LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sandra - you appear to use your double skillet as we did ours - ie, as an oven or 2 separate pans but NOT stacked, hence my suggestion of the Lakeland offering as an alternative to the 'new' double skillet which will only be the smaller diameter one.
I have to disagree with you I am afraid. Without removable handles the Lakeland pans cannot go from hob to oven, meaning another pan is necessary. Also using it on the Cadac with the domed lid means you need to take the handle off, which I have done a few times.

I am not saying the Lakeland ones won't do but they are just not so versatile, in my opinion.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have to disagree with you I am afraid. Without removable handles the Lakeland pans cannot go from hob to oven, meaning another pan is necessary. Also using it on the Cadac with the domed lid means you need to take the handle off, which I have done a few times.

I am not saying the Lakeland ones won't do but they are just not so versatile, in my opinion.
I was simply going from what you said you did with yours earlier, they can go from hob to oven if the over is large enough to take the whole pan, or alternatively it may be possible to remove the handles (I've done this with other pans for storage but can't remember how the Lakeland ones are attached), I'm not saying it's the same as the Double Skillet, but an alternative especially as there's no timescale on when the DS will be available and it will also only be in the smaller size which may not be big enough for a lot of people.

At the end of the day all we can do is offer options and opinions and others will need to decide for themselves what they want.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Lakeland weight is 2 kg just checked with them. What's the weight on the DS?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lakeland weight is 2 kg just checked with them. What's the weight on the DS?
If someone has a large DS and could weigh it without the glass lid but with the handles attached I suspect it will be lighter than the Lakeland one!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If someone has a large DS and could weigh it without the glass lid but with the handles attached I suspect it will be lighter than the Lakeland one!
As requested Mel, the original large DS complete with both handles, (minus the glass lid), weighs in at 1.3Kgs. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suppose one of the reasons why the Lakeland one will be heavier is that the handles are a bit more 'solid' than the Lakeland ones ... now if someone bought a Lakeland one and took the handles off then weighed it ... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
R

richard foks

Free Member
Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
Well, here is the sample and we are extremley pleased with it, same spec as the original but with more uptodate non stick coating.I will keep posted as soon as the time scale comes through. Once again , thank you all for your input, it has been invaluable.
pan.jpg
IMG_4580.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4573.JPG
    IMG_4573.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4574.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 59

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Just wondering,judging by the height of the bottom pan in relation to the newspaper.
Would you fit a roast of meat or a chicken into it and put the second pan on top??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looks good Richard, only changes I would make if I was producing it would be to redesign it slight, although may not be possible, as follow:
  • Make the handle on the glass lid smaller (ie shallower) as from memory when I had one it was a pain to try to store - one that folds down would be ideal.

• If the bottom pan base tapered in a bit, or was a smaller diameter than the top one, with just the top flange being the same size as it is now (ie rather than them both being straight sided) it would then allow it to sit partially inside the upper one so make it much easier to store in a motorhome.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You turn the lid upside down to store it on the pan
I would not change a thing, wifey has used it for over 3yrs now maybe 4 and would not want it any other way

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks good Richard, only changes I would make if I was producing it would be to redesign it slight, although may not be possible, as follow:
  • Make the handle on the glass lid smaller (ie shallower) as from memory when I had one it was a pain to try to store - one that folds down would be ideal.

• If the bottom pan base tapered in a bit, or was a smaller diameter than the top one, with just the top flange being the same size as it is now (ie rather than them both being straight sided) it would then allow it to sit partially inside the upper one so make it much easier to store in a motorhome.
We keep ours in a Whitefurze 10 litre storage box.
The bottom pan goes in first, with the diffuser inside it.
The top pan goes in second, with the handles inside it.
The lid (within a bubble wrap envelope I made) goes in third, upside down so that the handle doesn't stick up
and the egg poaching fitment goes in last.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You turn the lid upside down to store it on the pan
I would not change a thing, wifey has used it for over 3yrs now maybe 4 and would not want it any other way
On the one we had inverting the lid meant the handle 'bobbled' around on the base of the pan due to the dome - I wonder if the later models had a shallower design of dome to avoid this?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Jacs likes the handle as it is, no fiddling no mistakes
I recommend you charge customers twice as much for alternative choices :LOL:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My manager wants two when available please. Please do not change design!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On the one we had inverting the lid meant the handle 'bobbled' around on the base of the pan due to the dome - I wonder if the later models had a shallower design of dome to avoid this?
I don't know when "later" came in, Mel, but we bought ours in 2008.
Maybe the bubble wrap envelope (it's the larger bubble style) and the fact that it fits pretty tight in the box prevents "bobbling".

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I will keep posted as soon as the time scale comes through. Once again , thank you all for your input, it has been invaluable.
As well as the timescales once known hope to hear what special Funster discounted price you will offering? :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Richard, can you put my name on the list for one as well please.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just wondering,judging by the height of the bottom pan in relation to the newspaper.
Would you fit a roast of meat or a chicken into it and put the second pan on top??
You'd have to initially cook the chicken in the smaller pan, with the larger pan hooked on top, then half way through, turn them over to cook the other side. This way, the juices run from the smaller pan into the larger pan, and not all over your shoes. ;)

@richard foks. It's looking good Richard, however, purely as a matter of detail, those handles are not the same as the originals, but more like those from the second generation double skillets. The original handles were more scalloped and rounded, and had an elongated hole at the end of the handles, with a dark wine coloured release button.

Well done for reintroducing a very popular utensil in the camping world. (y) Good luck with the flow of orders. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Guys, too late for changes as the mould has been made and as said why fix something if it's not broken. Lid handle is slightly smaller in diameter and height, but not too much.
Not suggesting it is 'broken' but there is nothing wrong with developing it further where possible to make it even better IMV.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Hi Richard could you add us to the list please. Already have a skillet but a second would come in handy as new van is minus big oven and microwave (both of which we can do without) and I will be using my skillet more now.:smiley:

OP
OP
R

richard foks

Free Member
Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
Not suggesting it is 'broken' but there is nothing wrong with developing it further where possible to make it even better IMV.

I did look at other design options and TBH couldn't really find any that would make it any better than it already is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Okay, I'll shut up then ... :censored: :rolleyes:

OP
OP
R

richard foks

Free Member
Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
I am not keeping a list of your generous offers of buying the DS,but I will post any updates of ETA and ordering details when the time comes, Thanks All

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back