LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone got any interesting recipes or cooking tips for a DS ? Got ours the end of last year after seeing the thread on here in the summer but haven't used it in anger as yet.

Anything for roasting, baking etc would be ideal

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Made this last night:
Sauted some mediterranean veg in a blob of butter in skillet (veg frozen from Tesco)
Added some finely slices potatoes on top (if you can't slice them finely then par-boil them first)
Added 2 eggs whipped with a bit of milk and some seasoning
Added grated cheese over the top
Took handle off skillet and put pan in oven for 20 mins

Lovely - wish I'd taken a photo.

P.S. I'm a veggie hence this recipe.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sounds like my kind of meal @The Dude

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Add a slice or two of ham or bacon for the carnivores amongst us.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Pizza cooker.
I am sure that many others have tried the same but did not see it mentioned.
Using only one half of the skillet and the glass lid, I lay the Pizza on top of the skillet and cut it around the outside of the skillet. Although it is still a little too large, let it sag into the skillet onto a none stick mesh. I put the cuttings back onto the pizza to cook.
I cook on an open ring until the cheese, or whatever, looks melted. The pizza will have shrunk and can easily be removed (I slip a fish slice to lift it out). My wife likes to use a heat disperser to prevent any burnt bits but so far, every pizza has cooked perfectly.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Use as a wok.
This evening : finely cubed (1/2 cm ) small carrot, 2 cm sweet potato, some cauliflower ribs, and thinly sliced 2 cauliflower florets, & stir fried. Added 2 cm cucumber cubed, then cauliflower leaves. Finished by stirring in half tub of Co-op beetroot and mint dip. Seriously yummy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This thread didn't get very far, hopefully not because they are really another of those "useful gadgets" that you should resist;) the last one was the DIABLO toastie maker, I said "don't do it" but too late Ethel.

So anyway I dont know where she suddenly got the idea from but Mrs funflair has gone and ordered a double skillet, please help her out with some good tips and recipes otherwise I will be forced to point out to her "its not an oven its a pan with another pan for a lid"

Martin

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Martin, Martin, Martin - if Jen wants a double skillet then so be it. It gets hard enough thinking what to provide for dinner everyday and if a new cooking implement provides a little inspiration then that's a good thing. :cooler::wink:

Seriously though, I have roasted whole chickens (spatchedcock), chillies, pizzas, potato wedges, lasagne, Spanish tortilla, we even use ours to make toast.

I never use the glass lid as it's heavy and cumbersome in the cupboards, so it stays at home. If the dish needs a lid, I.e chilli or a curry, then the other pan acts as the lid, when the dish is cooked simply take of the top one and use it to boil your rice or spaghtti or whatever.

They are also good for heating part bake rolls or baguettes. Baked potatoes (smallish ones), cauliflower cheese, ............many more dishes but you get the idea.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Sandra, so it might just be the lid that’s a waste of money :LOL:

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Sandra, so it might just be the lid that’s a waste of money :LOL:

Martin
Not a waste ... if you use the double skillet in it's other 'form', ie stack one pan on top of the other, you can then cook meat in the base pan and veg etc in the top one with the lid on so only need to use one gas ring rather than two, so it saves fuel ... or curry in one pan, rice in the other ...

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
What ever happened to the nice skillet lady that used to be at every show? She must have cooked thousands of chickens and toasted millions of pieces of bread. Really nice lady and this post just reminded me of her and the fact I have not seen her at the shows last year, or perhaps the year before that.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not sure but I think the original ,skillet lady had a bereavement ?
Still using the originals , smaller one in the van .
Sorry if not so .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What ever happened to the nice skillet lady that used to be at every show? She must have cooked thousands of chickens and toasted millions of pieces of bread. Really nice lady and this post just reminded me of her and the fact I have not seen her at the shows last year, or perhaps the year before that.
She lost her business partner and carried on on her own for a while but found it too much so reluctantly stopped altogether and I assume sold the 'rights' to the new chap who's producing them now.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have two of the original double skillets from the lady had the smaller one 12 years and got a larger one when I heard she was retiring. I do use the lids, because I have no oven or grill they are used for almost everything from lovely toasties, you put the butter on the outside of the bread put your filling in turn occasionally with spatula.
Cooked many a joint of meat and veg in them. Lovely for stews etc but do use a defuser for heating pies or really low heat cooking.
Though I now have a Mr D's now so for stews or any slow cooking I will use that.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have two of the original double skillets from the lady had the smaller one 12 years and got a larger one when I heard she was retiring. I do use the lids, because I have no oven or grill they are used for almost everything from lovely toasties, you put the butter on the outside of the bread put your filling in turn occasionally with spatula.
Cooked many a joint of meat and veg in them. Lovely for stews etc but do use a defuser for heating pies or really low heat cooking.
Though I now have a Mr D's now so for stews or any slow cooking I will use that.
Thanks Carol

I will send Jen to get some ideas from you at Chester.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back