Rally Dorset Coastal Campsite Meet At Highlands End & Jurassic Fields Festival 9 - 13 July 2020 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
1582236480508.png

Docsmobile

Free Member
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ford chausson
Exp
Since 2017
Booked gravel pitch, 8th to 15th have never been to this part of country so really looking forward to it! ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Booked gravel pitch, 8th to 15th have never been to this part of country so really looking forward to it! ?
Hi - good to hear that :smiley: - just let me know if you would like me to add your first names to the list on the first post on this thread.

Docsmobile

Free Member
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ford chausson
Exp
Since 2017
Yup John and Nancy ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi, we've booked for the four nights, grass pitch. Long way off but looking forward to it.
Mal and Ian plus dog

Used to get down to Hastings quite a bit, mainly on the bike rallies, we used “The Carlisle” a good busy pub if you can take it LOL ?

Hastingsranger

Free Member
Nov 28, 2017
Hastings
Funster No
MH
Hymer swing
Exp
Newbie, previously campervan 3 yrs
Carlisle still busy and popular, unfortunately I'm a Vespa man, so not one of my haunts?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive just looked when the balance is due for this meet 20th April, should travel restrictions be in place after this piont or if somebody needs to isolate and not attend have anybody inquired about refunds in the event or will it be "you've paid your money" if you don't attend hard luck?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ive just looked when the balance is due for this meet 20th April, should travel restrictions be in place after this piont or if somebody needs to isolate and not attend have anybody inquired about refunds in the event or will it be "you've paid your money" if you don't attend hard luck?

in answer to my own question after a lot of digging on the booking site i found this

"Your booking is a legally binding contract. In the event of cancellation or curtailment, we will retain any payments you have made to us until we establish whether or not it is possible to rebook your accommodation / pitch. If it is not possible to do so, or is only possible at a reduced fee, we will retain all or part of your payment to compensate us for our loss and we may ask for further payment to cover any balance. "

I'll make my own decision prior to the balance date, but it seems for the above text they want their full money ether way...good luck with that one

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Funsters over 70 may not go as self isolation will be in place then

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
further to my earlier post. I mail the booking team asking about cancelation due to CV restrictions and I got this reply

"Good Morning,
Thank you for your email.

We are open for business as usual and will provide an update should any changes occur which affect any bookings made with us.

We are closely monitoring the developing situation and following Government guidance.

If you wish to amend your booking we are able to do this up to 21 days before your arrival as per our terms and conditions. If you wish to cancel the booking our normal Terms and Conditions apply.

Kind Regards,

Joanna Boschis"

its a pity they didn't fully answer my question so now you know what I know

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Like everyone we have been watching & waiting as the current extraordinary situation is changing everyday & in the next week or two we should all know much more about how all this years meets,rallies & festivals etc might be affected. Currently Jurassic Fields Festival still plans to go ahead with extra precautions in place & Highlands End current position is as Scout posted but it looks likely that these & others might yet have to be postponed until next year however most businesses will be waiting for Government guidance as it is their livelihoods at stake. Alan & I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to risk their health & will keep in touch with both JF organisers & Highlands End & update on here accordingly.

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
I remember reading at the time of booking the statement that is still on their website We strongly recommend that you take advantage of insurance to cover your booking and a leaflet will be enclosed with your confirmation. Alternatively, visit www.guestfirst.co.uk. Guestfirst state on their website for the time being they have suspended sales of insurance to new customers. Having paid in full and if this meet doesn’t happen we are prepared and expect to lose payment. I just hope we are all here next year to enjoy the 2021 meet. Thank you Wombles for the hard work and updates. Take care everyone x

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I haven’t considered this in any detail yet, nor have I given any thought to the effect of their terms and conditions, but I think the basic legal position is likely to be that:

1. The contract will not be capable of being legally performed if the government restrictions are still in place at the time the rally is due to take place. This is not the fault of either party and in accordance with the decision of the House of Lords in the 1943 case of Fibrosa Spolka v Fairbairn the contract will be frustrated.

2. In the event of frustration the rights of the parties fall to be determined by section 1 of the Law Reform (Frustrated Contracts) Act 1943, which is set out below. We may be entitled to our money back, less a deduction for reasonable expenses incurred by the site owner.

96D42C79-9982-41C4-823F-7CB2CEF66890.png

We need to wait and see how things turn out. If the event cannot take place it would be sensible to negotiate a fair outcome with the site owners, which I suggest be based on the event being re-booked for next year.

We should be mindful of the damage caused to their business, whilst they will doubtless want to consider the goodwill value of a large booking which may well be repeated in future years.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Do they want to be on the 'companies to avoid list'. They should do the right thing and simply postpone/return deposits rather than keep people not knowing where they stand. Life for most will be back to normal at some point in the future but meanwhile don't hide behind legislation. Do the right thing.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Would hope that Highlands End might postpone bookings to similar dates next year if the Government advice on the July period makes this year impossible - will contact them again to check their current position but a reply is unlikely in this 3 week lockdown period. Dates for Jurassic Fields Festival 2021 are not confirmed yet but again would hope that if this year doesn't go ahead then tickets should be valid for next year.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If the Government says there is an issue still they would be obliged provide an option of either refunding or postponing for a future date. If an issue and you paid by credit card they would pick up the case.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Highlands End is a good site but their terms and conditions are very inflexible as I found out to my cost.
Hi - presume that was another time as you aren't on the list for this Meet?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'm perhaps fortunate that, despite their terms requiring full payment due to the amount involveed, the website allowed me to pay a deposit with balance due end April. As that time nears I will look again at the potential we will be out of lock down and even if the festival cannot proceed we are at least able to camp. If camping is likely I'll take the gamble any pay up. If not I'll risk that the deposit can't be refunded regardless of the site.

Their terms are quite blunt of no refunds.

Bigger problem for most sites is simply viability. Despite government bailouts or whatever, they have fixed costs to simply maintain the site without campers. Postponing camping for a year isn't going to help. There must be a risk that if they were to refund they will simply cease trading as the alternative.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Know that Highlands End have already moved bookings from this lockdown period to later this year with no admin. fees so have been flexible on their normal booking terms in these extraordinary circumstances so keeping our fingers crossed that they will continue to be.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I'm perhaps fortunate that, despite their terms requiring full payment due to the amount involveed, the website allowed me to pay a deposit with balance due end April. As that time nears I will look again at the potential we will be out of lock down and even if the festival cannot proceed we are at least able to camp. If camping is likely I'll take the gamble any pay up. If not I'll risk that the deposit can't be refunded regardless of the site.

Their terms are quite blunt of no refunds.

Bigger problem for most sites is simply viability. Despite government bailouts or whatever, they have fixed costs to simply maintain the site without campers. Postponing camping for a year isn't going to help. There must be a risk that if they were to refund they will simply cease trading as the alternative.
It’s really tough for most businesses. Recreational clubs we know; gyms, golf clubs etc have suspended membership/ bookings and hope they can come out of the other side. Those that respect that if you are not able to use them right now will benefit later. Understanding that will not be all but you should not be held ransom at this point.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I have bookings for Haven campsites, they are still requiring the full balance be paid, by the original date, despite them clearly knowing if sites will be open, I presume Highlands End are doing the same. I can afford loss of deposit but not full amounts. I will make the decision at the time, but things are changing so quickly at this time, no decisions can be fixed, flexibility has to be shown.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have looked at the site’s terms and conditions. I don’t believe that they are capable of overriding the 1943 Act - see my post #135 above - and that the strict legal position is as I have suggested. Of course, I doubt that many of us will feel it worthwhile to take legal action if they simply refuse to return our deposits but any attempt to claim the balance from us should be resisted.

The sensible thing is of course for the booking and deposits paid to be carried over to next year. It may be that they will have business interruption insurance against which they can claim, although there may be exclusions which apply.

I tender my view in good faith in an attempt to be helpful but you should not rely on it and should take your own legal advice if you wish to challenge any steps taken by the site which you wish to challenge.

Let us hope that common sense will prevail.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
in answer to my own question after a lot of digging on the booking site i found this

"Your booking is a legally binding contract. In the event of cancellation or curtailment, we will retain any payments you have made to us until we establish whether or not it is possible to rebook your accommodation / pitch. If it is not possible to do so, or is only possible at a reduced fee, we will retain all or part of your payment to compensate us for our loss and we may ask for further payment to cover any balance. "

I'll make my own decision prior to the balance date, but it seems for the above text they want their full money ether way...good luck with that one
I think this refers to if YOU cancel, not if THEY cancel. And they may have to cancel if instructed by the government to close

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Is the consensus that we do not pay the balance due on 30th April until we get clarification of it going ahead or not?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
On their site today

For holiday arrival dates after 1 June, the balance will be due 7 days before your arrival date, if the park is open and we can welcome you to the park. So, for now, please do not make any further payments. We will be in touch as this crisis and the government guidance unfolds.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On their site today

For holiday arrival dates after 1 June, the balance will be due 7 days before your arrival date, if the park is open and we can welcome you to the park. So, for now, please do not make any further payments. We will be in touch as this crisis and the government guidance unfolds.
Thank you Electraglide (y)

This is the web page for us to watch https://wdlh.co.uk/blog/coronavirus-updates/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back