LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just been through Dover and they have started major roadworks on the A20 right through Dover. The road is reduced to one lane in both directions and the signs say the works will be taking place for 52 weeks!

Allow extra time to get to the ferry port or approach the port from the M2/A2

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Just been through Dover and they have started major roadworks on the A20 right through Dover. The road is reduced to one lane in both directions and the signs say the works will be taking place for 52 weeks!

Allow extra time to get to the ferry port or approach the port from the M2/A2
Some people will go to any lenght to stop the immigrants

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it only the A20 , which starts from the actual roundabout that you exit from & goes towards Folkestone , or does it include the 'Jubilee way' which is the link from A2 ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes but we have to go through Dover to get to the tunnel o_O
That's unfortunate isn't it :). Makes you wonder what happens when " stack " operates ?
Unless of course they are now going to be using Manston & creating a bottleneck over your way ? :(

If so I can see it being an utter disaster anytime it is on.
Still ,look on the bright side, you won't be caught by the "operation Stack " 40mph dual carriagway speed camera ! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Unless of course they are now going to be using Manston & creating a bottleneck over your way ? :(
They set Manston up with temporary floodlighting and portaloos, but too late. It never got used as the major stack problems subsided. But we went past the other day and everything as gone!

Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Thanks for the warning. We land in Dover about 10.00 on Wednesday so will have to decide if we head for the M25 via the A2 route or face the delay and use the M20 / M26 route. How far do the roadworks stretch, do you know?

J

Edited to delete wrong quote

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The roadworks are between the roundabouts at either end of the marina, so end before you start to climb the hill out of Dover towards Folkestone.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The road works are all about the new western Docks development that is being done by the Harbour Board. The whole length fro the York Street roundabout to Archcliffe is one lane and the rest dug up. Keep off it if possible and go down the old A20 into Dover town and go around to York Street to avoid the lorry queues, I will have to use a pushbike to avoid the lorries if I need Snargate Street to go to the chandlers. A2 down Jubilee way is free at the moment but the trucks know about the holdups so it will not take long for the drums to pass the message.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
be careful in the road works. I had my picture taken a few weeks go and an invite to go and see some guys about speed awareness. Ever such a nice thought but I was perfectly aware of my speed, it's the fix camera I wasn't aware of. 11;45 at night, 47 in the 40...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's unfortunate isn't it :). Makes you wonder what happens when " stack " operates ?

If so I can see it being an utter disaster anytime it is on.
Thanks for the warning. We land in Dover about 10.00 on Wednesday so will have to decide if we head for the M25 via the A2 route or face the delay and use the M20 / M26 route. How far do the roadworks stretch, do you know?

J

Edited to delete wrong quote
Just as quick up the A2,,,BUSBY.
Still ,look on the bright side, you won't be caught by the "operation Stack " 40mph dual carriagway speed camera ! :LOL:

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Apparently there are huge delays at Dover port due to increased security. Daughter just received photo from a friend and it looks horrendous :eek:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
7 Miles long tailback reported on the A20 from Dover to Folkestone owing to the heavy traffic and the ludicrous limits and operation Stack

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
be careful in the road works. I had my picture taken a few weeks go and an invite to go and see some guys about speed awareness. Ever such a nice thought but I was perfectly aware of my speed, it's the fix camera I wasn't aware of. 11;45 at night, 47 in the 40...
They have this on 24/7 and it was only meant to help when the Stack was going, BUT they found it was bringing so many fines that it is being left on. they have had thousands of SPEEDERS on the two lane dual carriageway and only a round temporary sign as a warning. It is over the top but THEY decided it was a good idea The fixed cameras made a load, but Kent Police made a damn sight more by diverting the camera van to the point just inside the new limited area on the hill from the Roundhill Tunnels. Sneaky and underhand is not the word for it. It has NOTHING to do with safety as it is a perfectly good road normally. The speed awareness courses are ÂŁ100 each and 20 per morning 20 per afternoon and for 5 days a week, all that revenue goes to the Police direct for the courses.
The DHB , Dept of transport, as was and the police have all got their snouts into the trough on this one. A lot a traffic now comes into the town via the older Folkestone Road causing trouble in the approaches to the town and i it as well.
The traffic lights at the Archcliffe Roundabout has caused trouble as foreigners see a green light and drive around the roundabout hitting local cars going around it BECAUSE they have a green light and think they have the right of way on the roundabout.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Apparently there are huge delays at Dover port due to increased security. Daughter just received photo from a friend and it looks horrendous :eek:
What security? On return from wintering in Spain and having parked in the port overnight. We loaded at Calais with a brief view of our passports and drove straight off at Dover. The A2 was clear up to TESCO (Whitfield Roundabout).

They were making a good show of security at Calais in the afternoon just after we parked up in Calais port car park. However as darkness fell they all nocked off. No sign of Border Agency or Police as we went through at either end in the morning.

We were told to allow 90 minutes for check in before loading by DFDS.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
What security? On return from wintering in Spain and having parked in the port overnight. We loaded at Calais with a brief view of our passports and drove straight off at Dover. The A2 was clear up to TESCO (Whitfield Roundabout).

They were making a good show of security at Calais in the afternoon just after we parked up in Calais port car park. However as darkness fell they all nocked off. No sign of Border Agency or Police as we went through at either end in the morning.

We were told to allow 90 minutes for check in before loading by DFDS.
That was the weekend of the Brussels bombing

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They set Manston up with temporary floodlighting and portaloos, but too late. It never got used as the major stack problems subsided. But we went past the other day and everything as gone!
Still paying Anne Gloater!!!! the money as agreed of course, how many millions??????

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Came through Dover yesterday. There is now a contraflow in place so as you come down the hill to the roundabout with the garage on there are 2 lanes - one for the services and one for the port, guess which lane we took along with 2 cars and an artic! After we had a tour of the garage and got into the correct lane we headed for the port. The traffic travelling away from the port was chaotic.

I would advise that if you can, approach and leave Dover on the A2.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Old habits die hard. Have always used the M2 A2. Am usually in autopilot until Jubilee Way :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back