Double the cost if no other car! (1 Viewer)

Loadofmischief

Free Member
Jun 30, 2019
Great Britain
Funster No
MH
Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2010
Had massive problems renewing insurance with C&MC which were interesting but I won't bore you with on this post.Eventually they found another underwriter who would insure me but during that process I discovered that the mileage you declare makes a big difference to the premium. I brought it down from 10k to 7k and that reduced the premium by nearly £100.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My first MH insurance this year used Comfort as the well knowns C&CM Caravan & Camping wanted silly money. Rang Comfort £300ish so OK when I collect the van I will call you. On collecting the van from the seller home I called comfort from there. They asked how I knew about them, I said the vehicle was already insured with them and hey presto another 10% deduction. There are some clauses but nothing that effects my use of the van. A queried the mileage and they were not overly concerned as they understood it was a first time purchase and not to worry as on the next renewal a more realistic figure could be assessed. Nowhere near the 6000 miles as yet which seems to be the average. But you only know how good an .insurance company is when you need their help. Fingers crossed I will not need to find out.

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
It's a minefield. I recently renewed with NFU Mutual. Previously it was me and my wife on the policy but my wife never drives the MH, although she does have the correct licence. I naively asked how much of a reduction there would be if I removed her from the policy. In fact the premium would have risen by £60 per annum. Needless to say she is still covered. It makes no sense to me :unsure:.

Exact same as I was advised during the renewal process (with Comfort) 2-3 years ago. Although my partner doesn’t drive the Motorhome anyway, I’ve kept her on the insurance just to get the reduced premium.
Like you, I don’t quite see how having a second, named driver reduces the risk to the insurer. Maybe some knowledge folks on here would know, though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I don’t quite see how having a second, named driver reduces the risk to the insurer. Maybe some knowledge folks on here would know, though.
Maybe having another driver sitting alongside makes people drive more carefully?

Daniel-J

Free Member
Feb 19, 2020
Adelaide
Funster No
MH
COLEMAN LIGHT LX 285
Exp
I've been driving since 2019.
I have Comfort Insurance too, no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you have someone else on the policy then if you are unable to drive that person WILL be expected to drive which is why I am not on our MH insurance as there is no way I would drive it. I'm not a particularly confident driver anyway so only drive my car when I absolutely have to!

Denise

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thanks denisejoe beat me too it. We both drive the van, for 9 years it was Registered in my name and insured in John's this year only 2 companies would insure it like that as we are not married, or in a civil partnership. We will be changing registration for next renewal. Did look to insuring it in my name but they all wanted silly money, full no claims and been driving campers motorhomes since the 80s. Present vehicle is registered as a motorhome too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back