So sorry to read of the devastating news of your beautiful granddaughter. We to send our prayers & best wishes to you & the family. Try to keep positive thoughts.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Timdownieuk, you are right that there is an age limit for newbies but they keep you on the list indefinitely, I joined in my teens. Obviously the older you are the more likely you are to be excluded due to health problems come the crunch but I would willingly let them test me.Actually just checked and they keep you til 60 so a few years yet.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Hoping for a speedy recovery for Jess xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun