Dover Council and overnighting (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I recently wrote to Dover Council inquiring about the proposed ban on overnight parking on Marine Parade. My email and the council's reply are below. I suspect that the 'problems reported by residents' refer to the Beach at Walmer, rather than Marine Parade. As the matter is ipen to public consultation, it might be worth a few more Funsters pointing this out and letting the council know of their experiences on Marine Parade?

I own a motorhome, and travel frequently to the continent on the Dover/Calais route. I have always parked overnight on Marine Parade when catching a morning ferry, which enables us to have a meal and a few drinks in the town before settling down for the night. I was disturbed, therefore, to read the following report in your local paper:

AN OVERNIGHT ban is set to be enforced to prevent caravans from parking along Dover seafront.
A council report states the measure is in response to "concerns raised by residents and businesses" such as those featured on the Express' front page last month.
The ban would be enforced from 6pm to 6am seven days a week on caravans parking on Marine Parade and Waterloo Crescent.
The recommendation will be discussed at a Joint Transportation Board meeting in Whitfield tonight (Thursday) at 6pm.
But Gateway resident Robert Knibbs thinks the proposal is "a step forward but not ideal".
He said: "At the moment they don't really enforce the existing rules so for me it doesn't matter what law they pass if they are not going to enforce it. What I find distressing is that Dover Harbour Board and the council pay a lot of money to keep the area looking nice and yet they let it be turned into a campsite overnight.
"People have been using the garden areas as toilets, defecating in the entrance area, leaving black bin bags of litter in the street and playing loud music at night.

The idea that I, and the other motorhome users I have seen using Marine Parade as an overnight stop, would 'use the garden areas as toilets' and 'leave black bags of litter is the street'. would be offensive if it were not so obviously untrue.

I am writing to ask if the report is correct, and that I am no longer permitted to park on Marine Parade, thereby ensuring that I will put no more money whatsoever into Dover's economy.

Thank you for your email regarding Motorhome parking in Dover.

At its meeting on 11th September 2014, the Dover Joint Transportation Board took the decision to commence the process of introducing an overnight ban, from 6pm to 6am Monday to Sunday, on motor caravans parking on Marine Parade and Waterloo Crescent, Dover and The Beach, Walmer. This process will involve public consultation. At the same time, Parking Services have been directed to look into finding alternative provisions for motor caravans.

The relevant report can be viewed at http://moderngov.dover.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=124&MId=1672 The minutes of the meeting will also be published here in due course.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There's plenty of other ports that have sailings to the Continent.....

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It seems to me that with all the hassle now on Dover Calais crossing with our immigrant fraternity dover may have had its day especially if other operators to other french ports get competitive on price
Just look at the amount of funsters looking at alternative crossing so major players like haulers and tour operators must be doing same
Make you think?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot really make any useful comment as we never use the Parade.. in fact never park in Dover at all.

Looking at pictures available I am however unsure what the actual problem is ?

Any council imposing restrictions on ANY visitors does seem very short sighted to me though.

I do remember several years ago we used a CL that was very close to port..
I wonder how many 'official' caravan park owners are on the council ?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Cannot really make any useful comment as we never use the Parade.. in fact never park in Dover at all.

Looking at pictures available I am however unsure what the actual problem is ?

Any council imposing restrictions on ANY visitors does seem very short sighted to me though.

I do remember several years ago we used a CL that was very close to port..
I wonder how many 'official' caravan park owners are on the council ?

A reasonably priced and secure aire in or around the port must be a good thing and proberbly a good little earner

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
"It is important to note that motor caravans are self-contained units and campers tend
to use them for all their daily living needs. Therefore, apart from entrance fees and
light refreshments, it is unlikely that they contribute as much to the local economy as
those visitors to the area who use local accommodation or who are on a day-trip."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A few weeks ago we simply booked the early morning ferry and turned up at the port after the last ferry the night before........ booked in.......... drove to the front of the queue ........... sleep........wake up just before boarding :)

Secure, safe , and first on the ferry :)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We have used Marine Parade several times, and I am not surprised that locals object.
On one occasion at midnight I had to get up and have harsh words with my neighbour who had a generator chained to his bumper running at full tilt . ( Not a quiet one )
He needed it to watch his huge TV screen which you could hear from down the street.
He packed it away then moved his motorhome down the road and started up again.
This type of inconsiderate behaviour probably happens most nights and we are all now paying the price.
No surprise to me

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back