Motorhome Downsizing (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
After 4 years with our Swift sundance 630g (maybe on sale soon )we are thinking of down sizeing to a pvc and will be going to the NEC at end of Feb. We have looked at the Swift Select122 looks good value ,Auto Sleepers Wawrick duo and the AutoTrail v line 610 maybe with sports pack both look nicer vansbut more money but you pay for what you get .We want to stay under 6 mts if poss with a rear lounge and wondered if any members could recommend any other pvc to look at when at the show.Thanks for any help

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Checkout Globecar, a renowned German PVC converter, and Rapido, a French converter. Both brands have a good reputation and lots of innovation.

There are dozens of other continental converters too - Hymer, Knaus, Hobby and Adria to name four.

Another British one is Tribute.

One thing I suggest you watch out for is well designed storage space for bulky items like outdoor tables, chairs/loungers and ramps etc. I find some of the British designs can be a tad lacking in that department.

Also watch the weight limit - some PVCs are only rated at 3,300kg, but if possible probably better to go for 3,500kg (or more, depending on your licence).

We've certainly had no regrets about downsizing from a coachbuilt to a van conversion.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
IH are a nicely designed pvc. We modelled our Pug on their rear lounge . They were solidly built when we looked at them around 3 years ago. Compared to some other models.
If you use it all year round check out the insulation. We found lots of PVC lacking in that department. So made sure we had more than double that was provided off peg.
We underslung water waste and gas under the van . That way there is nothing taking up valuable cupboard space too. Infact we have more storage and work surface than our previous 6/7 birth MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
All the ones mentioned so far were in our shortlist when we bought a PVC nearly four years ago (Tribute, IH, Globecar) + a few more. Then we narrowed it down to Globecar and Wildax. We ended up buying a Wildax Europa and love it. That has a rear-lounge layout, but is a little over 6m at 6.128m. Might be worth checking out that one and other Wildax models too.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought the Swift Select 144 in December last year. So far, delighted with it, no serious problems uncovered.

OP
OP
Adrian1
Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Thank you for the info, as we all know layout is key were going to have one day at nec maybe now two then decide what to do

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thank you for the info, as we all know layout is key were going to have one day at nec maybe now two then decide what to do

Plus check the payload, IIRC the swifts are on the lightweight chassis so cant be up-plated.
Many don't have a spare tyre as they need the extra payload that would be taken up by one!

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Downsized to the Warwick xl 6 months ago now and don't think we would go back. The set up and layout are superb and is well spec'd. Everything works well, onboard refillable gas tank a bonus and very well insulated for winter use. Can only recommend so far and also drives great.(y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Some nice PVC’s out there but I don’t understand why they don’t consider the XXLWB Sprinter as the base vehicle ? Would be my choice

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you are finished with coach-builts, this will not be any use, but while at NEC go on the Autosleepers stand and see the Nuevo, or the Stanton.

We recently downsized to a Stanton and believe me it is like a Tardis. it is sub 6 Metres and there is a luton cab option at no extra cost. We have more room in it than our Swift Escape that came in at 7.25M

We uprated ours to 3500Kg (dealer did it as part of the deal) giving a payload over 600Kg

Good luck

Dennis

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Recently downsize from Bailey Autograph Approach 765 , to ih N class 630 RL , and as every body says it all seems to go in somewhere, so much nicer to drive

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have an 'A' Class and thankfully have just renewed my C1 licence for 3 years, but I am always worried when renewal comes.

I know how long it takes to research and find a MH so I keep my eye on the under 3500kg offerings.

It seems that to get a good quality 'A' Class at that weight and some payload is almost impossible, and not much better with 'C' Class.

So for the future I am looking at PVCs in general, so may I ask a few questions of those who have PVCs?

We mostly wildcamp or Aires/Stellplatz, so how do you find PVCs for that sort of touring, in respect of water, gas, spare cassette etc.?

Could somebody with good knowledge of the market point to fixed bed models with a minumum of 1.85m long bed.

This is a naive Q as PVCs are unknown to me - most vans have some sort of contour to the original sides and even roof, so when the converters install vertical furniture do they pack the voids with insulation, and are there vary grades/performance for insulating?

What base vehicles have adequate underfloor space for a 80-100lt LPG tank? To save on storage for cylinders.

Maybe enough qestions for starters - I may be back.

Geoff

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have an 'A' Class and thankfully have just renewed my C1 licence for 3 years, but I am always worried when renewal comes.

I know how long it takes to research and find a MH so I keep my eye on the under 3500kg offerings.

It seems that to get a good quality 'A' Class at that weight and some payload is almost impossible, and not much better with 'C' Class.

So for the future I am looking at PVCs in general, so may I ask a few questions of those who have PVCs?

We mostly wildcamp or Aires/Stellplatz, so how do you find PVCs for that sort of touring, in respect of water, gas, spare cassette etc.?

Could somebody with good knowledge of the market point to fixed bed models with a minumum of 1.85m long bed.

This is a naive Q as PVCs are unknown to me - most vans have some sort of contour to the original sides and even roof, so when the converters install vertical furniture do they pack the voids with insulation, and are there vary grades/performance for insulating?

What base vehicles have adequate underfloor space for a 80-100lt LPG tank? To save on storage for cylinders.

Maybe enough qestions for starters - I may be back.

Geoff

One of my PVC requirements was a diesel Truma. One small gas bottle, only for cooking, should last all year. Saves storage space and payload. Maybe not best for wild camping but as long as you keep the hab batteries charged it will be OK.

Fixed bed is 1920 mm long which is the max for a transverse bed in the widest bit of the Ducato steel body. Bed width varies according to the rest of the layout. Can be longer if you go for the twin singles layout. Merc Sprinters / VW Crafters have a narrower body than the Ducato. Some Merc/VW converters add a side pod to house the end of the transverse bed but that is a bit ugly IMO.

We have 110 litres fresh inboard and 100 litres waste water tanks. There is a restriction because you should only drive with fresh tank half full. Don't ask me why.

The insulation in our Rapido Van seems very effective and I haven't yet noticed cold spots or draughts. No idea what the grade is.

The PVC downside is the side door which needs a firm slam - that's noisy. Some converters offer an electric soft close.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Our van has a big enough water tank. We had an underslung gas tank fitted but still have a connection in the old gas locker for a 13kg bottle.
You won't fit a big underslung gas tank under a pvc
Ours is 30ltrs. We have Rom for our spare cassette and lots of storage.
Ourrear bed us big enough for your requirements. Plus our model of pvc has a fridge big enough for extended use.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Why not choose your van, design your own layout and go to a converter ?
We've recently had some internal mods to our Bailey done by our local guys, Young Conversions, and the stuff they are doing in their workshops makes me wonder why I bought a ready made in the first place.
:)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why not choose your van, design your own layout and go to a converter ?
We've recently had some internal mods to our Bailey done by our local guys, Young Conversions, and the stuff they are doing in their workshops makes me wonder why I bought a ready made in the first place.
:)
Because when I worked out the cost of the parts new and the residual value against a professional conversion it would have cost more to self build.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Because when I worked out the cost of the parts new and the residual value against a professional conversion it would have cost more to self build.
The impression I got from the OP was that they are looking for new at the show but compromising maybe on spec and were asking for recommendations.
Mine was just another... :)

OP
OP
Adrian1
Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for all the help we will now have two days looking around see what deals we can get and maybe sell motorhome ourselves in march and collect new van later in year if we find one as just found out wife has to have a knee op so may not be able to go away till later this so maybe no rush

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Our van has a big enough water tank. We had an underslung gas tank fitted but still have a connection in the old gas locker for a 13kg bottle.
You won't fit a big underslung gas tank under a pvc
Define 'big' - mine is 25 litres under a WildAx Constellation PVC. Big enough for me!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's exactly what we do, no problem with water as we have a 100L tank and carry a spare toilet cassette however we've never had to actually use it yet although we've come close! As for gas (2 x 11kg refillables), in the past we only had 1 x 11kg refillable (about 21 litres) as that's all the locker would take and managed fine with that.
Those with a transverse bed on the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base should fit your requirement, some of the longitudinal ones may be longer.
They taper the units to match the contours so very little space is wasted and they insulate all the walls/cavities as you would expect although some do it better than others.
No PVC will give you that, the max is about 35 litres depending on what else is underneath - I suppose you may be able to fit 2 tanks but that would be very expensive! You'd be better off as Jez has done with the largest tank underneath that you can get and a link to the existing gas locker so you can add a refillable cylinder (or a non-refillable) as a back-up one for the occasions when you may need use it. If you go for diesel heating it will reduce your gas usage BUT you'd then really need a better battery bank to ensure you had enough power to run it so one way or another you will be losing storage space for either the extra gas cylinder or battery.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We bought the Swift Select 144 in December last year. So far, delighted with it, no serious problems uncovered.
Should think not,,its nearly new,,,BUSBY:):)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Should think not,,its nearly new,,,BUSBY:):)
Unfortunately, that’s not always the case with new vehicles.:(

Too many members on here have tales of woe about vehicles with inherent faults on delivery that take months to have rectified. Hence my delight, (relief?), to find ours OK(y):)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
See Minxys reply above
It's big enough for me, and a lot easier to deal with than hauling 11 litre gas containers in and out of the van with associated storage requirements!! Would not go back to that system!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Unfortunately, that’s not always the case with new vehicles.:(

Too many members on here have tales of woe about vehicles with inherent faults on delivery that take months to have rectified. Hence my delight, (relief?), to find ours OK(y):)

i know its not always the case but it should be,,,,I don't know how the motorhome and caravan industry get away with passing the buck between dealers and manufacturers,,,Law states the buck stops with the dealer,,,,somehow they squirm out of it..BUSBY,,

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
i know its not always the case but it should be,,,,I don't know how the motorhome and caravan industry get away with passing the buck between dealers and manufacturers,,,Law states the buck stops with the dealer,,,,somehow they squirm out of it..BUSBY,,
Agree totally.

Perhaps the exchange of information on here can put pressure on bad manufacturers and dealers by publicising poor customer service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back