LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well im glad the message seems to have got through in the end to every ones satisfaction G

Not so.

The most important point has been missed, what happens if one of the two same single phase sockets is wired reversed ?

Even worse, what happens if the two sockets are wired reversed and they are on different phases ?

If we are going to debate this at least do it thoroughly. I hate this modern day "yeh, that'll do" approach.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hadnt realised is was a debate:RollEyes:
1 question multiple correct answers DONT DO IT:thumb:
if you want to debate it futher What if, Its Raining?Full Moon? Ramadam?
its a facts member wants to do it:RollEyes:
G
Oh and thanks for the "Modern":winky:

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
oi! Geo & Brian!

Keep the noise down...

...I'm trying to work on my schematic for a relay to switch the phases and then I'm off to the dragons den to see Theo Fajitas, Peter Cajones, Duncan Hammer-time and I'm gonna make millions...MILLIONS I SAY :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
oi! Geo & Brian!

Keep the noise down...

...I'm trying to work on my schematic for a relay to switch the phases and then I'm off to the dragons den to see Theo Fajitas, Peter Cajones, Duncan Hammer-time and I'm gonna make millions...MILLIONS I SAY :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

I hope you'll remember your friends.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Nick why try and avoid an answer to the question? Bryan asked a perfectly reasonably question and I’m sure he was hoping for more than a yes no answer. I know nothing about his background but are you suggesting the answers have now gone over Bryans head?

I am not suggesting for one moment the answers have gone over anyone head, and yes a resonable question, but it did start to seem like some one was waiting for just one person to say yes that will work.

The reason I wanted to avoid answering in full, is how confusing things get, common sense tell me it is a big no no, the regs on the other hand don't cover this particular question, they do cover how close 2 sockets on different phase can be, a rough guide that I use is you should not be able to touch both sockets with your arms out streched, there is mention in buttons post, the one where he asked his brother, and I quote " it does though risk a potentially higher fault current locally, but probably not double as was suggested," in simple terms this means it affects other users of the same set of hook ups, a further quote "but it needs to be taken account of. " By who? well both the person who is using 2 leads and his next door neighbour who by no fault of his own is in danger of a lesser protection because of the potentially higher fault current.

I am glad Bryan has decided not to do this, and hope above hopes no one else does, electricity is a wonderful thing, but in the wrong hand it can and does kill, Respect it and it will respect you,

A last word (honest) it takes less than .25 amp (quarter of 1 amp) to kill a person, as electricity takes the easiest route to earth, which is in at your hands via your heart, down your legs to the ground, which strangely enough is an earth connection, now that's tomorrows lesson on power generation.
:thumb::thumb:

Nick

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
sorry to drag this OT a bit..

but I need some connectors for a auto wiring job at the weekend.. scotch locks have been mentioned.. but... a BT engineer visited me a few years ago and had some very small translucent wire connectors which seem very good.. anyone know about them? they emit a sealent when you clamp them, waterproofing the connection.. they are similar to SL but much smaller and I think much better... I have about 25 small gauge wires to connect, and space is a premium, so any advice welcome :winky: have searched ebay to no avail, not tried anywhere else..

thanks
John

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Once upon a time I had loads of these:Doh:

They are designed for telecoms specifically, .75mm (if memory serves) wire max and at a guess 1amp max current. If they would suit, try RS, buggered if I can remember what they are called though?

Poss Maplins?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Simon, sound like the things.. yep will have a look at RS.. and map's
I am lpg'ing my car (V6) ::bigsmile: and there are a fair few wires to join

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

but I need some connectors for a auto wiring job at the weekend.. scotch locks have been mentioned.. but... a BT engineer visited me a few years ago and had some very small translucent wire connectors which seem very good.. anyone know about them? they emit a sealent when you clamp them, waterproofing the connection.

thanks
John

Hi John , we used them off shore but I've not seen them since ..

a good alternative is insulated butt connectors with a short piece of heat shrink sleeving or if you have the patience, a soldered joint also using heat shrink to insulate .

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Jim.. i saw these online last night.. may go for that...

I def dont want to use chockblock things, although I often use them elsewhere.. scotch are ok (ish) if you want to tap into an existing line.. but this is just simple joining..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks Jim.. i saw these online last night.. may go for that...

I def dont want to use chockblock things, although I often use them elsewhere.. scotch are ok (ish) if you want to tap into an existing line.. but this is just simple joining..

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs...

If you don't already own one, invest in a proper crimping tool .. they are not cheap but will last a lifetime... but more importantly will do a proper job.
All too often people use inferior crimpers then wonder why the joint fails.. if you were close to me you could borrow mine..

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs...

If you don't already own one, invest in a proper crimping tool .. they are not cheap but will last a lifetime... but more importantly will do a proper job.
All too often people use inferior crimpers then wonder why the joint fails.. if you were close to me you could borrow mine..

Actually you can, if you look around get reasonable ones at sencible prices, but Jim's absoulty right re using proper ones and not the cheapo rubbish.

Guy did me a deal on a pair when I bought wiring loom yeas ago, bloomin marvelous and going strong still!

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I had forgotten abouth them Jim :Eeek:

will get one, I am always joining damn wires..

there is a maplins on my journey tomorrow to Orpington.. and a halfords.. will keep an eye out

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

but I need some connectors for a auto wiring job at the weekend.. scotch locks have been mentioned.. but... a BT engineer visited me a few years ago and had some very small translucent wire connectors which seem very good.. anyone know about them? they emit a sealent when you clamp them, waterproofing the connection.. they are similar to SL but much smaller and I think much better... I have about 25 small gauge wires to connect, and space is a premium, so any advice welcome :winky: have searched ebay to no avail, not tried anywhere else..

thanks
John

Those are 3M connectors, I don't think they make them in that style now. As mentioned they are designed for telecoms applications (low current).

Here are are the modem equivalents. You may find something that suits your needs.

Link Removed

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Pablo, I need them this weekend but dont seem to be near a place that will sell them.. looks some good stuff on there.. will see if they can post for tomorrow :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back