Don't know what to go for rv or smaller (1 Viewer)

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Myself husband and 2 children going to be full time and every now and again picking up my husbands 3 children maybe holidays etc ...UK only for now ....my 2 will be home schooling ... people saying it's hard to get to places and park etc with a rv ....any places long term ie a week to park ? X

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well lots of people do not necessarily think - if you cannot get there in an RV then there would be no rubbish collections - deliveries - fire engines - etc. and quite simply if you can get a lorry there then you can get an RV there - how easy is the question. First thing to consider is what licence do you have to drive one - if its Pre 97 then you should have 7.5 tonne which would limit your choice if you or your husband have full HGV then anything that's legal on the road.

Sure a little VW van is so much easier to park in Tesco carparks but can you get what appears to be 5 kids in it ?? Sounds like you will need at least a large euro camper or a small RV

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes so do I...husband has fully lorry licence:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The RV will give you all the space you need but you will have to plan your routes I would also look at all the large euro vans aswell you can always put a motorhome safari room up when you have guests.

You need to go to as many dealers and shows and look at every van then you have to start looking at costs and your budget and do you intend to travel abroad and will you use campsites or aires.

Landy lover has give you some great advice already we have a 8.75 euro tag axle van we get most places we want to go but you do have to plan your routes and a good hgv sat nav or map will help.

You will get loads of advice start looking on ebay at different vans it will give you a idea of whats out there and cost

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So a potential for 7 seatbelts.....
Even in an RV I think thats a tall order, some of those huge things i have been in only seem to have 2 at the front and then side seats. So check out belt arrangements if you plan to physically go on the road and carry 5 children.
Sounds a great adventure on paper and I know many have done it in real life. Now you are a subscriber to MHF it will help you gather more information (y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It's going to be a juggling act for sure.
You need at least 4 seat belts (7 if taking hubby's kids too).
What about sleeping arrangements?
Will the kids have their own beds or will they be sharing?
Do you want fixed beds or something you have to make up each night?
How much garage space do you need?
Where will the bicycles, awning, bbq and everything else live?
Clothes, coats and shoes for all seasons take up plenty of room...

Hopefully not overwhelming you, just giving food for thought!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our RV is 33' It technically sleeps eight, but my wife and I tell everyone (our family ;)) that it is two berth. Twin three seater rock and roll settee's each with lap belts, and a dinette that makes a double bed, again having two lap belts.

The layout works OK with the slides in, but is excellent when the slides are out, having enough space that no one is tripping over each other.

With most of our friends and families having motorhomes, a lot of them having RV's it isn't uncommon for 8 -10 people be sat having a drink and nibbles in the vans without any problem

You will also benefit from much larger capacity water, waste and built in LPG tanks plus a host of other benefits that are considered "standard" on RV's

As for driving some people "plan" the journeys, we don't bother. I have a navigation system that allows us to input height, weight, width, length and if we are towing or not (we sometimes tow a 27' boat/trailer just to spice things up lol)

We don't seem to have difficulty on sites, I tend to phone rather than book on line, but owning a campsite anyway I would do this anyway as someone on the phone being friendly is harder to say "No" to than the computer deciding that there is no space as one day overlaps! Often a simply asked question "could you leave on the Friday" will be the difference between having space or not.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
For full timing a RV is probably best. As well as the extra space there's a major advantage in the amount of water you can carry, and the length of time you can go between wasste/sewage emptying. There's enough RV dealers/service places about that spares and repairs/servicing aren't a major problem. However, from a personal point of view we had a RV for 20 years, and from day 1 we towed a car. I would never contemplate having another without a toad.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My mind is pretty much made ...going to have lots of rv viewings and go from there ...want to message all day but unfortunately at work until tonight :( ....thank you all for your understanding and knowledge. Big help !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
IMO and with experience of doing exactly what you propose. I would say two fixed beds are a must. This can be achieved in a number of vans, both European and American. There are plenty of two bedroom vans and its normally ahchieved with a fixed bed at the rear and a dropdown bed over the cab. Only of late have RVs started adding drop down beds but if you look you'll often find bunk beds in RVs (and in some Europeans too) Some model RVs have a fixed bed, a drop down double a sofa/dinette double and bunkbeds..easily sleeping 8; though when travelling you'll need a couple in a car behind because the innefective/dangerous side facing belts mean you won't be able to all safely travel in the RV. Bedrooms; I've known people who carefully removed the main bed (to re-install later when selling) put a stud partition in an RV bedroom to make two small rooms, each with a bunk bed. Four kids, sorted all in their own room. Mum and dad slept on the fold out sofa bed. Only an RV with a bedroom slide will give you the space to do that effectivfley. Personally I would choose an American van for full timing with Kids, kids need space and so do you, especially if you are home ed'ing. Best of luck (y)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have been fulltiming in an RV for five years with four home educated kids (y)
It's a great way to live as a family.
We've been renting a house for the last couple of months, though that's a temporary thing.

I wouldn't dream of fulltiming as a family in anything other than an RV with at least one lounge slide-out.
You need space! :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Myself husband and 2 children going to be full time and every now and again picking up my husbands 3 children maybe holidays etc ...UK only for now ....my 2 will be home schooling ... people saying it's hard to get to places and park etc with a rv ....any places long term ie a week to park ? X

We have a Mercedes R Class, they don't make them anymore but its a cracking car with 7 full sized seats oh & 265bhp from the V6 diesel just for fun. We regularly get 40-50mpg with ease, apparently the older ones used more fuel. So ours is the R350 & the last of them was 2013 which ours is. Beautiful car. With that & the moho we manage very nicely indeed.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have a Mercedes R Class, they don't make them anymore but its a cracking car with 7 full sized seats oh & 265bhp from the V6 diesel just for fun. We regularly get 40-50mpg with ease, apparently the older ones used more fuel. So ours is the R350 & the last of them was 2013 which ours is. Beautiful car.
That has confused me lol

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Your confused Eddie!!!! I was brilliant at school, always giving a perfect answer to the wrong question. Then left school & joined The Scottish Ambulance Service & it all started again, perfect answer to the wrong question all over again. The miracle of it all is how I managed to get this far at all?????
Who am I?
What am I? (answers on a postcard)
When am I?

Oh my heads gone all painful again.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you get a lot more for your money with older rv's too

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Your confused Eddie!!!! I was brilliant at school, always giving a perfect answer to the wrong question. Then left school & joined The Scottish Ambulance Service & it all started again, perfect answer to the wrong question all over again.

This conjurs up a worrying scenario. The casualty says "My left leg is bleeding badly, can you please elevate it for me?" and you reply "Thank you. I'll have mine with salt and vinegar". :dance2:

Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All
Whats the best place to buy a American RV nowadays and have stingray motorhomes gone bust? Personally I would like to buy a 30ft American RV with slide outs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi All
Whats the best place to buy a American RV nowadays and have stingray motorhomes gone bust? Personally I would like to buy a 30ft American RV with slide outs.
You might be better starting off a completely new thread with the title reflecting your question as it's likely to get more responses.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

Lots of sites and cls I've been to would get you in easy!!! And if you play your cards right, you can stay a lot longer than a week!!

I'm on a lovely little CL now, no showers but everything else! Good luck to you! Enjoy! Xxx

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All
An RV with slides......hope you have a cat C (HGV) licence.
You will get a 7500kg RV (probably downplated from 8 or 9 tons) with ONE slide but more than one and you're look at over 7500kg.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
An RV with slides......hope you have a cat C (HGV) licence.
You will get a 7500kg RV (probably downplated from 8 or 9 tons) with ONE slide but more than one and you're look at over 7500kg.

My 29' Thor Four Winds with twin slides was 6577gvw with 941kgs payload straight from factory.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My 29' Thor Four Winds with twin slides was 6577gvw with 941kgs payload straight from factory.
One of the few then.
My 33ft Rexhall with ONE 12ft slide was 15000LBS downplated from 17000LBS with f##k all payload.

'ang on....the fourwinds is a coachbuilt, my slide-out weighed more than your cab.
I was referring to a proper RV....an A class. :p

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back