Don't do this in San Francisco (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
For those folks touring the U.S., either in their recently purchased motorhome or a rental one, there are many must-see sights across the USA. Anyone coming to San Francisco has to drive down Lombard Street, billed as 'the windiest street in the world'. But, as you'll see from the photos, this should not be attempted in a motorhome. I'm told that a tour bus driver once attempted this and it took several cranes to extract the bus. I suspect the driver was looking for another job shortly thereafter.

Attachments

• LombardSt-down.jpg
    LombardSt-down.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 69
  • LombardSt_up.jpg
    LombardSt_up.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tom,
In Cornwall or Deven and some parts of Wales, that road would have an M prefix ie M21:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
In Cornwall or Deven and some parts of Wales, that road would have an M prefix ie M21...

I know George. When I used to travel a road over the mountain from one valley in Wales to another, the car was brushing the bushes on both sides. Lots of blind turns, but that didn't slow us down. Drove faster at night of course.

When I took our daughter and son in law to the UK several years ago, I drove that road in the rental car the way I remembered driving it. Scared the heck out of my SIL in the back seat :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What is it with hire cars:Doh:

You always become a GP driver:roflmto::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
What is it with hire cars ... You always become a GP driver

Remember John that I drove this same road in my own car for many years (and on motorcycles before that). If anything, my driving was a little slower in the rental car, but only until I got used to the roads again ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi tom,

san-fantastic city.:thumb:

i sat for about an hour at the bottom of lombard just waiting for a runaway for a photo. no such luck :cry:

one hell of a walk back up with waterbottle on one hand, camera in the other and a cigarette hanging out my mouth.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

john.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL PJ, San Francisco streets can take the puff out of you, especially if you're a smoker ::bigsmile: In all the years I've taken visitors around the city, I've never seen a runaway car on Lombard Street. OTOH they do occasionally get a cable car that fails to stop.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
LOL PJ, San Francisco streets can take the puff out of you, especially if you're a smoker ::bigsmile: In all the years I've taken visitors around the city, I've never seen a runaway car on Lombard Street. OTOH they do occasionally get a cable car that fails to stop.

the way the cablecar guys scream and shout at bad drivers it wouldn't matter anyway. best way to see that part of the city though even if a little crowded and a long line waiting at market turnaround.:thumb:

we bought a citypass but no-one stamped it so we got a fortnights use for a weeks money.:Blush:
pity the cablecars dont run down lombard, now that would be FUN!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back