Don't you just love caravaners (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
How did you view it? I don't mean to be unfair perhaps I missed something. Presumably the pitch in front was free anyway so to ensure a sea view could the op not had taken that one. I don't see why the caravaner should not have taken an unoccupied pitch. I wouldn't have done if I thought I would spoil someone's view unless there were no other places available. But that's just me.
......I took it that as they were 15 feet in front of the pitch marker that they weren't really on the pitch.....with the cc, pitches normally start where the marker is......:)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
......I took it that as they were 15 feet in front of the pitch marker that they weren't really on the pitch.....with the cc, pitches normally start where the marker is......:)

We've all had the little chat in the site office where you have to be within a gnats whisker of being in line with the peg marker, some even demonstrate with corgi cars and caravans...:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've all had the little chat in the site office where you have to be within a gnats whisker of being in line with the peg marker, some even demonstrate with corgi cars and caravans...:whistle:
Oh yes :).......we've even found that the pitch fairy has moved the marker in the night too;)......just occasionally you understand:cool:.......but never by 15':LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
94 posts, and no one mentioned the obvious, France Aires solved at a stroke(y):)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Oh yes :).......we've even found that the pitch fairy has moved the marker in the night too;)......just occasionally you understand:cool:.......but never by 15':LOL:

Driving on the grass while trying to get on or off your hard standing is another punishable by death offence...;)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Just got settled at Keats farm Folkestone prior to going to France tomorrow ,the site is only a quarter full so at least 50 pitches available when a car and caravan stops right in front of my van and the couple in it start staring at us then bear in mind we are well into our second bottle of wine they then get out and start pointing at us , we where find this quite amusing this caused the lady caravaner to storm of to the wardens office . The warden came back all sheepish and asked us to move to another pitch as this couple wanted this pitch now I know I should have told him no but he was a nice bloke and we are going early ,so we moved to the next pitch and the couple proceed to amuse us for the next hour with there comical attempts to get their caravan set up which the nice warden then had to come and help them . Would any other of funsters have moved ?
I don't understand this at all. In any such situation surely the first word out of your mouth is "Why?".

I'll always accommodate someone if there is a good and fair reason to do so, but without an explanation how can you assess that for yourself? Liking your pitch better than others, staying on the same one every year without pre-booking (same thing), etc, are not valid reasons for trying to get anyone to move. Needing to be nearer the ablutions for mobility reasons, for instance, might well be.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I wondered why you put the word "abused" in speech marks - does that imply something different to what was reported? My interpretation was that the motorhomer was miffed at having moved to avoid one confrontation with someone but didn't get the same consideration when someone else parked infront of them, outside of the designated pitch.

I felt that their complaint was reasonable but your view was that it wasn't.

Where was it stated that the guy had booked the pitch?

Edited 15:30 as I hadn't finished the first response.
Because "abuse" could cover really rude ranting and swearing, which I hope, if reported to the warden result in a last chance warning or being asked to leave and on the other hand simply being asked not to pitch in that position as it spoils our view. Abuse can cover a wide area and we don't know what was said.

If it was the case that the person blocking the op's. view was actually outside the pitch, then yes it was right to ask him to move onto it but even then he could still be blocking the op's view all the same. In which case it would not be right to ask him to move since he would be entitled to choose that vacant pitch just as the op would have been

As to where was it stated that the guy had booked the pitch, I don't know I didn't mention that.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I don't understand this at all. In any such situation surely the first word out of your mouth is "Why?".

I'll always accommodate someone if there is a good and fair reason to do so, but without an explanation how can you assess that for yourself? Liking your pitch better than others, staying on the same one every year without pre-booking (same thing), etc, are not valid reasons for trying to get anyone to move. Needing to be nearer the ablutions for mobility reasons, for instance, might well be.
No guesses but Dux with Bad Bax can be grumpy o_O

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Similar thing happened to us at Bagwell last year. We had reserved a pitch with Old Mo and it was kept vacant for us - until another Funster decided they didn't like their existing pitch and moved very early in the morning to take up two whole pitches and more importantly, my allocated and paid for EHU and the only remaining one. Polite requests from other Funsters fell on deaf ears and when I asked I just got an a flat refusal and an earful. Wouldn't even move a few yards down to take up one pitch rather than spread across two. Nice!
David, I think you should name and shame. Only way. Or will they admit it themselves here and apologise?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
David, I think you should name and shame. Only way. Or will they admit it themselves here and apologise?
Nope - it is in the past and all done and dusted. Life is too short; it was just used to illustrate that this can happen anywhere

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So the guy has taken the trouble to book a particular pitch, warden cocks up, you just say " tough" hardly a friendly attitude.

Ian
Correct, go and bitch to the warden that directed me to the pitch. Friendly? So asking me to move after x number of hours, alcohol has been imbibed, Moho not in a move state, not very friendly asking me to move IMO.
I'm not going to get into an argument with you either, my answer would have been no, still no, in the future it will be no.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think if they had asked nicely and explained why I would probably have moved.

However if they started with stares and pointing then no bloody way would I move

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Oh don't! I once spun a wheel while exiting my pitch. I felt guilty for weeks. :doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You devil!
I had a similar no no experience a couple of weekends ago, the weather was good so decided to use the Cadac, as the bloke I'm obviously in charge of any al fresco cooking, heated up the Cadac only to discover I'd put the wrong griddle bit on it, bugger now it's roasting hot, managed to get it off with the tongs and put it on the floor, didn't think too much of it as me and cooking can be a stressful affair, it wasn't until we were packing up the next day when I discovered that the burnt ring of death was clearly visible in the grass, campers have died for such negligence..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've been running a stand at a show event this weekend. On arrival in the MH on Friday afternoon there were bugger all signs and nobody around to ask where to go, so we drove in the direction of the nearest group of rectangular white vehicles we could see, thinking that might be the MH parking area. Turns out they're caravans and the flags/banners are up on long fibre glass poles so we thought "Uh-Oh, Rally" and parked in a corner next to an open gate so I could go and find out where were supposed to go. I got out, slipped through the gate into the main arena and after a bit of wandering around found out what I needed to know. I needed to be somewhere else.

On my return to where the MH was parked I find the gate is now closed with some miserable looking git leaning on it as if to say You Will Not Pass. I politely said I needed to go through it and without a word he stepped back. I got in the MH and drove it back to the open gate we'd entered the field through and it's not only shut but is now tied up with a rope.

Now think about what's gone on in this silly little man's mind during the 15 minutes or so that I've been roaming the arena looking for advice. He's seen a non-caravan enter his sacred rally field, has got out of his caravan, and without bothering to talk to my wife in the MH he's roped up the entrance gate, then has walked a couple of hundred yards up the field and shut the other gate and leaned on it like a guard dog until my return. At no point did he say anything to either of us. Needless to say I made sure the gate was very firmly re-roped when we left.

Jeez.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You devil!
I had a similar no no experience a couple of weekends ago, the weather was good so decided to use the Cadac, as the bloke I'm obviously in charge of any al fresco cooking, heated up the Cadac only to discover I'd put the wrong griddle bit on it, bugger now it's roasting hot, managed to get it off with the tongs and put it on the floor, didn't think too much of it as me and cooking can be a stressful affair, it wasn't until we were packing up the next day when I discovered that the burnt ring of death was clearly visible in the grass, campers have died for such negligence..
I hope you flogged yourself with a wet nettles then slashed your wrists in penance? :LOL:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I hope you flogged yourself with a wet nettles then slashed your wrists in penance? :LOL:

Absolutely and I even closed the grey water tap as I pulled off the pitch and out of the site :D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Absolutely and I even closed the grey water tap as I pulled off the pitch and out of the site :D
Really? I wouldn't have gone that far, ripping nettles up and bleeding on the grass would have been enough IMO. :whistle:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Isn't it funny how some folks get extremely territorial with their pitches ? The windbreaks that would put the Maginot line to shame or the caravan net curtains that start twitching as I cut across their pitch and let my dogs wee against their wastemaster or fold up solar panel :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Isn't it funny how some folks get extremely territorial with their pitches ? The windbreaks that would put the Maginot line to shame..

Indeed. I've mentioned it on here before, but some years ago when our kids were young we spent a few weeks on a campsite at Bude in our old '75 VW Kombi. The neighbours could be seen hastily erecting their precious pitch boundary windbreak whenever we chugged back across the site from a family day at the beach. I think they didn't want to catch Hippy Disease.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Indeed. I've mentioned it on here before, but some years ago when our kids were young we spent a few weeks on a campsite at Bude in our old '75 VW Kombi. The neighbours could be seen hastily erecting their precious pitch boundary windbreak whenever we chugged back across the site from a family day at the beach. I think they didn't want to catch Hippy Disease.

Get off my land..!!!!! It's my pitch and I paid for it....:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::rofl::rofl:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I switched the kettle on one morning and blew a rather large fuse in the site power room, surprising how much power I was using for my electrified perimeter fence. :whistle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We returned to one French campsite after a day out, to find that someone had pulled a caravan out of storage and put it on "our" pitch while we were out. Despite having a reservation for 5 nights, and our big yellow Pitch Reserved sign in 3 languages. The site was only half full so this seemed very careless even for France. Nothing special about the pitch itself, but up with this sort of abuse we Brits will not put. The receptionist hastily apologised and summoned the dozy assistant to tow the caravan off to an empty pitch a respectful distance away so all's well ... etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back