Don't know what to go for rv or smaller

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Louxchris, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Louxchris

Louxchris Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    Myself husband and 2 children going to be full time and every now and again picking up my husbands 3 children maybe holidays etc ...UK only for now ....my 2 will be home schooling ... people saying it's hard to get to places and park etc with a rv ....any places long term ie a week to park ? X

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,641
    Well lots of people do not necessarily think - if you cannot get there in an RV then there would be no rubbish collections - deliveries - fire engines - etc. and quite simply if you can get a lorry there then you can get an RV there - how easy is the question. First thing to consider is what licence do you have to drive one - if its Pre 97 then you should have 7.5 tonne which would limit your choice if you or your husband have full HGV then anything that's legal on the road.

Sure a little VW van is so much easier to park in Tesco carparks but can you get what appears to be 5 kids in it ?? Sounds like you will need at least a large euro camper or a small RV

3. Louxchris

Louxchris Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    Yes so do I...husband has fully lorry licence:)

4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,328
  5. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Ratings:
    +2,381
    The RV will give you all the space you need but you will have to plan your routes I would also look at all the large euro vans aswell you can always put a motorhome safari room up when you have guests.

You need to go to as many dealers and shows and look at every van then you have to start looking at costs and your budget and do you intend to travel abroad and will you use campsites or aires.

Landy lover has give you some great advice already we have a 8.75 euro tag axle van we get most places we want to go but you do have to plan your routes and a good hgv sat nav or map will help.

You will get loads of advice start looking on ebay at different vans it will give you a idea of whats out there and cost

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,437
    So a potential for 7 seatbelts.....
    Even in an RV I think thats a tall order, some of those huge things i have been in only seem to have 2 at the front and then side seats. So check out belt arrangements if you plan to physically go on the road and carry 5 children.
    Sounds a great adventure on paper and I know many have done it in real life. Now you are a subscriber to MHF it will help you gather more information (y)

7. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +1,927
    Our van has six seat belts and sleeps six but it would be very cosy when full its 8.5mts

8. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Ratings:
    +1,374
    It's going to be a juggling act for sure.
    You need at least 4 seat belts (7 if taking hubby's kids too).
    What about sleeping arrangements?
    Will the kids have their own beds or will they be sharing?
    Do you want fixed beds or something you have to make up each night?
    How much garage space do you need?
    Where will the bicycles, awning, bbq and everything else live?
    Clothes, coats and shoes for all seasons take up plenty of room...

Hopefully not overwhelming you, just giving food for thought!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +16,747
    Our RV is 33' It technically sleeps eight, but my wife and I tell everyone (our family ;)) that it is two berth. Twin three seater rock and roll settee's each with lap belts, and a dinette that makes a double bed, again having two lap belts.

The layout works OK with the slides in, but is excellent when the slides are out, having enough space that no one is tripping over each other.

With most of our friends and families having motorhomes, a lot of them having RV's it isn't uncommon for 8 -10 people be sat having a drink and nibbles in the vans without any problem

You will also benefit from much larger capacity water, waste and built in LPG tanks plus a host of other benefits that are considered "standard" on RV's

As for driving some people "plan" the journeys, we don't bother. I have a navigation system that allows us to input height, weight, width, length and if we are towing or not (we sometimes tow a 27' boat/trailer just to spice things up lol)

We don't seem to have difficulty on sites, I tend to phone rather than book on line, but owning a campsite anyway I would do this anyway as someone on the phone being friendly is harder to say "No" to than the computer deciding that there is no space as one day overlaps! Often a simply asked question "could you leave on the Friday" will be the difference between having space or not.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  10. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Ratings:
    +241
    For full timing a RV is probably best. As well as the extra space there's a major advantage in the amount of water you can carry, and the length of time you can go between wasste/sewage emptying. There's enough RV dealers/service places about that spares and repairs/servicing aren't a major problem. However, from a personal point of view we had a RV for 20 years, and from day 1 we towed a car. I would never contemplate having another without a toad.

Malcolm

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Louxchris

Louxchris Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    My mind is pretty much made ...going to have lots of rv viewings and go from there ...want to message all day but unfortunately at work until tonight :( ....thank you all for your understanding and knowledge. Big help !

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +93,467
    IMO and with experience of doing exactly what you propose. I would say two fixed beds are a must. This can be achieved in a number of vans, both European and American. There are plenty of two bedroom vans and its normally ahchieved with a fixed bed at the rear and a dropdown bed over the cab. Only of late have RVs started adding drop down beds but if you look you'll often find bunk beds in RVs (and in some Europeans too) Some model RVs have a fixed bed, a drop down double a sofa/dinette double and bunkbeds..easily sleeping 8; though when travelling you'll need a couple in a car behind because the innefective/dangerous side facing belts mean you won't be able to all safely travel in the RV. Bedrooms; I've known people who carefully removed the main bed (to re-install later when selling) put a stud partition in an RV bedroom to make two small rooms, each with a bunk bed. Four kids, sorted all in their own room. Mum and dad slept on the fold out sofa bed. Only an RV with a bedroom slide will give you the space to do that effectivfley. Personally I would choose an American van for full timing with Kids, kids need space and so do you, especially if you are home ed'ing. Best of luck (y)

13. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Ratings:
    +1,960
    We have been fulltiming in an RV for five years with four home educated kids (y)
    It's a great way to live as a family.
    We've been renting a house for the last couple of months, though that's a temporary thing.

I wouldn't dream of fulltiming as a family in anything other than an RV with at least one lounge slide-out.
    You need space! :)

14. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +5,499
    We have a Mercedes R Class, they don't make them anymore but its a cracking car with 7 full sized seats oh & 265bhp from the V6 diesel just for fun. We regularly get 40-50mpg with ease, apparently the older ones used more fuel. So ours is the R350 & the last of them was 2013 which ours is. Beautiful car. With that & the moho we manage very nicely indeed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  15. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +16,747
    That has confused me lol

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +5,499
    Your confused Eddie!!!! I was brilliant at school, always giving a perfect answer to the wrong question. Then left school & joined The Scottish Ambulance Service & it all started again, perfect answer to the wrong question all over again. The miracle of it all is how I managed to get this far at all?????
    Who am I?
    What am I? (answers on a postcard)
    When am I?

Oh my heads gone all painful again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,446
    you get a lot more for your money with older rv's too

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Louxchris

Louxchris Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    :)) THANK YOU

19. Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy Funster

Ratings:
    +3,839
    This conjurs up a worrying scenario. The casualty says "My left leg is bleeding badly, can you please elevate it for me?" and you reply "Thank you. I'll have mine with salt and vinegar". :dance2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Donkster

Donkster Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi All
    Whats the best place to buy a American RV nowadays and have stingray motorhomes gone bust? Personally I would like to buy a 30ft American RV with slide outs.