Doubt pays dividends. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I posted a while back that I thought we had some issues with floor delamination in the 2019 Sunlight van. The creaking and cracking from the back of the van was alarming, it was perfectly audible outside van even when just being walked on by someone inside the van. The nice dealer reminded me of the warranty policy we had given as with a pat on the head as were ushered out of the establishment with our new found freedom bus.
The warranty company asked for us in the first instance to have fault checked out and a costing for it's repair obtained. It was busy everywhere, but we got a couple of bookings and the van floor was checked out and our worst fears confirmed, "delamination ++££££ss". We had some trips booked, so carried on using the van and it was quite strange as some days you fully expected to be no back of the van there when we arrived at our destination, the creaking and squeaking was so appalling,, other days, not a peep!!. I rang and arranged another inspection at Reliance near Chichester, but again due to Covid and just workload, it would be several months hence.
Skip forward a couple of months and the inspection day arrived. We took the van in and the workshop technicians spent 45mins or so going round and under, and through the cupboards. "Wow that's loud" one said . I was now expecting the same bad news. "Well " he said, "I can tell you what it's not, and that's delamination" . "Really" I responded. "Nope, I'm pretty sure it's a coach building issue with internal walls". A return visit was organised for the following week for the guys to release fixtures and fittings, and track down the source of the noises.
That weekend, whilst fettling other small items inside the van thought I'll just have quick peak and see if I can spot the problem myself. Much crawling about on hands and knees ensued, but i was eventually able to pinpoint the exact spot that triggered the loud squeak. This was the spot where the bathroom wall, and rear back vertical bulkhead all came together along with a cupboard. I discovered that sliding a thin blade scraper under the intersection completely stopped the noise. What seemed to be happening was the upright sections for creating a soundboard effect with floor thus amplifying the little squeak out of all proportion. So, the acid test, would it still stay quiet when on the road? Took her out for a road test and success, no noises. Obviously a scraper blade sticking out across the floor couldn't be a permanent solution, so a bit more fettling, and a thin strip of stainless shim, about the size and thickness of a feeler gauge was fashioned with a little heal on it to pull it out again in case it didn't work, but can be cut off at a later date. Another test drive, and all's still well.
I can't thank the team at Reliance enough for there honest appraisal, and it was with some embarrassment that I rang them to say the appointment probably wasn't now needed. No problem though, they were genuinely interested in the fix I had accomplished. I insisted that the time they had spent looking at the van on the inspection should be paid for, so a mutually agreed sum was agreed and paid. For my part it's money well spent as I now know where I can take the van for any futer works that may be required and am certain of receiving an honest appraisal. Fingers crossed it remains a permanent fix.
Mike.
20211025_113828.jpg
20211025_113915.jpg
20211025_113926.jpg

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
Good detective work! I had to shim the bed frame in our brand new Elddis 115, took me a couple of hours of pushing and poking to identify the exact source, but worth it for the peace and (relative) quiet. It is an Elddis after all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back