Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
I want to travel to Southern Spain this October, which is the best route, Dover Calais , and then drive through France, or go direct to Spain , which is costlier, but less driving ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're going Plymouth Santander in October to Spain partly because we live just outside Plymouth but cost wise for us when I looked at it there wasn't a huge amount of difference but if you stayed in aires and avoided toll roads, driving through France will be cheaper. We just take the ferry to Santander as a mini-cruise and pig out in the posh restaurant!

You just have to do the sums if you want to be sure, the size of your MH impacts on the cost of the ferry and probably the mpg on land. The weather is also a factor - bumpy ferry or rain-lashed roads? Take your pick. We lash ourselves to the bar and ride out the storms!

As a generalisation I think taking the shortest ferry crossing and driving is going to be cheaper and if you have the time go for it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We drove through France last year but have decided to give the Santander ferry a go this sept. Quite expensive and we'll tell you whether we'll do it again after this one. We've been told the bay of biscay can be quite rough. Just as well we are good sailers!!!
All good to put on our bucket list. I did like pootling through France though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chromedog

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Many campsites and aries will be closed that time of year and the weather could well be cold down the centre of the country so stick to the west coast,,

The sailing to Bilbao/ Santander is ok but expensive, and the bay of Biscay can be more than rough !!! but it can be calm so you take your choice.

Would suggest cross Dover Calais before lunch time as cheap as poss (My Ferry around £45) first stop
Camping Sainte-Claire
19 Rue la Grande Flandre
76270 Neufchâte-en-bray
France
(closes 31 Oct) next full day down to Poitiers,(
Camping Le Futuriste
Rue du Château
86130 Saint-Georges-lès-Baillargeaux
France
) I stay two nights there, then down to
Camping Larrouleta
210 Route de Socoa
64122 Urrugne
France
Then cross into Spain and off to where you intend to end up, if making for the Med coast head for Pamplona then head for Valencia, and the coast the world is you oyster...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I always go Dover calais.. As I would rather be driving than sat on a boat getting bored to death... October's not bad we usually travel November or January.. As said can be cold so we just crack on using non toll and aires..
Aires are not closed but you may find water turned off to protect from frost.
Campsites are very rare at that time of year.

Western route is our choice.. Calais, Rouen, Chartes N10 straight down to. bordeaux, Then depending on destination and weather its either the Someport tunnel or down to Irun and into Spain.. Do 2 /3 return trips a year this way.. I have some info on route, stopovers etc and if you want it PM me...

Ps.. Currently in Benidorm and will be on this route back home from Thursday..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It depends upon what you want. Is your idea to get to Spain ASAP and then start your holiday? If so then take the long crossing, because it will be quicker and more stress free. Or does your holiday start when you get in the motorhome? In that case go via France, use the non-toll roads and enjoy the journey.

Although most of the camp sites will be closed, nearly all the Aires will still be open. In fact most Aires are available for use all year, although you may have problems with getting water in the middle of winter, As an example the Saint Claire campsite recommended above closes for winter, but its attached Aire (which is very good) is open all year round

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As has been said, if the journey is to be part of the holiday adventure, then Dover - Calais is the way to go.

I've been doing the trip south for a number of years and tend now to go Portsmouth - Santander and come back the long way round in May or June.

Booked to Santander on the 30th September, and can't wait to get back to Spain.

:cooler:

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
We are off to Bontera park this Oct going from Newhaven to Dieppe saves 100 miles driving from Calais free aires down thro France and return Santander to Portsmouth. If your over sixty you can get 20 per cent discount with ldlines on Newhaven route.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We are trying the newhaven to dieppe this year as home to Dover or newhaven is only 5 miles difference. The idea is to relax and chill out for the 6hr crossing , also saves on driving from calais . Think we all forget to take in to account how far to the port from home in the 1st place, and just look at the cost of the crossing.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are trying the newhaven to dieppe this year as home to Dover or newhaven is only 5 miles difference. The idea is to relax and chill out for the 6hr crossing , also saves on driving from calais . Think we all forget to take in to account how far to the port from home in the 1st place, and just look at the cost of the crossing.
It will take you much longer to get to Newhaven though. Dover is motorway and dual carriageway all the way to the port. For Newhaven you will probably use the A21 from the M25 and then the A26 which is a trunk road in name only! Hit Tunbridge Wells at the wrong time (school start or finish) and it will take you the best part of an hour to get through (I live there). And the rest of the A26 is pretty agricultural. Nice scenery but get stuck behind a slow lorry and you will have lots of time to view it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back