'Dongles' (1 Viewer)

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Luckily for all those wishing to download an episode of Friends from the top of Ben Nevis, or more realistically, while travelling on a train, the mobile broadband "dongle" (a sexy name for a modem on a USB stick) is here and it's getting cheaper all the time.

The dongle is a small device that can be plugged straight into a computer and gives the user instant internet access wherever there is mobile coverage. Users can plug it into a laptop, which can then be used to access the internet at home, in the office, and at every stage in between. The customer pays for the dongle itself, and then a monthly or pre-pay rate for internet access.

Vodafone, T-Mobile and Orange all offer one basic rate, giving varying levels of speed and download capabilities, although Vodafone plans to bring in a higher rate this summer with a higher download limit of 5GB per month. On the other hand, 3 gives three different rates with different download limits. 3 are also the only company to offer the same rates as a pre-pay option, without the contractual obligations, ideal for people who find it difficult to get credit.

Full story can be seen:

HERE

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I took delivery of the T-Mobile dongle two weeks ago!
Its pretty good!
I took delivery of the T-Mobile USB stick last Friday!
Its much better!
And in realistic terms it gives me actual download speeds of 1.95 MB!
The best i have had yet and i have had the data card, the MDA, the Nokia N73, The Dongle, and the USB stick!
I have gunned them all!
The USB stick is said to be future proof and i have to say its the best yet!

PS. T-Mobile are shareing network resources with 3 soon which will give them the best coverage in the UK!

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Dongles

Hello

The Three dongle is on offer at present at £7.50 per month!

Russell

Digger driver - how do you know that T mobile and Three will be sharing resources etc???? Sounds too good to be true, but I hope it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hello

Russell

Digger driver - how do you know that T mobile and Three will be sharing resources etc???? Sounds too good to be true, but I hope it is.

There was a stand opposite the "fun" stand at Newark saying exactly the same, & I've been waiting for it to happen before jumping in. :thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello

It was announced last December. If you type "T-mobile Three share" (without ") into Google there are stacks of articles about it. It's going to take about another 18 months or so to roll it out over the whole of the UK but hopefully it will be good for those of us who have bought their dongles.

Graham

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello

Russell

I saw it on BBCs news 24 buisiness programme a while ago!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
recently got mine from 3, works a treat so far well pleased:Smile:
ruth

M

mnd

Deleted User
I currently use a Vodafone USB 7.2 BB dongle which I purchased and subscribe to a contract @£15 pm.

This dongle is SIM card based, could I simply buy a new card from the 3/tmobile merger in the future and use it in the dongle once my existing contract expires?
dave

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
The Times online also says:

The 'dongle' - the end of home phones?

In fact, with BT charging up to £124.99 for reconnection or to set up a new line when you move home, dongles could be a viable alternative for anyone who does not already have a BT line.

More on this:

HERE

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
dongles