Don't know if it's been proven (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
image.jpeg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Also saw on the News this morning that you really should be washing the packaging before putting food away in fridge \ freezer \ cupboards!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Also saw on the News this morning that you really should be washing the packaging before putting food away in fridge \ freezer \ cupboards!
Or, alternatively put your shopping in isolation for 24 hours. Shopped yesterday, took out anything needed immediately and stuff that needed to go in the fridge, wiped it and put it away. The rest is sitting in the MH in the bags. Will make sure the fridge is on next week so that can be used too.

Also, read the front and back pages of the newspaper, throw it away, wash your hands and then read the rest. They are machine folded, so uncontaminated.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought everyone was doing that already. I thought I was getting ocd yesterday when I found myself spraying a aubergine with dilute bleach then washing it/drying before putting it in the fridge but think next time you go shopping how many people rummage through the box trying to find the best one!!!!. I think for food packed in hard plastic it's supposed to be up to 3 days if you put it in the fridge I don't think there are any studies but I would have thought it likely that the virus will live longer.
Just realised I meant washing food and packaging not the ?. I think the dog thing is probably wrong after all if you wash it once a week what happens the day after if it picks something up. We are being careful to keep ours on the lead if there are other ones around after all it's a bit like taking your hearth rug and rubbing it against someone elses probably not recommended at the moment!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I thought everyone was doing that already. I thought I was getting ocd yesterday when I found myself spraying a aubergine with dilute bleach then washing it/drying before putting it in the fridge but think next time you go shopping how many people rummage through the box trying to find the best one!!!!. I think for food packed in hard plastic it's supposed to be up to 3 days if you put it in the fridge I don't think there are any studies but I would have thought it likely that the virus will live longer.
Just realised I meant washing food and packaging not the ?. I think the dog thing is probably wrong after all if you wash it once a week what happens the day after if it picks something up. We are being careful to keep ours on the lead if there are other ones around after all it's a bit like taking your hearth rug and rubbing it against someone elses probably not recommended at the moment!
Don’t think I would use bleach, however well diluted on fruit or veg, after all you wouldn’t drink it.

Passed this info on to family and friends and was very surprised when my OCD DIL replied that she had never even thought of washing the shopping.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think the RSPCA have given out some advise that you CANNOT catch Corona off your pets.
Apparently they have been receiving lots of dumped animals :doh:

I am with Two on tour, great thread to be started by a supplier... :wink:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I think the RSPCA have given out some advise that you CANNOT catch Corona off your pets.
Apparently they have been receiving lots of dumped animals :doh:

I am with Two on tour, great thread to be started by a supplier... :wink:
I think we are going to see a lot of dumped animals, especially from those who have little or no outside space. One walk a day is no good if you are in that situation.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I wouldn’t use bleach on fruit or veg. I half fill the sink with cold water and add vinegar, leave the fruit and veg in it for 5 minutes, then dry on a clean tea towel. I was told in a food hygiene course that vinegar changes the Ph of the surface, making it more difficult for bacteria to live. I’m guessing it would stop a virus living on the surface too.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
My daughter gets her dog to stand in a diluted dettol solution so she can wash it's feet after each walk. It's not that she thinks the dog might get Covid 19 but that the virus might be on the dog's feet and she doesn't want it brought into the house.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
My daughter gets her dog to stand in a diluted dettol solution so she can wash it's feet after each walk. It's not that she thinks the dog might get Covid 19 but that the virus might be on the dog's feet and she doesn't want it brought into the house.
Might try that with ours But ours is so stupid, he would probably drink it!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think people should be banned from reporting these things without the clinical evidence to back their "theories" at best up. These types of stories lead to animal shelters being overwhelmed with nervous owners that believe this stuff. It's fake news...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don’t think I would use bleach, however well diluted on fruit or veg, after all you wouldn’t drink it.

Passed this info on to family and friends and was very surprised when my OCD DIL replied that she had never even thought of washing the shopping.
don't you effectively drink it very diluted all the time if your water is chlorinated.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
don't you effectively drink it very diluted all the time if your water is chlorinated.
Yes, but very diluted. I seem to remember that Milton was recommended for washing veg but thorough rinsing was recommended. You can’t rinse off any that has soaked in, especially on soft fruit.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, but very diluted. I seem to remember that Milton was recommended for washing veg but thorough rinsing was recommended. You can’t rinse off any that has soaked in, especially on soft fruit.
Yes as I said it was just seeing everyone rummage through the box of aubergines!!!. The concentration recommend by the CDC in the states is pretty low 2 teaspoons a pint the effect is supposed to be straight away and it rinses off fairly easy.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wouldn’t use bleach on fruit or veg. I half fill the sink with cold water and add vinegar, leave the fruit and veg in it for 5 minutes, then dry on a clean tea towel. I was told in a food hygiene course that vinegar changes the Ph of the surface, making it more difficult for bacteria to live. I’m guessing it would stop a virus living on the surface too.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that vinegar disinfects CV-19.

<Broken link removed>

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Dettol is poison to a dog...…….Ordinary soap would do the job perfectly, please ask her to stop doing this.

Might try that with ours But ours is so stupid, he would probably drink it!
Please don't........

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Apparently Nuns (there were no nurses) washed their hands in vinegar between Plague victims, to slow the contamination down.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Apparently Nuns (there were no nurses) washed their hands in vinegar between Plague victims, to slow the contamination down.
I think they also thought lots of strange things about health matters. As an acid it might well kill microbes but so would bleach as an alkali.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back