Does anyone go to Spain for six months at a time (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Having lived and worked in Spain, I'm reasonably au fait with the "rules". (y)

However, IMO that's not what @robnchris want (but I'm happy to be corrected).

However, IMO again, rules would be a bit of a no-no, as people should be trusted to

but without addressing quite how you are going to be sent back to your own country if you don't have the money.

So simply allow anyone to go anywhere they want for as long as they want to without any accountability: sounds like anarchy to me! :whistle:

Perhaps the best solution would be a world government?
Or, on a smaller scale, how about a European Government?
We might have a European Union, allowing each country to retain individual characteristics whilst co-operating on many aspects, but I'm fairly sure from a thread in the belly locker that @robnchris is not a supporter. :LOL:

Gordon

We are most certainly not a supporter of remaining in the EU, any system that wastes money like Brussels does will never get our vote.

Why do you seek regulation so much?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
And leaving the EU will achieve that ?

Why not, Just because the country voted to leave the EU doesn't mean we can't have a simple reciprocal agreement for free movement, unless the powers that be want to over regulate everything like they do.
Perhaps it is time for a change!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Why not, Just because the country voted to leave the EU doesn't mean we can't have a simple reciprocal agreement for free movement, unless the powers that be want to over regulate everything like they do.
Perhaps it is time for a change!!!!!!
But u said it was to stop immigration from outside the EU ?

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I would like to thank all of you for your input.... But I think until we leave the EU we will not know. But we will still go on our travels no matter what....we ARE BRITISH.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh God. Another thread ruined by folk obsessed about B****T

I could breathe before. I will be able to breathe after.

If I said what I thought about folk who bang on about B****T (from both sides) I would be banned.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Seems that an awful lot of people want to have their cake and eat it. You can't have Brexit and expect to carry on enjoying unlimited access if you're not a member of the club.

I'm not sure if good old Nige or Boris, or any of their mates, have felt it wise to mention it but Deal or No-Deal, when the UK leaves the EU, Brits will no longer have any of the advantages of being an EU Citizen. Advantages that we've been largely oblivious to in recent years, whether it's taking extended motorhome travels through Europe, stopping as long as you wish in whatever country takes your fancy, or giving your children the opportunity to easily find employment or education opportunities, or just something as simple as sending or receiving gifts from family or friends across the water.

Mikebeaches post here will be irrelevant - it applies to EU citizens - and once we're out, we're out, so we'll be treated as Third Country Nationals, with considerably greater restrictions than we enjoy now.

According to EU-wide guidance for pensioners and students (in lieu of proof of employment):

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

• Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
  • Pensioners
    • Proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • Proof you can support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
  • Students
    • Proof of enrolment at an approved educational establishment
    • Declaration that you have sufficient resources to support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
You do not need to provide any other documents.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

I won't quote it chapter and verse but here's what you have to look forward to:

You won't be able to use the EU channels at ports and airports; you'll be subject to additional checks such as providing information on the duration and purpose of your stay, as well as your means of subsistence during your stay; your passport will need at least 6 months validity upon entry; your passport will be stamped on entry and exit so the 90-day period can be verified. Rather different from just driving onto a ferry or the tunnel as at present, eh?

Your luggage, goods and vehicles will be subject to customs checks. There will be restrictions on bringing large amounts of cash, food products (such as meat, milk, cheese etc), plants, plant products or certain animals. Filling the fridge/freezer with Cheddar and all those other goodies you can't live without won't be an option.

Healthcare - no more EHIC. You'll have no alternative but to take out private medical insurance.

Driving licences - almost certainly need one or more IDPs.

Pets - much more restrictive, more planning and expense as has been discussed in other threads here.

Phone roaming - you'll be at the mercy of your provider as to whether they continue roaming or not.

If you want the full details, the link is here, first download.

I'm not sure all this is a price worth paying, to be honest, particularly if you're relying on the current crop of incompetents at the helm to take the UK into a brave new world and make a success of it.....:(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is this not the case now?
Yes .)0 consecutive days & you automatically become a resident whether you register or not.

So is it possible to stay in France for a month and go into Spain for 3 months and come back.
yes at present.

We kept the van garaged at Alicante Airport for 6 months, and flew backwards and forwards to the UK throughout the winter. So no need to register, as we were only in the country for a few weeks at a time.

We are planning to do exactly the same again this coming winter, and have already booked flights on easyJet. The cheapest return fare was £36.50, and even flying down for Christmas and New Year and back again was only £76 each.

Keeps the whole thing legal, and the van is stored indoors, away from the British winter. :)
Unfortunately in spain after 180 days ( 6 month) the van is required to be 'precintado' ( sealed) for the next 6 months.
You used to have to ask the Guardia to do it. Chances of getting them to do it now is zero & would only get you A) a set of " replate " papers or B) told to transport back whence it came
The van is in Spain for 180 days in the 12-month period, and we are there for no more than 90 days. What is wrong with that?
As above the van can stay here indefinitely but after 6 months it is required to be sealed & always has been ,even before the EU.

Covered where by the nhs?
At home?

I don't see how that is , both my doctor and dentist were aware I was travelling for a year , I had appointments with both on my return with no issues.

And never as yet ( touch wood ) had to use either abroad

Yes Tam but the actual nhs rules are you are meant to tell them if leaving for over 90 days. They are meant to deregister you. This is also why most cannot get prescriptions for over 90 days.
You have no right to an ehic if out of the Uk over 90 days.

Can you put a link to corroborate this?
As @spitfire did . The part missing from that & also badly worded, is that it reads as though ONLY some countries might require you to register. This is true but what is unsaid is that in ALL countries 90 consecutive days makes you an automatic resident whether you are required to register ,as in spain , cyprus , etc On pain of being fined, or not.
Nothing is likely to be said unless you are involved in any type of accident/dispute/altercation,etc; when the lawyers always look at how long the foreigner has been here.

Does anyone know whether vehicle periods of stay will also have to be proved to comply in the same manner as people have to or is it just people who will need to prove their length of stays?
EG: can I store my MH within the Schengen area whilst I wait to re-qualify for another 90 days?
You'd probably get away with it but as in my earlier answers, 6 months is the law in spain when it either has to go or be sealed.

I would say no.

You would have to register it in the country you are storing it and you can only register it if you have an address in that country

Then there’s the question of insurance.....
As above either out or sealed here.

According to EU-wide guidance for pensioners and students (in lieu of proof of employment):

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

• Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
  • Pensioners
    • Proof you can support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
  • Students
    • Proof of enrolment at an approved educational establishment
    • Declaration that you have sufficient resources to support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
You do not need to provide any other documents.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm
Yes that is to become a resident which is after 90 consecutive days at present. But if you do not own a house or have a rental contract you cannot register as a resident although you become one automatically under the existing rules & the offence committed is " failing to register" = 300€ fine , even though if you applied you wouldn't be accepted.
This is where the UK went wrong in not requiring people to register.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Seems that an awful lot of people want to have their cake and eat it. You can't have Brexit and expect to carry on enjoying unlimited access if you're not a member of the club.

I'm not sure if good old Nige or Boris, or any of their mates, have felt it wise to mention it but Deal or No-Deal, when the UK leaves the EU, Brits will no longer have any of the advantages of being an EU Citizen. Advantages that we've been largely oblivious to in recent years, whether it's taking extended motorhome travels through Europe, stopping as long as you wish in whatever country takes your fancy, or giving your children the opportunity to easily find employment or education opportunities, or just something as simple as sending or receiving gifts from family or friends across the water.

Mikebeaches post here will be irrelevant - it applies to EU citizens - and once we're out, we're out, so we'll be treated as Third Country Nationals, with considerably greater restrictions than we enjoy now.

I won't quote it chapter and verse but here's what you have to look forward to:

You won't be able to use the EU channels at ports and airports; you'll be subject to additional checks such as providing information on the duration and purpose of your stay, as well as your means of subsistence during your stay; your passport will need at least 6 months validity upon entry; your passport will be stamped on entry and exit so the 90-day period can be verified. Rather different from just driving onto a ferry or the tunnel as at present, eh?

Your luggage, goods and vehicles will be subject to customs checks. There will be restrictions on bringing large amounts of cash, food products (such as meat, milk, cheese etc), plants, plant products or certain animals. Filling the fridge/freezer with Cheddar and all those other goodies you can't live without won't be an option.

Healthcare - no more EHIC. You'll have no alternative but to take out private medical insurance.

Driving licences - almost certainly need one or more IDPs.

Pets - much more restrictive, more planning and expense as has been discussed in other threads here.

Phone roaming - you'll be at the mercy of your provider as to whether they continue roaming or not.

If you want the full details, the link is here, first download.

I'm not sure all this is a price worth paying, to be honest, particularly if you're relying on the current crop of incompetents at the helm to take the UK into a brave new world and make a success of it.....:(
I'm not a fan of brexit ...But a lot of what you just posted is nonsense I'm afraid.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Unfortunately in spain after 180 days ( 6 month) the van is required to be 'precintado' ( sealed) for the next 6 months.
You used to have to ask the Guardia to do it. Chances of getting them to do it now is zero & would only get you A) a set of " replate " papers or B) told to transport back whence it came

As above the van can stay here indefinitely but after 6 months it is required to be sealed & always has been ,even before the EU.
I may not have been sufficiently clear in my posts.

Our van is both used and stored in Spain during six winter 6 months.

For the remainder of the year, the van is based in the UK, albeit occasionally used to make additional shorter trips to the continent, excluding Spain.

It is registered, taxed, insured and MOT'd in the UK. The UK insurance allows for any number of overseas trips, with no single one lasting longer than 7 months; and it also includes cover at the designated secure indoor storage for up to 6 months in Spain.

There is no question of our wanting the van in Spain for longer than 6 months a year.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
here is a link that should helphttps://www.schengenvisainfo.com/spain-visa/uk/ [ myself don;t need it i took a life sentence by marrying a Spanish lady one of those perks is staying a long as i like in Spain and being covered by their NHS system due to her family working and paying taxes I had this right before thr bloody EU and it will continue after EU or as some on here would have us believe Armageddon(y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would like to thank all of you for your input.... But I think until we leave the EU we will not know. But we will still go on our travels no matter what....we ARE BRITISH.
Being British won’t mean much in a Post B...t world.
Travel where you like for as long as you like after the UK leaves the EU and if you fall foul if the Schengen SIS, you could be barred from entering any Shengen country or deported from one you are in.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm happy to be educated....

It's a busy thread and to be honest there has been too many words written for me to read through them all but was your previous post not a link to what to expect in the event of a no deal brexit rather than brexit with a deal.

Apologies if that's what you meant to post.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It's a busy thread and to be honest there has been too many words written for me to read through them all but was your previous post not a link to what to expect in the event of a no deal brexit rather than brexit with a deal.

Apologies if that's what you meant to post.

I agree it is confusing and a bit of a minefield. However we leave, we will no longer have any advantages of European citizenship. We'll be outsiders and have to comply with whatever restrictions they choose to impose. I've only quoted what is freely available to read - I can't help those who stick their fingers in their ears and say "la-la-la"

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

If I said what I thought about folk who bang on about B****T (from both sides) I would be banned.
Although I agree with you the the dreaded B subject unfortunately the question asked is affected by its consequences and these cannot be ignored in the responses even though there are some who would choose to do so .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Not sure why you think as U.K. citizens we are different from other nationals . My daughter has lived in Australia for 20 years and to visit I need a visa even though the Queen us their head of state

Yes you do need a visa for Australia but it does last for 6 months.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp

I know what you mean, lots of crap about 3 months here, 6 months there and some place called Schengen and nothing about the important stuff like how the f*** can Carrefour get away with charging 6 euros for a jar of Marmite.

Some people on here need to sort out their priorities.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does anyone know, if you have Spanish resident status would you be able to tour within the Schengen area without time limit after we leave the EU?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
F666F10A-0ACA-4B9C-A987-F4CD8936AB8B.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone know, if you have Spanish resident status would you be able to tour within the Schengen area without time limit after we leave the EU?
I guess so otherwise you wouldn't be able to live in Spain.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
My understanding is that as a Spanish resident one is not allowed to drive a vehicle taxed, registered and insured in a foreign country.
I hope I am right in this belief as I am at this moment getting my Moho transferred to Spanish registration plates.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My understanding is that as a Spanish resident one is not allowed to drive a vehicle taxed, registered and insured in a foreign country.
I hope I am right in this belief as I am at this moment getting my Moho transferred to Spanish registration plates.
That is quite true. That's why we had to sell our camper :(

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I remember reading that at the time you posted about it.
I think I would have lost a lot of cash if I'd sold mine and the logistics would have been a nightmare as I never travel without the dogs, so would have been stranded in UK without wheels.
Re -registering was a simpler and easier option for me.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Yes, but if you stayed 90+ days accumulatively in 180 days in another Schengen country then you would be legally obliged to register there, like any other resident of a Schengen country.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back