Double din wiring? (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
when I got my motorhome it had a single stereo. I've taken it out and fitted a pioneer Avh 3800 double din with app use connecting iPhone.

The DAB and Bluetooth is working great but I cant use NAVMii because it won't allow me to enter a destination. It also comes up with message saying I can't use satnav while driving. I'm sitting still with ignition on and handbrake both on. Am I missing a wire to handbrake or is it something else. Also I don't know what the grey plug in is for.
See wiring photo
Can anyone help

Attachments

• IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2598.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 65

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There should be a wire to the handbrake switch which turns the video off when handbrake is on, shouldn't affect satnav only the playing DVD's. Most of us just connect the wire to earth/neg to much hassle to wire to the handbrake.
Grey plug not a clue.
Also why you are at it probably worth wiring the power to habitation distribution system, my mate found out the hard way how much those double din units draw. He was parked under trees so hardly any solar and left the unit on for 24 hours drained the starter battery enough to stop the van starting. They draw about 2 amps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
It only powers up when ignition is on.

There should be a wire to the handbrake switch which turns the video off when handbrake is on, shouldn't affect satnav only the playing DVD's. Most of us just connect the wire to earth/neg to much hassle to wire to the handbrake.
Grey plug not a clue.
Also why you are at it probably worth wiring the power to habitation distribution system, my mate found out the hard way how much those double din units draw. He was parked under trees so hardly any solar and left the unit on for 24 hours drained the starter battery enough to stop the van starting. They draw about 2 amps.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It only powers up when ignition is on.
Which means it'll be wired to the vehicle, not leisure, battery.
What was the grey plug plugged into on the old unit?
Could it be rear view \ reversing camera?

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I'm down at Vanbitz in 2 weeks to get strike back fitted I'll ask them nicely to take a look at it.
I think it needs a feed to leisure battery and a green wire to handbrake.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not a lot of use in a Motorhome, you probably need to swap the Red & Yellow power feed wires.
Still no good will only be on for 20mins before it switches itself off when connected to starter battery

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Still no good will only be on for 20mins before it switches itself off when connected to starter battery
Had 3 Hymers 2 on x250 new one on x290 never happened on any of them but I always swap it over to the leisure batteries because of the high current draw of the double din units. Obviously if the converter uses the standard Fiat set up it will but not all do.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
So update from original post. Found the actual wire harness for my new double din still in the box (schooldboy error):rolleyes:

And it has a very long green wire for handbrake connection with a little red clip at the end which i assume will attach to handbrake somehow.

Anyone know whereabouts it should be attached on the Fiat Ducato?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So update from original post. Found the actual wire harness for my new double din still in the box (schooldboy error):rolleyes:

And it has a very long green wire for handbrake connection with a little red clip at the end which i assume will attach to handbrake somehow.

Anyone know whereabouts it should be attached on the Fiat Ducato?
Don't bother just connect it to earth.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's it done and satnav app now working
Many thanks I didn't think it would be such a simple solution (y)
I did wonder why your satnav wasn't working without that connection as that lead only stops you watching videos while drive didn't realise you were using an app.
Looks like the way your unit works if you had connected it correctly to the handbrake you would have only been able to use your satnav app with the handbrake on.:)

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
:D That would have been useful

I did wonder why your satnav wasn't working without that connection as that lead only stops you watching videos while drive didn't realise you were using an app.
Looks like the way your unit works if you had connected it correctly to the handbrake you would have only been able to use your satnav app with the handbrake on.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back