Dordogne (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi. We are off to France on Monday 14th September for three weeks, fancy heading for the Dordogne area. We are in no hurry and drive about 2 hours a day, mainly using Aires and odd campsite. Only booked to Eurotunnel. Got All the Aires, Camperstop and Camping Card.

I'm asking for your suggestions on places to visit and stay on route to and from Dordogne, doesn't matter if it over or under Paris; as may go one way and return the other. I have searched on here for places around the Dordogne, but if you have any must visits I'll add them to my list.

We had a great response from funsters when we toured the Loire Valley in April.

Look forward to your responses. Thanks in anticipation.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you want to see the Dronne valley, then Brantome has 2 Aires, both within easy walking distance of the town. You could travel towards Bourdeilles ( about 4 miles) Lovely, simple but very spacious Aire right by the river. Walk along the river bank to the little town. Couple of nice restaurants.
If you like French markets Riberac's is on Friday and is the largest in the area. There's a free Aire on the outskirts. Few minutes walk to the market.
It's an easy drive from Riberac to Bergerac. Wine museum with tastings in the town, looking into the Dordogne river.

If you want a beautiful place to stop, look at Le aGrand Etang de La Jamaye ( between Riberac and Bergerac) very easy access, very beautiful, ( Etang does not do it justice!) I've wild camped there and been the only person there at night. In season there are 1000s of visitors, lifeguards, bars/ restaurants, free kayaks but when the kids go back to school it's much quieter.

Or you can do the above in reverse, end at Brantome and continue on to Le Bugue, Sarlat and onto the prehistoric area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Aubbetere is worth a visit , the aire is by the river and a short walk up to the village. It's about 20 mins from ribberac. It is where the underground church is.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Aubbetere is worth a visit , the aire is by the river and a short walk up to the village. It's about 20 mins from ribberac. It is where the underground church is.
I'd forgotten about Aubeterre! Well recommend a visit, lovely town, nice bars in the centre, sit under the trees in the central square. Underground church very interesting and the town is a known craft centre.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We will be in the dordogne when you are. We intend to be in the vezere valley area .. with possibly a stop over at Parc verger. Will look out for you!
:cheers:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
St-Cirq Lapopie: there is a campsite alongside the river with an aire outside it. You can walk along the river and then up the hill to the village, which is gorgeous. I would not advise taking the van up there but it is done.

Don't miss this museum and the incredible views from their gorgeous gardens:

http://www.saint-cirqlapopie.co.uk/artists/rignault-museum

Rocamadour: not to everyone's taste but we liked it. Again, several aires and campsites.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well I've been looking for inspiration for our upcoming trip to France...............

Dordogne it is then (y):merci:

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
If you go to Rocamadour then visit the Rochers des Aigles up at the top. It's a wonderful bird sanctuary. Raptors of all sorts and a load of macaws. They do flight displays twice a day. Doesn't open until around 10/10.30 and the morning show is around 11.00. Wonderful.
There's also a monkey sanctuary, down the bottom and take a left. Very good.
And if your in Brantome the lovely market is on Fridays and Sarlat is on Saturdays.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
On a serious note .. Oradour-sur-glane is also worth visiting if you're passing. Nice aire too

I will 2nd that, very worthy of a visit

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
3rd that but be prepared its a moving experience.
And I was lead to believe the wrong village.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the responses so far and it's not even 3 hours since I posted. I sense this is going to be a very interesting trip.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Can I add Cahors ? A lovely little town with interesting bridge, a summer and autumn " hidden garden " trail, and a good campsite which is either cyclable, walkable or via free regular bus into town. Good local wine too !

There is an aire but it is very small and always overful when we pass it. We've not been for some years so they might have built another one.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Lascaux II is amazing. There was a thread about them here:
Broken Link Removed
Gouffre de Padirac is good too:
http://www.gouffre-de-padirac.com/#/en
The village of Les Eyzies has a fascinating area where the ancients lived in caves halfway up a cliff:
http://leseyzies-tourist.info/
More will no doubt come to mind.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I second St-Cirq Lapopie, beautiful place, makes me think of Knights on chargers!
There is a campsite, by the river, in Vers ( down road from Lapopie) there is also an Aire by the old Railway Station (disused) and you use the facilities in the campsite, Vers is interesting but not much there!

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Went to the Dordogne last year and loved Sarlat! We stayed near Le Bugue which was fantastic, I canoed down the Vezere from Les Eyzies to Le Bugue with my son. It was magnificent.

This year we visited Oradour Sur Glane (didn't like the aire though!) which was very moving. Then stayed at Parc Verger (Lisa and Franc are doing an amazing job there, wonderful welcome!) before going on to the Tarn Gorge (didn't like that, roads WAY too scary for a big vehicle!) can definitely recommend the Daub Valley, really beautiful!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Only just back from that area today, still unpacking - watch this space for suggestions in the very near future. Too knackered to type at present.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Perigueux is a beautiful town worth visiting and there is a free aire within walking distance along the L'isle

Also Bourdeilles, a pretty little town near Brantome.

On the way down (or up?) a free aire at Sorges

Lalinde is another pretty little town on the Dordogne. The aire next to the railway station is free.

Tremolat, a sleepy little village, has a free aire too.

Click on the map for co-ords.
Mike and Annie:)(y)

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Amazing response, thanks funsters. I'm now logging all the suggestions to take with us and put in some kind of order. The plan is no to plan too much, this is the best part of HM life. Really looking forward to visiting the area, glad we have three weeks.

Further suggestion welcome.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Regarding the Dordogne/Vezere/Lot area, some of the earlier entries in the thread what I've just started here may be of use.

I would also recommend (as I'm sure others have) Sarlat-le-Caneda, La Roque-Gageac, the Roque Saint-Christophe troglodyte village, Beynac et Cazenac, Lascaux II (tickets need buying in Montignac beforehand), the Rouffignac cave paintings, Castelnaud la Chappelle and the Gouffre de Padirac.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back