double Din Ducato Radio refit (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes a twin camera, I first wired it up with one camera on the camera input and one on an aux input then realised what a dumbo I had been.
If you wire a camera to and aux input because the inputs are both Video & Audio it switches the sound to the aux input so your radio or mp3 or CD sound turns off, hence fitting the switch so both cameras feed into the camera input.
Thanks very much for that info very helpful (y):) I will do the same.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes a twin camera, I first wired it up with one camera on the camera input and one on an aux input then realised what a dumbo I had been.
If you wire a camera to and aux input because the inputs are both Video & Audio it switches the sound to the aux input so your radio or mp3 or CD sound turns off, hence fitting the switch so both cameras feed into the camera input.
Interested in your twin camera switch solution, Lenny.
Being a lazy toad(!) to save me hunting what switch did you use and where did you get it from?:unsure:
Ta

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Interested in your twin camera switch solution, Lenny.
Being a lazy toad(!) to save me hunting what switch did you use and where did you get it from?:unsure:
Ta
Just wondering that myself, is there 2 wires in each av cable so it must be 6 pole switch with a 2 pole output ? ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
This unit looks excellent, very flexible, if you go for it you must let us know if any good. We have had Pioneer and now have Blaupunkt, prefer Blaupunkt New York Trucker, screen is more responsive, slots are easily accessible and support from Blaupunkt very good.
I Bought the Xtrons unit, so will post how it goes. Probably not fitting it tho until next week.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just wondering that myself, is there 2 wires in each av cable so it must be 6 pole switch with a 2 pole output ? ???
I used a single pole change over switch, you just need to join all the earth screens together.

efinjohn

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I Bought the Xtrons unit, so will post how it goes. Probably not fitting it tho until next week.

I have just fitted the same with the flip screen but got probs getting the sat nav loaded, also on the old shape ducato I have a a 2005 you have to get a dash adapter to bring it out to clear the panel.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks again to everyone who replied, so far I have wired up my reversing/road viewing cameras (there is BTW a nice handy bulkhead grommet in the passenger foot well behind the removable facia on the late Ducato. To put the cabling from the rear camera to radio through) and I simply followed the existing looms and clipped and zip tied my 10 meter cam cable underneath all the way to the rear bumper where I put one of my cameras.

I also MUST have left hand bind spot 170 degree camera for European driving which I wired for on the left of the van but did not fit. I managed to get my new Xtrons radio working (but am waiting for a cage) to fit it. My main problem seems to be that the radio will not use a cd (or anything else) whilst either the reverse camera system is fuctioning and the same with the alternate video in input. I did not have time to play with it much but looks like I cannot have a full time camera picture on the screen and music. It may be possible to set up a widget to do this on the Xtrons android system. But the manual is pretty crap and goes nowhere near into this kind of detail. Somebody told me on a forum I could do this but no sucess yet.
At least the Xtrons wiring system is well documented though.

Anybody know if their is a handy 12v ignition triggered positive wire in the Ducatos radio compartment area I can connect my 3 reversing cams and extra viewing screen to ?????? Thanks (y)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I ran my cables up through the battery box very easy and easy to get under the dash from there.
I wired my stereo to habitation electrics (straight into the Elektroblock) and used the ignition feed for the radio to power the cameras.
My Clarion operating system is Windows CE can play anything with the camera on apart from DVD's.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just thought I would update. I liked the xtrons unit and being able to sunchronise everything on android and google was great. Works seemlessly with my note 4. Manual is crap I had to work everything out, but being android based its fine. In the end I fitted a switch onto a +12v feed to force the second (reversing) camera to come on when I want it and that works fine. The other camera feed is acessible in the menu. Unfortunately when I tested the DVD system it had a green hue on the screen. So the unit is going back for exchange or repair :cry:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Another update......the company I bought off sent me a secondhand unit for my new faulty one and swapped the serial number sticker. Had someone elses live google account on it as well :confused: I am now in dispute with them, and sent back the secondhand unit. Not going to well so far, but still like the unit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not a good seller, hope you get it sorted..

Think you brought on ebay raise a PayPal dispute they always favour the buyer & and buy from someone else.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Not a good seller, hope you get it sorted..

Think you brought on ebay raise a PayPal dispute they always favour the buyer & and buy from someone else.
Well I left it past the paypal dispute period so having to do the credit card route by the time fitted it. I set up a 12v test rig to do all the loading and testing as its impossible to do much in the van. Supposedly being sent a new one....we shall see. Anyway last try.(y)
20150918_175502.jpg

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Campa Cola

Did you get a satisfactory outcome? If so how is the head unit performing as I am thinking of changing mine.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Campa Cola

Did you get a satisfactory outcome? If so how is the head unit performing as I am thinking of changing mine.
Yes it's been working OK . I only have it set up on the cab speakers though which are not great. I also had difficulty finding a surround for it as it seems to be not quite a standard size :( camera input sat nav, BT all good.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Did you get a separate TV receiver to put through it to the flip down screen?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On my current unit the notorious 12ELE2000 that Autotrail fit the head unit has a built in TV tuner so you can watch TV on the head unit screen or on the flip down screen. So if the head unit doesn't come with built in TBV-T on some you can have a stand alone tuner.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I use a Weaco twin Len camera with my Pioneer DAB radio/navigation unit

I find that this gives me the best of both worlds