Douanes out on the road in France (1 Viewer)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I noticed driving around the south of France in the last couple of weeks, at least 4 Customs teams stopping vehicles on the road. Two of them stopped me and asked a few questions while others searched my motorhome, but not in any real depth. I couldn't work out what they were after. The first team was 8 strong, the second 6, so quite large teams.

But it wasn't drugs, because they didn't have a dog. They also didn't have anybody that I could see on a motorbike, so they weren't planning any high-speed chases. They didn't get into the fine detail of cupboards etc so I guess it wasn't smuggling valuables. The first time, on the Côte d'Azur, I guessed people-smuggling. The second time was in the Centre, near Cahors. One of them asked me if I had anything to declare so I said no, then I asked what I might declare. He said, "weapons". Strange, this is hunting season and the woods in France are full of armed hunters, it looks like the Proud Boys out there, only in Dayglo.

And by the way they weren't interested in me or the motorhome and our document status. In the first case especially, they asked a lot of personal questions in a desultory sort of way, I suppose it was standard police-style, ask questions and see if the subject has any difficulty with them. Technically, in the course of giving my honest answers, I suppose that I admitted being in an irreguler situation as far as my motorhome registration as a French resident was concerned. They didn't care.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Weapons are indeed the most likely thing
They are experienced... They develop a feeling for who is likely to be carrying dodgy gear.. You obviously seem like an honest soul who did not raise any ticks in their personal alarm box

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot.. We have been stopped twice at Dover..Both times bags of bacca ignored and a cabinet of scotch ignored..
Both times they were looking for weapons

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
3 priorities

people
weapons
drugs

They most likely had intelligence of something being moved in a motorhome. Using profiling they have a good idea who to target, and it's not always youngsters as some might think

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
yes 15th december 2019 on way back from UK. About an hour north of Bordeaux. 2 customs & 4 gendarmes +lollopy dog.
I had overnighted on an aire de reopos & had just returned from walking the dog.
"do you speak French"
" No spanish or english" "Aah english is good. " He chatted with the 2 stooges looking over his shoulder & translated for them, the dog bounced around trying to get treats out of my pockets . No paperwork of any type was asked for & no one was interested in looking in the van.the lone female officer never took her eyes off the game she was playing on her phone & to this day they still think I'm a spaniard. :laughing:
20 minutes after got pulled in for a weight check as they thought I was a commercial.:RollEyes: only ever seen 1 gendarme before in 6 years & a couple of hundred thousand kms.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Some people obviously have that 'dodgy' look about them. :rofl::rofl:
Sounds like my wife 9/10 times we go on holiday through passport control at the airport they search her😂😂

They do have a sense of humour when I tell them to get the rubber gloves out😂😂

Did get detained at JFK once in a dark room for a while as they were looking for someone with the same name as me☹️
Had visions of starting my holiday walking around like John Wayne😂😂

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
3 priorities

people
weapons
drugs

They most likely had intelligence of something being moved in a motorhome. Using profiling they have a good idea who to target, and it's not always youngsters as some might think
amongst many things that can be trafficked. One sees them frequently at the peages throughout France, and I have been stopped and checked a couple of times in a HGV and also a car. In the HGV as well as checking the vehicle they also did a check for red (blue) diesel. France has an enormous "through country" traffic from Spanish and Italian areas and beyond. These stops are frequently not carried out on "intelligence received" but previous experiences and result.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PandS

Free Member
Nov 3, 2013
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2009
We were stopped at a road block by Douanes just outside Mont Louis in October last year. They wanted to know if we had been to Andorra. They didn’t search the van but wanted to know how much cash we had. We were stopped, along with a small van, while the locally registered cars went straight through, which is understandable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back