Double Blow Out (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
well on about tyres went round to my local tyre placeto ask ab price £130 about// then i ask him to look at age of them (which i new 09)which he confirm
he said you ok 4 about 4years more if they do not crack
shelf life 5years

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here after 4/5 years it'll be touch & go they let them pass an mot. & there's no specific ruling stating that either. If the tester says no then you've had it.
Got a reply quite quickly. Not surprised at their response. Not something I think I could definitely win in a court and I only bet on sure things.

Hi Gary,

The tyre recommendation is just that by some not all of the tyre manufacturers to increase tyre sales.

As long as there is no significant signs of tyre wall cracking then we do not/or recommend to replace This is not generally down to the age of tyres. If you look at the amount of Lorry tyres that blow out and these are generally covering a lot of miles hence frequently replaced.

Load rating which is marked on the tyre and tyre pressures are important If you still had the original tyres fitted then the chances are they are a higher load rating i.

Best regards,

Mark Ashe

Managing Director
You said they were 13 years old ? ANY manufacturer will state that regardless of condition etc; 10years old is it.
Here's Continentals take on it.
Broken Link Removed

michelin
How old is too old? The five year test
After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back