Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We upped the weight on our van a few years ago. We really didn’t need to and now want to go back to the original weight/payload
Anyone else done this?
Is it an easy process? Thanks in advance

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I dont think you even need the certificate this time (someone may have more knowledge on this.

My question would be, why do you want to pay more tax and lose the capability of carrying more if you are dropping to 3500 ? (unless you are selling it or allowing someone without C1 to drive it)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I dont think you even need the certificate this time (someone may have more knowledge on this.

My question would be, why do you want to pay more tax and lose the capability of carrying more if you are dropping to 3500 ? (unless you are selling it or allowing someone without C1 to drive it)
and if selling is the reason wait until you have a buyer as they may want the higher weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just keep it the same and don’t load as much in it. (y)

Reactions: f6c
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We upped the weight on our van a few years ago. We really didn’t need to and now want to go back to the original weight/payload
Anyone else done this?
Tried to do this myself last year turned into a nightmare DVLA claimed paperwork lost, in the end I bit the bullet and went to SV Tech, a breeze and all went well. If your doing it either yourself or using SV you will need a weighbridge certificate so unload everything you can before weighing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can I ask if the speed limit is the same for either weight
The speed limit in the UK is based on unladen weight which has to be no more than 3050kg however it is extremely difficult in reality to check what this is for a MH so unless you have one that is a big one and obviously has a heavy unladen weight then most are able to travel at the same speeds as cars.

Abroad however they usually base the speed limits on your MAM (on your V5C) and once over 3500kg you have lower speed limits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone else done this?
No reason why you can't do it yourself as you don't need an engineer's report as it was originally at the lower weight legally (assuming you haven't added anything massively heavy to it which is permanently attached!).

AFAIK you just complete section 1 on page 2 of your V5C 'Change my vehicle details' to the new revenue weight. It will of course cost you more so it would be better if you SORNed it and then sent a cheque for the new revenue amount.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
No reason why you can't do it yourself as you don't need an engineer's report as it was originally at the lower weight legally (assuming you haven't added anything massively heavy to it which is permanently attached!).

AFAIK you just complete section 1 on page 2 of your V5C 'Change my vehicle details' to the new revenue weight. It will of course cost you more so it would be better if you SORNed it and then sent a cheque for the new revenue amount.
Oh if it was only that simple Mel

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Tried to do this myself last year turned into a nightmare DVLA claimed paperwork lost, in the end I bit the bullet and went to SV Tech, a breeze and all went well. If your doing it either yourself or using SV you will need a weighbridge certificate so unload everything you can before weighing.
Did you drop the weight?

We are doing it because we really do not need the extra payload and it’s easier to get breakdown cover abroad at the lower we

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Anyone else done this?
I have dug out my info re downplating.
As said you will need to submit a weighbridge certificate with your application.
On your V5 section 7 enter the new revenue weight and date of change. At the bottom of section 7 enter new tax class ie PLG then obviously date and sign section 8
This must also be supported with the tax exchange form V70
On completion you must also send in payment for new rate of taxation either 6 or 12 months do not cancel any direct debit you may have set up to pay existing tax band until notified by the DVLA

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Did you drop the weight?

We are doing it because we really do not need the extra payload and it’s easier to get breakdown cover abroad at the lower we
Yes Sue it was to drop the weight.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
The speed limit in the UK is based on unladen weight which has to be no more than 3050kg however it is extremely difficult in reality to check what this is for a MH so unless you have one that is a big one and obviously has a heavy unladen weight then most are able to travel at the same speeds as cars.

Abroad however they usually base the speed limits on your MAM (on your V5C) and once over 3500kg you have lower speed limits.
lower speed limits abroad might be a good reason to run at 3.5t, as might the ability to venture into small, weight restricted towns and villages.
our van came on the light chassis, but had already been upplated to 3650, then 3850.....hoever, i wanted to run it at 3.5t for the above reasons.

Reactions: Sue
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
If as in my case when I tried to do it myself get anything wrong and DVLA will just send you a new V5 at the current weight without an explanation they are apparently not obliged to do so. That’s what I ended up doing and on phoning them they claimed paperwork had been lost(more likely destroyed)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh if it was only that simple Mel
It should be so long as they don't lose the V5C but even if SVTech did it for you, you'd still have to send it to them yourself.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Did you drop the weight?

Don't forget though that it will cost you at least £100 more for your annual UK road tax so you need to take that into account. We haven't had a problem getting recovery for our MHs/campers over 3500kg in weight and haven't had to pay more for it either.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It should be so long as they don't lose the V5C but even if SVTech did it for you, you'd still have to send it to them yourself.
No SV Tech send you a new self adhesive weight plate displaying the downplated (new) weight, a certificate they have completed confirming the new revenue weight a V70 form and full idiot proof instructions for completing everything before submitting it all to the DVLA SV tech do not require your V5

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Don't forget though that it will cost you at least £100 more for your annual UK road tax so you need to take that into account. We haven't had a problem getting recovery for our MHs/campers over 3500kg in weight and haven't had to pay more for it either.
Who do you use for European cover?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan

Interesting!

So those unfortunates who have a MH registered between (was it) sept 19 and 12/13th March 2020 who have VED as a car and only the MIRO is quoted at (normally) :h:500 can expect not to get caught by mobile speed cameras as your MAM isn't stated?

Anyone any ideas or opinions or BETTER still Knowledge

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
No SV Tech send you a new self adhesive weight plate displaying the downplated (new) weight, a certificate they have completed confirming the new revenue weight a V70 form and full idiot proof instructions for completing everything before submitting it all to the DVLA SV tech do not require your V5
I would prefer to peel off the one that was given to meto show 4100 when it was 3500 kgs. !!! And not pay them any money

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was talking about sending the V5C to the DVLA yourself, not to SVTech, so DVLA could still lose it regardless! :doh:

As for the sticky label, I made my own or you can easily buy them off Ebay or a funster who was producing them for people a while back.

But then again some of us don't need the 'idiot proof' stuff ... :whistle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I was talking about sending the V5C to the DVLA yourself, not to SVTech, so DVLA could still lose it regardless! :doh:

As for the sticky label, I made my own or you can easily buy them off Ebay or a funster who was producing them for people a while back.

But then again some of us don't need the 'idiot proof' stuff ... :whistle:

Just a suggestion.
When you send the V5 To the Bottomless Void that is Swansea, send them a copy of the V5 as well.
Tell them that you have kept a copy as well, 'Just in case you manage to lose it!"

It might make them concentrate on avoiding the WPB.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Who do you use for European cover?
At the moment we don't need to as we have it with our motorhome but we've had it with Safeguard (part of the insurance) and as a stand alone with other companies too, unfortunately I haven't got info on the previous ones as I got shot of a load of filing a while back but think one might have been Britannia Rescue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a suggestion.
When you send the V5 To the Bottomless Void that is Swansea, send them a copy of the V5 as well.
Tell them that you have kept a copy as well, 'Just in case you manage to lose it!"

It might make them concentrate on avoiding the WPB.
I've sent a V5C to there several times and they've never lost one yet ... perhaps they're too 'scared' of me to lose it! :LOL:

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Just a suggestion.
I have had fun with swansea myself.
I scan all correspondence with them and send a copy of all previous correspondence when sending info. I also send a copy of the V5C with the changes circled, and in my case what was wrong. I also have a copy of the original before upplating specificaly for any future downplating.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I'm with Stewart J on this. I lost C1 entitlement last year so needed to drop back to 3,500kg. First attempt returned as no cheque enclosed. It had been banked by DVLA. I then had a choice of waiting to be refunded or pay again and hope for refund. Sent new cheque but weighbridge certificate not valid, no idea why. Gave in spoke to SV Tech, can't rember what the procedure was but using same weighbridge certificate plus whatever came from SVT went through straight away. Refund came after 6 weeks.
On the plus side I have had quite a lot of dealings with DVLA regarding my licence and medical issues over last 10 years and they been spot on without exception so they can get it right.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also make sure you tell the DVLA in words of one syllable that you want the MAM changing as well as the Revenue weight. They are famous for changing the Revenue weight but not updating the MAM.
Uprated our last van it took them over 4 months to get it right.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Daft Question.
Can you drive an upplated MH with a non C1 licence as long as it it is not actually weighing >3500kg?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back