Double the cost if no other car! (1 Viewer)

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Just went to renew my premium and in running through the details on the phone, I mentioned that I no longer had a separate car in addition to my campervan (I wasn't using it so sold it last year; I use a bike to get around locally and I also belong to a car club if I need to use a car).
But admitting that I no longer have my car, changed my premium from £377 to over £800! I assume it was a different underwriter, the first couldn't cover me if I had no other car.
Any thoughts?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Suggest you use a comparison website \ check alternative insurers or brokers, eg Comfort, etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm shopping around for insurance at the moment and I think they have all asked that question. I suppose they treat it a bit like classic car insurance and expect the MH to be a toy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Just renewed ,mine with Campton's, went up this year from £470 to £640 including legal cover, policy holder and spouse.

Only vehicle and 15000 mile limit, when I queried the rise they said that the underwriters had changed there criteria, I turned 70 this year as well.

Tried C&CC insurance( Vantage), quoted £2500 and would need to confirm with underwriters!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I renewed mine with safeguard in August and at the time didn't have another car and didn't make any difference to it

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I gues if you do that you need to insure the £50 banger, plus MOT. like the idea but I suspect insurers wouldn't make it that easy.
You don't need to insure a car on SORN or tax it.
It just has to be off the road.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Or MOT it.
Could the insurance be third party only and still meet the "required second vehicle" criteria?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Does the second vehicle have to be in the MH vehicle's insured name or can it just be in 'the household', whether it be a wife, unmarried partner, son, daughter etc. Did they speciffy?

For example my OH(unmarried) has a son living in the same house but different apartment.

In fact here in Poland it makes no difference, since like some other countries it is the vehicle which is insured not the driver, as long as the driver is over 25 years old.

I am only asking in case we move to UK in future.

Geoff

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I should have made myself clearer. My assumption is for a second vehicle to qualify it must be insured.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Deleted (Lenny beat me to it!)

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I guess they see it like fulltiming. They assume you will be using the MH a lot more and so the risks to them are greater. The MH is my only insured vehicle but I do have use of a car insured in my husbands name. I thought the question was are how many vehicles in the household or something like that .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Annie, I accept what you say, and you are right of course.
That IS what the Ins. Co.s would say, except; They tie everyone down to mileage per year as well. That is something that was never asked twenty years ago.

Why should it cost twice as much per year if the use of the vehicle in terms if mileage hasn't changed.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Annie, I accept what you say, and you are right of course.
That IS what the Ins. Co.s would say, except; They tie everyone down to mileage per year as well. That is something that was never asked twenty years ago.

Why should it cost twice as much per year if the use of the vehicle in terms if mileage hasn't changed.
Maybe because they factor in that more short trips, eg to the supermarket and around town, are where their risks are greater. They only work on average data not individual cases.

we have 2 old cars and one modern car. The older cars are probably worth more and may cost more to repair but the insurance is very low, around £100 fully comp with 2 drivers. The mileage limit is the same on all the cars. They probably have stats that show that older drivers with classic cars are not such a high risk, however we individually drive them !

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Until very recently, my van was my only vehicle and with Comfort, it made no difference to the premium I was paying them when I had my previous car. I also had business cover added for no extra cost.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I gues if you do that you need to insure the £50 banger, plus MOT. like the idea but I suspect insurers wouldn't make it that easy.

But would you.

Im asked if I own any other vehicles.
But they never ask if they are insured ?

OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ok, OP here, many thanks for all the replies.
I would have had to 'have use of' another vehicle; it needn't belong to me but must be in the household. To have use of it means it would have to be taxed and insured, so SORNing an old banger wouldn't quallify.

I'm also a member of a car-sharing club but that wasn't eligible either.

I also asked if my bicycle would count (in the eyes of the law a cycle is a vehicle) but they wouldn't buy that! Although I do use my bike for local trips that many would use their car for.

Anyway, I have now re-insured with a different company. At a lower cost than the first one was, even at its original price :smiley:

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
We have a MH which is insured in my name only a car insured in wife's name and me as named driver and a touring motorcycle in my name only. All separate companies total cost for year under £500 all with European cover. I do however research each year on renewal.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It's a minefield. I recently renewed with NFU Mutual. Previously it was me and my wife on the policy but my wife never drives the MH, although she does have the correct licence. I naively asked how much of a reduction there would be if I removed her from the policy. In fact the premium would have risen by £60 per annum. Needless to say she is still covered. It makes no sense to me :unsure:.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When you get cover, you have to declare the annual mileage. That must be their indicator for risk. They don't ask how many trips you plan to make nor how many days on the road. i'm not sure what relevance another car is, except that they might look for accidents on another to increase the premium on the motorhome.
I don't know how mileage affects risk, but I feel that low mileage might increase risk due to unfamiliarity. Also, if intending to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have all 3 of our vehicles in my name plus Brenda, and I am also on my sister's and daughter's car policies. They don't give a discount because I regularly drive 5 different vehicles. I can only drive 1 at a time though

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If one car is a Toad, technically a single person/owner could have them both at risk at the same time.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
i would class a bike as a second vehicle but in insurance speak they probably mean another vehicle your insuring
Also as regards the question “do you have use of another vehicle” but do they ask “and do you actually use that vehicle that you have use of” so technically you could own another vehicle and have use of another vehicle but that doesn’t mean you actually use that vehicle. I would imagine that will come shortly.....just an observation really.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
It surely is a minefield and I think half the battle is to have some idea of what questions they might ask and be ready with a selection of ‘ Suitable ‘ answers ? Not that I’m suggesting any skullduggery but I do think there are different ways of constructing your answers which result in different premiums . I had a really difficult job renewing the cover on a classic car a couple of years back - at one point they said they couldn’t insure me , even though nothing had changed at my end , just the goalposts at theirs .

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I have just insured my motorhome with Comfort, first year's insurance. I do not have a car I own, just a Motorbility vehicle I drive. They were not bothered I did not have my own car, and my premium was £304 with 6,000 miles per annum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back