Don't shoot the messenger! (1 Viewer)

I

I'm Spartacus

Deleted User
I have been reliably informed that the authorities plan to target over-width rv's in the coming year, any vehicle found to be over-width will receive a prohibition notice, which normally is only removed on rectification of the fault, as I say, don't shoot the messenger I am merely making you aware. Hopefully common sense will prevail and these checks will not go ahead, but the information did come from a 'senior' official.:Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A Prohibition noticed is removed automaticly when the vehicle concerned is re MoTd, as the width is not part of the MoT it will pass (asuming normal MoT criteria is met) I have revoked many with the original faults still present, ie many vehicles get a prohib notice for oil leaks, come in for re test,result, pass and advise oil leak, I cant fail for an oil leak as there is no standard to test too
Geo

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Maxiumum width, did not know there was one....

How wide can you go and what's included. Wing mirrors??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Maxiumum width, did not know there was one....

How wide can you go and what's included. Wing mirrors??

Max width = 2550mm (101.39") Including EVERYTHING except wingmirrors and indicators. FULL STOP! That is the law as it's written at the mo'
Which meens that MOST of us are overwidth because of the sun canopy and side-out awnings (where fitted) and in my case, wheel arech flares as well !
There is a rumour (and it's only that at the mo')) that the RVDA (Recreational Vehicle Dealers Assosiation) is in talks with the DVLA with a view to making that dimension a "flat sidewall to flat sidewall" dimension thus eliminating.......
wheel arch flares
awnings
boiler covers
grab
handles
locker surrounds.

BUT, it's only a rumour at the mo' and NOTHING has been seen in black and white.
I've just E-Mailed Les Botham of Ridgeset RV who is a member of the RVDA and has been posting regularly on the ARVE Forum about a possible forthcoming success in this area, BUT, he's gone VERY quiet recently and people are starting to get twitch again, ME included! :-(
For those that can't get on the ARVE Forum, I'll post the answer IF I get one.

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
So basically only RVs are at risk here?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Basically yes but not all of them
My Coahmen Mirada, at a super slim 96" has just doubled nay tripled in value:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
That's one reason we were careful to limit our wishlist to 99" nominal width. At least with the judicious use of a hammer & a hacksaw we MIGHT be able to squeeze in!

I really hope Mick 'n Pat have thought of the width restriction issue. The 2007 Fleetwood Disco 39S is 102" wide :Eeek:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
The RVDA assured us that RVs were now OK, and that accessories were being ignored as far as the width measurement went.

They claimed the DVLA had stopped measuring RVs.

It is now down to the importer to write down the width/length and, if under 2.55m and 12m it would pass. (I wonder how many write 2.55m for a 2.65m RV !!)

They are still doing some random tests and, again claimed by the RVDA, there is a "tolerance" for anything slightly over width. After several months, the RVDA have still been unable to state what the "tolerance" is.

Now, we all know the DVLA/VOSA had commissioned the SMMT to compile a List of legal width/length RVs.

For a while, that List was being used - even though it was missing a huge number of RVs.

When I registered my RV, I printed off the SMMT page which showed my RV as being Legal and handed it to the DVLA office and they passed it immediately.

Despite being told (by the RVDA) that the List is no longer of any use, I am confident that by carrying it in my RV I will have proof that, at the time of registration, my RV was considered Legal by the SMMT, DVLA and VOSA.

As such, and not wanting to invite the problem :winky:, I would be interested how they plan to penalise me for following their system.

The problem comes from the RVs registered AFTER that List was abolished - these are the RVs where the importer can lie on the form and state the vehicle is legal when it isn't - perhaps this new checking regime has been started (if it has actually started) due to illegal RVs being registered by a stupid self-declaration system.

Bring back the SMMT List is what I say !

Paul

PS

The RVDA are also claiming a success in that they have got the DVLA to recognise RVs as Heavy Cars and not P-HGVs.

This means you won't need a HGV test (scary thought) but it also means you will be classed in the same league as gas-guzzling 4x4s.

The Road Tax on P-HGVs is ÂŁ165 but ÂŁ180 if classed as a Heavy Car - and thats before they start attacking these "4x4-type vehicles" with enviro-friendly taxation.

Is that another success for the RVDA - I don't know.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The RVDA assured us that RVs were now OK, and that accessories were being ignored as far as the width measurement went.

The RVDA are also claiming a success in that they have got the DVLA to recognise RVs as Heavy Cars and not P-HGVs.

Is that another success for the RVDA - I don't know.

The RVDA have been claiming a hell of a lot............but so far, I've seen NOTHING in writting and until I do, I will remain worried! :-(
Which is why I E-Mailed Les Botham this morning because he's been very quiet recently!

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Zaskar

I'm with you 100%.

That's why I would rather rely on my own research.

I forgot to mention that whilst I was in the USA, and this whole thing had kicked off, I also got a letter from the tech team at Fleetwood, which stated that my RV is under 2.55m wide.

They simply quote " maximum 102" " on their website and brochures as that measurement is the maximum in most US States - so they are simply reassuring their US customers that their RV is Legal in the USA.

Paul

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I wanted a wider RV but with thing the way they were last year came home from the States with a completely differing vehicle than I intended to (glad I did with this rumour)

I bought a 96 in bodied one which was only a test vehicle but fallen in love with her.

trouble is I came home with spare cash that had now gone sadly (but where? :Doh::cry::cry:)

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: As Paul (ukrv). I was in the USA touring when this kicked off. DVLA refused registration of our RV in 2006. This year they allowed registration. :Eeek:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Les at the RVDA has just confirmed that he is not aware of any clampdown by the DVLA.

He claims it's business as usual.

Paul

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
....posts deleted......